Don’t use bottles like this well known Japanese brand do!!!

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

johnsparrow
Bootlegger

Don’t use bottles like this well known Japanese brand do!!!

Post by johnsparrow »

suntory.jpg

Golly.
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Re: Don’t use bottles like this well known Japanese brand do

Post by DSmith78 »

Looks to me like this manufacturer didn't undertake the recommended forum reading before bottling their product.....
There are three types of people in this world - those who can do maths and those who cannot.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Profit before people. It’s the way of our world.

And people bitch about regulations.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Yes exactly, do not do this. Rule #8 is there for a reason and if you bother reading it it clearly outlines that reason, so why don't we read them together one more time

8. These forums take a very strong negative view on the use of plastics and synthetics in distilling. It simply is not safe to use these during any part of the distillation process. HPDE buckets are acceptable for fermentation. There simply are too many types of plastics and a lack of reliable information for us to reliably advocate their use anywhere in the distillation apparatus. Also, from past posting history, this topic seems to quickly boil down into an almost religious flame war. Thus we simply will not put up with it, and posts about any form of plastic use will be edited, deleted or locked. There is a forum for proven info for or against any material (material/safety.)

and repeat after me There simply are too many types of plastics and a lack of reliable information for us to reliably advocate their use anywhere in the distillation apparatus. Also, from past posting history, this topic seems to quickly boil down into an almost religious flame war. Thus we simply will not put up with it, and posts about any form of plastic use will be edited, deleted or locked.

If one type of plastic is used people start thinking 7UP bottles and milk jugs and all kinds of other plastics are ok then end up getting all kinds of poison into their products. Every so often someone comes here and decides to start crap about plastics and that appears to be going on now. I'm not a moderator but the people starting all this crap about plastics need to stop. Follow the rules or leave the damn forum.
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

Amen Cranky!
"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it."
paddy1000111
Novice

Post by paddy1000111 »

Don't start. I've already had a telling off for saying how gin manufacturers transport their neutrals and what the output pipes of large distillerys are made from :lol: this forum and some of its members are unfortunately very archaic, it's surprising that the site exists and it isn't a mail-in magazine. I have posted about independent scientific tests and their results, but it will still get you a warning :roll:

I believe in education and guidance, not banning discussion of a topic. If you give a kid rules and don't talk about alcohol and say its bad they get to 21 and drink like mad and end up I'll. Teach them about alcohol, let them understand it and discuss it openly and they leave wiser and are more responsible. If you tell someone to use copper and they use lead that's their fault? You tell someone to use PTFE and they use rubber or something worse then it's THEIR FAULT!

I get it, plastics can be bad. Start a section for discussion and learning and reserve all discussion of plastics to that. If you want to live in the blind side of plastics and never learn what the stampings and standards are then don't go to that bit of the forum, simple...

Anyway, I got told off and because I posted in this section I will probably get banned but I don't care anymore. I try I to help people learn (I'm an degree level engineer) but if we can't talk about things in a forum dedicated to what is in most countries (luckily not mine) an illegal activity then what's the point? Our world is becoming increasingly more PC but now banning talk on plastics? Get a grip.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Hey paddy, be careful. If you want to play here...you must play by our rules. You agreed to it when you signed up. Now, live up to your commitment.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

The problem is Paddy , and this is just my opinion, if you let someone use one sort of plastic you open the flood gates to all.
Give people an inch and they will take a mile, its human nature.
Common sense becomes less common by the day.
Easier to just say no to all.
paddy1000111 wrote:how gin manufacturers transport their neutrals and what the output pipes of large distillerys are made from
Because some large manufacturers, but not all, choose NOT to set a high standard for their product, does that mean they are right and that we are wrong, and that we should also let our standards drop?
Last edited by Saltbush Bill on Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

paddy1000111 wrote:Don't start. I've already had a telling off for saying how gin manufacturers transport their neutrals and what the output pipes of large distillerys are made from :lol: this forum and some of its members are unfortunately very archaic, it's surprising that the site exists and it isn't a mail-in magazine. I have posted about independent scientific tests and their results, but it will still get you a warning :roll:

I believe in education and guidance, not banning discussion of a topic. If you give a kid rules and don't talk about alcohol and say its bad they get to 21 and drink like mad and end up I'll. Teach them about alcohol, let them understand it and discuss it openly and they leave wiser and are more responsible. If you tell someone to use copper and they use lead that's their fault? You tell someone to use PTFE and they use rubber or something worse then it's THEIR FAULT!

I get it, plastics can be bad. Start a section for discussion and learning and reserve all discussion of plastics to that. If you want to live in the blind side of plastics and never learn what the stampings and standards are then don't go to that bit of the forum, simple...

Anyway, I got told off and because I posted in this section I will probably get banned but I don't care anymore. I try I to help people learn (I'm an degree level engineer) but if we can't talk about things in a forum dedicated to what is in most countries (luckily not mine) an illegal activity then what's the point? Our world is becoming increasingly more PC but now banning talk on plastics? Get a grip.
If you don't mind getting banned we can help you there. As far as a forum for discussion of plastics that is not going to happen. The rules make that clear. If you were to bring something new and not just I'm real smart and they do it, you might get a conversation going.
Let us know if we can help you OUT.
paddy1000111
Novice

Post by paddy1000111 »

What is the new thing that you could bring to the discussion apart from independent scientific testing and the case studies that go with it?! :roll:
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Well just my 2 cents. While some specialty forms of plastic may be used in the sale of liquor how are we the lowly unscientific members supposed to decide what is usable and what is not . Is there a definite marking on all plastic bottles saying they are safe for alcohol? Probably not. Therefore to create a safe environment for ALL our users it is been deemed safer to reject all plastics for the safety of members here. We all don't have that college degree but are pretty darned proficient in our skills. OK so plastic is used by some distributors. At what proofage does it become unstable. Would you store some really nice 95% neutral in a bottle with ABV parameters of less than 45% Probably not so there again let us be on the safe side and say "No use of plastics in the storage of our spirits".
In truth it is just too easy to use proper storage methods for the amount of liquor we make at the hobby level. So why take that chance. You may do what you want , myself, I will use glass for my spirits.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I almost flagged this when I first read it as the title was ”use bottles like this well known Japanese brand do” but then realized it was in the ”What Not To Use/Do thread. Because not everyone reads in what thread the post originated I felt it necessary to change the title to ”Don’t use bottles like this well known Japanese brand do”.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Lol. Even in college I never drank crap that came in plastic. Why the hell would I want to put stuff better than commercial in bottom shelf nasty plastic bottles.

Jack daniels is the worse I'll drink, and even they have sense enough to use glass.

We're better than them. We're better than other forums. That is what makes HD the best there is. Not asking for permission, this is who we are. Like it or leave.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Bushman wrote:I almost flagged this when I first read it as the title was ”use bottles like this well known Japanese brand do” but then realized it was in the ”What Not To Use/Do thread. [/i]
I went through the same exact progression :lol:
paddy1000111
Novice

Post by paddy1000111 »

Don't get me wrong, I store mine in glass and avoid plastic. Apart from PTFE I only use copper or stainless in my still. I get that if someone mentions plastic it becomes a free for all. I just don't like this attitude of "he mentioned plastic, lock the thread and send him a warning". You search for PTFE or anything to do with allowed plastics and there's just people who are afraid to even talk about it and people who are confused of what they are allowed to say. Just the other day someone was on about taking the PTFE tri-clamp seals out of their boiler and trying to seal in the heating element and drain port with flour paste after the scare mongering of mentioning plastic. It just doesn't lead to a nice environment? :eh:
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

If I remember correctly PTFE is approved as an acceptable gasket here on HD. Don't know why someone would try to talk him out of using it as a seal.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

The most basic plain simple fact is there is nothing to gain by using plastic bottles, they don't add better flavor, they don't help it age, they don't do anything good for the spirits and can actually harm them so why bother when there are plenty of better alternatives available.

Now as far as my first post, before the admin edit, the title had question marks rather than exclamations so it appeared that someone was attempting to start the same old plastics argument all over again just in a new place and we have been through that many times over and really don't need it.
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

When in doubt, throw it out!

If you need to question if it’s okay or not, it’s probably best not to use it.

No need to be a dick on one side of the argument or the other.

We made the choice to join HD, so live by the rules.

Cheers
"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it."
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

The op is a troll thats been banned here several times.odd that this thread wasnt deleted when posted.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Tater wrote:The op is a troll thats been banned here several times.odd that this thread wasnt deleted when posted.
Are you saying that these bottles are ok to use? I wouldn't drink the likker in them, or store mine in the empties, regardless of the brand name.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

NZChris wrote:
Tater wrote:The op is a troll thats been banned here several times.odd that this thread wasnt deleted when posted.
Are you saying that these bottles are ok to use? I wouldn't drink the likker in them, or store mine in the empties, regardless of the brand name.
no, i think the boss is saying i should have recommended banning the OP as troll on the first infraction, but i just warned him. That is the kinder gentler me. I'll be more proactive in the future.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Inglishill is a sneaky bastard. thanks tater I was just getting ready to add my admonition.

edit; Tater curiosity requires me to ask. do you have a count on how many different names

the above named op has been banned under?

I ask because I know I can remember less than half of them
be water my friend
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

paddy1000111 wrote:Don't start. I've already had a telling off for saying how gin manufacturers transport their neutrals and what the output pipes of large distillerys are made from :lol: this forum and some of its members are unfortunately very archaic, it's surprising that the site exists and it isn't a mail-in magazine. I have posted about independent scientific tests and their results, but it will still get you a warning :roll:

I kind of agree with you and the point you make about allowing kids to talk openly is spot on. I'm a fairly liberal parent so that comment struck a chord with me. However... we are all grown adults in here. We should have already learned these values and therefore should understand the importance of them and the ramifications of not respecting them. We should also understand the value of an agreement between each other - like the one regarding the topic of plastics within the distillation process.
There are three types of people in this world - those who can do maths and those who cannot.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

The OP he is referring to is not paddy. The OP ( Original Poster) is John Sparrow, aka Inglis Hill. In my own oversight in all this mess, I failed to see his name, and that this topic was from June originally.

Seeing that a troll started the thread, I could have realized there was no confusion - Johnsparrow posted this just to get a rise out of the community. We should have just deleted the thread, instead of moving it to "what not to do", which is what we probably did back in June before he outted himself as a troll a couple months later.

This thread serves to prove why we limit discussion of plastics without scientific data to discuss. It becomes a flame war between members, and we might even lose another one now, becuase of it.

Scientific data, in the proper forum, or no discussion of how plastic "isn't that bad". Period.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Proper forum would be this one . viewforum.php?f=41
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
brewmaster2014
Bootlegger

Re: Don’t use bottles like this well known Japanese brand do!!!

Post by brewmaster2014 »

It's not only the Japanese whiskey.you know all this mini bottles of Jack Daniels ,Johnny Walker... came in mini plastic bottles as well.they are popular on planes and hotel room bars.
workpress
Novice

Post by workpress »

Plastic is a mystery substance, manufacturers lie especially for profit, with that said why put your hard work and quality product in a plastic storage vessel or a bottle. stainless steel is great, glass carboys are cheap and even re used wine bottles work well. We eat enough chemicals these days from sources we can not control, thus control what you can.

this is my two cents...keep safe

Workpress
Shadowride69
Swill Maker

Post by Shadowride69 »

Well hell I work at a plastic liquor bottle facility I guess im out :moresarcasm: does that make me the devil
I help collage girl's make bad decisions..... I make liquor bottles as a career.
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

Shadowride69 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:50 am Well hell I work at a plastic liquor bottle facility I guess im out :moresarcasm: does that make me the devil
Yes!

The first step is is always admitting you have a problem.
"What harms us is to persist in self deceit and ignorance"
Marcus Aurelius
I’m not an alcoholic! I’m a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings!
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Shadowride69 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:50 am Well hell I work at a plastic liquor bottle facility I guess im out :moresarcasm: does that make me the devil
No it makes you an insider.

So the big question is do they or do they not coat the inside of plastic liquor

bottles with another substance to prevent plastic contacting the liquor???
be water my friend