What is leaching out of my solder? (Pics)

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bobbywolf
Novice

What is leaching out of my solder? (Pics)

Post by Bobbywolf »

For my 3" Boka, I use small marbles as packing, retained by a copper end plate that is drilled and has copper bars soldered to prevent marbles packing and plugging the holes. The solder used was "Oatey Safe Flo Lead Free Solder" pn 53062.

Luckily, I took photos of when I built it, roughly 1 1/2 years ago, and here it is present day, with lots of runs through it.
Before
Before
Before
After
After
After

From what I understand, many of the members here built their stills using this solder, myself included. However, the solder is eroding away over use, likely leaching something into my boiler, and possibly even my product. I can not tell any change in taste or anything offputting because of this. As far as I can tell, this is limited to this retainer plate, and the solder joints in the still itself have not eaten away like this. Could this be because it is directly on top of the boiler, in contact with the boiling wash?

Does anyone else have solder directly in line with their vapour path and have pitting like this?
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: What is leaching out of my solder? (Pics)

Post by StillerBoy »

From observation of the pictures, the original build shows lots of what is called cold soldering, in other words, the solder was melted instead of allowing it to flow, by heating the solder hotter that the material being soldered, you can crystallize the solder thereby overtime it will weaken the solder.. so after a period, 1.5 yrs of regular usage, you have develop whats in the second picture..

I would try to reheating the joint, by adding some paste, using a very small flame or iron, and should be good as new..

This link shows what the difference are of proper soldered joints..https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-gui ... n-problems" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein