Got to hot and puked.

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Copper_clad
Novice

Got to hot and puked.

Post by Copper_clad »

I was running, got 2 good qrts then on the 3rd half full it puked the wash. I shut the rig down. Waiting on it to cool. Do I use that as backset for sour mash or run it again.
Last edited by acfixer69 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: remove advertisement
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Got to hot and puked.

Post by seamusm53 »

Just run it again after cleaning the system - water should be sufficient. Puking can occur from simply boiling the wash too vigorously (turn down the flame) or too rapidly when the liquid regionally superheats and explodes up the column. (start a bit more slowly) But the risk of superheating can also be reduced by throwing a copper sponge into the boiler (or anything with some edges) to give the liquid a surface to boil more evenly from. I use copper for the added advantage of reducing sulphur compounds distilling over into my product.
Last edited by seamusm53 on Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

If you want help from HD, it would be wise to tell us "what the hell you were running"..

And you now have learned, hopefully, when using to much heat while stripping can do.. welcome to world of learning..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
papstoker
Novice

Post by papstoker »

Maybe I am missing something here, but afaik adding a spoonfull of vegetable oil to the wash is the accepted way to stop puking. It works for me - esp on rum runs. Furthermore, 'superheating' or 'overboiling' is quite possibly not the problem (unless boiling in a high pressure vessel) . The amount of heat is not neccessarily the reason puking happens. If you overfill your mash, and there is lots of fine particulate matter in the wash, puking is more likely, and oil on the top will disturb the formation of bubbles. It is good practice to set the heat low once boiling starts in any case (just maintain the boil) to save energy. It is a common misconception that lots of heat equals faster boiling; a fluid boils at its boiling temperature. Too little heat and it wont reach this temp, too much heat does not lift the temp.
Never trust a man who don't drink
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

It depends what type of still you are running and if it was a stripping run or a spirit run, but you didn't say.

I prefer using butter over veggie oil for every product I make that needs an anti-foam. If you do use a veggie oil, match it to the flavor of your wash.
sambedded
Trainee

Post by sambedded »

papstoker wrote:. It is a common misconception that lots of heat equals faster boiling; a fluid boils at its boiling temperature. Too little heat and it wont reach this temp, too much heat does not lift the temp.
It's not true. Yes more heat din't rise a boiling temperature but it increase an evaporation rate. And you finish your run faster. However higher heat increase a chance of puking.