Carbon filtering rum with PVC pipe

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Stumpy Al
Novice

Carbon filtering rum with PVC pipe

Post by Stumpy Al »

Rum Filtering I use 24" 2" PVC with carbon inside. Coffee filters at both ends.... Turns out great...
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Carbon filtering rum

Post by greggn »

Stumpy Al wrote:Rum Filtering I use 24" 2" PVC with carbon inside. Coffee filters at both ends.... Turns out great...

What proof are you running through that PVC ? At 2" x 24" that's not so large as to not switch to copper or stainless.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Re: Carbon filtering rum with PVC pipe

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Split this part off the original thread as the other one has good info. This did not.

You can discuss whether or not to filter aged rum to make it white or not. But if you choose to carbon your rum, don't do it in PVC , and certainly don't suggest it (pvc) on this forum. No plastics.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

+1 SCD.
Do never ever run other than low proof ferment trough ANY kind of plastics..!
What's wrong with finding a piece of 1,5 " stainless steel pipe..?
Hell, it doesn't even have to be expensive 316 steel...a low grade 200 series will do as you don't deal with hot vapors etc.
A stainless steel funnel to fill the liquid in will be thrown at you for a couple of bucks on Ebay.
I bought two...each 3 $...
I certainly don't see the point of creating flavored spirits and then throw it through carbon. :roll:
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

The primer for PVC glue is the exact same compounds in a normal heads cut, that is to say you can but those compounds for the express purpose of dissolving the surface of the pipe. That isn't just a bad idea its horrendous. Please stop and do not consume any spirit you filtered through it, its not even junkahole quality now, its weed killer and fire starter.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

PVC is a known carcinogen. You don’t want to consume it, especially when dissolved by heads (dyketones).

Here, read this warning: http://www.healthychild.org/easy-steps/ ... -products/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

It’s serious...don’t consume what you’ve run.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

I know Der Wo has made a carbon filter with PP and PE. It looks like some rainpipe.
He claimed the used PP and PE were used for watergrids and approved food safe.
He used a pipe of 50 mm, to prevent a so called wall effect, or a flow alongside the walls in stead of through the carbon. Supposedly occurring at smaller inner diameters than 38 mm.
Total length of the pipe was 100 cm.

I do not think Der Wo is a reckless stiller, so I take his design serious. On the other hand: if I could choose between PP or ss or even iron, I would choose the metal over the plastic.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Why filter perfectly good rum to start with ..........or is it less than good?
Maybe you need to think about the way your fermenting , distilling or making your cuts if it needs filtering.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Salty , maybe its to replicate Baccardi :?: They filter after aging
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Yummyrum wrote:maybe its to replicate Baccardi :?: They filter after aging
Glad you cleared that up Yummy, if that's what filtering does to rum I think I'll stick to doing it my way. :thumbup:
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Bundaberg do the same with their Bundaberg 5 which means filtered five times after aging and silver which I think is filtered before aging but I will bet London to a brick it ain't filtered through a piece of bloody PVC. You would have to use lead pipe to find worse product.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
kekedog13
Bootlegger

Post by kekedog13 »

A friend uses a Britta water filter to much improve store bought vodka. Really seems to do fine, and he doesn't even make shine.
Yahoo Mountain Dew ! It'll Tickle You're Innards !
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

I don't know how to respond to that, guess its at least posted in the right topic
Edit OK guys I don't want to seem unkind but PVC and plastic Britts filters really :wtf: (understandably we are starting to get complaints). Both have been covered before and this from guys that have been around for half a dozen years
Guys you really should know a little more about safe materials by now, these suggestions are just appalling.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Warnings have been issued .Remember 8. These forums take a very strong negative view on the use of plastics and synthetics in distilling. It simply is not safe to use these during any part of the distillation process. HPDE buckets are acceptable for fermentation. There simply are too many types of plastics and a lack of reliable information for us to reliably advocate their use anywhere in the distillation apparatus. Also, from past posting history, this topic seems to quickly boil down into an almost religious flame war. Thus we simply will not put up with it, and posts about any form of plastic use will be edited, deleted or locked. There is a forum for proven info for or against any material (material/safety.)
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
ibfestus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ibfestus »

Hello...I use a very simple pot still and collect hearts. I oak them for a bit but have never tried using charcoal. I'm certain that hot alcohol should never come into contact with anything except copper or stainless steel. But I see and I have drunk a lot of alcohol that was sold in plastic bottles... How can cooled alcohol filtered through a plastic container of charcoal for 5 minutes be contaminated when Old Crow and other liquors sit on a store shelf in a plastic bottle for months?

Just curious. I usually get about 750 ML of usable 55% ABV from my little pot still every time I fire it up. But, I'm 73 now and 750 ML helps me through a days work.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

I know that is a practice in the states with bottom shelf crap its not legal here thank God. Most here would be hoping to do a little better than a $6 jug of rot gut but here's the thing about plastics there are thousands of types and maybe one is sorta touch and go ok ish with spirits but I'm darn sure none of them bottles are PVC. Most likely they are PET bottles but before ya say well hunky dory then, get ya self one put some water in it and leave it on the window will a few weeks and take yourself a chug. Now water ain't half the solvent likker is but ya might notice all them soft drinks/ pop got a fairly short use by date ya didn't see on glass back when, wonder why that is.
Years ago we had a mean old heat wave got around and over 130' and in my brew shed holy smokes ya couldn't draw breathe in there. We I had 170 long necks of beer blow up on me I was aging, that's a lot of hard to get bottles and a lot of beer wasted and I was thinking of chucking the towel in then someone told me coke bottles are the go. The seal and they don't blow tasted one not the best but not bad. What I didn't get told was don't age in them. So I turn into a brewing fool batch after batch to replace what I lost and some. About three or four months later I finished my glass survivors and crack one of these plastics, gawd almidey it was wretched . I tried some of the next batch then the next, the younger it was the better but it was pretty grim and made me and every one of my friends sicker than hell. Prolly been 25 years since I drank Old crow but I still vividly recall waking up scare I was gonna die and shortly later even more scared I wouldn't, I'm damn sure I won't be drinking it out of some glorified plastic milk jug but everyone can just do as they please.