Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Re: Mice got into my cracked corn

Post by Honest_Liberty »

acfixer69 wrote:
Honest_Liberty wrote:If it is worth anything, my adjacent response is:

1. rinse it off and if you don't smell urine then that should be fine? I dunno, I just scooped out the surrounding handful when one got into my corn sack, which led to #2
2. I bought a RIGID metal gangbox for work as a glazier. I've since gotten back into lending (thank god! no more freezing and sweating with the seasons), BUT...

I kept the 5ft x 2ft gang box for grain storage. Ain't nothin gettin in there. $400 bucks was worth every penny. Then again, I just pay for what I want instead of trying to go cheap. In fact I'm about to buy the 1/2 BBL conical stainless steel fermenter from SSBrewtech with heating and cooling. I know a lot of people are against just spending the money to do it turnkey from the beginning, but I'm done with trying to put things together piecemeal.

It is worth even just the 4x2 for $300 or find one on craigslist for about $150. then you will never have to worry about mice again :)
If mice get in mine it's bird food or compost. Them bo weavels amd mold spores got no challenge there in the box.

Pardon, I don't understand what you mean by your response. I mean, I'm from Appalachia but I'm not picking up on "Them bo weavels amd mold spores got no challenge there in the box." Do you mean they have no challenge getting into the box? I can assure you it is literally impossible for them to get into this sealed metal gangbox. If you meant something else I don't understand. My apologies but I also don't know about the mold spores. I'm in Colorado now so humidity is a thing of the past for me, plus the box is sealed with a decent amount of weight on top
Sweetfeed 100 proof for drinking white
All grain bourbon for testing my patience
Whatever else is left goes to the Homefree, because, I hate waste
Reverend Newer
Swill Maker

Post by Reverend Newer »

People wasting grain because of pests/bugs makes me think they never been hungry and might not be living in reality. :shock:

Everyone with sense knows when you add water to grain and soak it a bit, whatever floats is ruint, what sinks is fine. Even weevils, bugs and rat-shit floats at the start... if it worries you, strain it out, otherwise yer not for real moonshine'n imo. Next.
spiritually taxed circa 1791
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

If it worrys you then ain't no need to ask.
It won't no joke growin up but lookin back
it kinda dulls the edges.

Jerry clower. Rat killin

So I'm tole
CatCrap
Swill Maker

Post by CatCrap »

Good to see you still around, Goose!

Always provide a seasoned veteran's perspective, and the advice and wisdom only experience can bring.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Yeah Rev I try not to preach too much. I'm off a a farm in red dirt poor country seen mice and rat plagues most wouldn't believe and sorting good from not wasn't something we had the privilege to contemplate. Most folks haven't lived through that and not down for it :thumbup:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Hi,

My dad, born in 1903, used to help stack jute bags of wheat at the railway station. And in the mouse plagues, despite tin guards around the stacks, the mice got in. They ate their way into the lower bags which became loose and the whole stacks collapsed.

Geoff
The Baker
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

years ago I watched the documentary that contained this footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOwinLWrEIw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
be water my friend
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

:lol: yep that's from my home state to the west a bit , next vid that follows is closer. @ the baker yeah we'd stack screenings in jute bags (I've bagged up hundreds of em and stacked em in barns). Use to have fun in there as a kid with a torch, a 22 and spoggy shot, Wyatt Erp of ratsville :twisted:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
SpiritOf76
Novice

Post by SpiritOf76 »

Definitely mice from seed to sale. I wouldn't think it would be a problem considering you're going to 1) steralize through boiling the grain 2) steralize through alcohol formation 3) steralize by boiling the mash 4) capturing steam and condensing, not a bit of solids. I don't know squat about hantavirus but unless it develops a toxin and leaves that behind (like the bacteria that cause food poisoning) there won't be a problem. (with foodstuffs it's different because the bacterium gets destroyed but the toxins already produced do not get destroyed) No organism will survive all that cooking.

Meanwhile, I have discovered that mice like yeast. Litte fkrs found my DADY and ate half a pound.
in search of a clever signature...
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I had the problem with mice a few years ago then bought these sealed animal food containers to store my grain.
6BCB0F3C-BDED-40A8-95BD-1C32FE843C33.jpeg
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

zapata wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:50 pm Mice around here will sometimes chew through buckets and tubs. I store bulk grain in plastic bags inside galvanized trashcans.
+1
Same as dog food, store bagged grains in a galvanized garbage can to keep out the critters.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Hi,
We are just starting to get some mice here now.
Off topic:
Worse than the mice are the phone and internet scammers.
I was offered a free $50 gift from the supermarket, and had a phone call just now
from 'Visa and Mastercard'.
So many people steal for a living!

Geoff
The Baker