Sourcing safe tubing?

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Benredbeard
Novice

Sourcing safe tubing?

Post by Benredbeard »

The search function returns a lot of what to NOT use. Mixed responses on whether Norprene and Tygon are safe (mixed = no to my mind), so is PTFE tubing the only safe tubing for product? Is it flexible and where do folks source it?
Happy bees, home brews, and two green thumbs.
ydoih8u
Bootlegger

Re: Sourcing safe tubing?

Post by ydoih8u »

I noticed Glacier Tanks sells some 'distillery hose' that's made of UHMWPE / EPDM.
https://www.glaciertanks.com/distillery ... 1.0-5.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I think the inside of the hoses are made with UHMWPE while the outside is EPDM for durability.

I've been thinking about picking up some UHMWPE tubing to experiment with a bit. Placed like Mcmaster-Carr have it for decent prices...
Benredbeard
Novice

Post by Benredbeard »

I should clarify: looking for more like home distilling sizes :shock:
Happy bees, home brews, and two green thumbs.
ydoih8u
Bootlegger

Post by ydoih8u »

Benredbeard wrote:I should clarify: looking for more like home distilling sizes :shock:
Haha, yeah that's why I brought up McMaster-Carr... Obviously not getting that tubing from Glacier lol.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Sometimes there isn't much choice.

I get it on Ebay. It is flexible.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

The PTFE hose I have is not flexible.
If you bend it you get a kink.
Not sure what this other hose you are talking about is, I'd better do some searching.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

so far the only material being discussed on this thread that complies with rule #8 ( reread it) is ptfe.

soft copper tubing also works and complies with rule #8 and is some what flexible.
be water my friend
ydoih8u
Bootlegger

Post by ydoih8u »

I mean if you want to get technical PTFE is a thermoplastic polymer. I get the rule and why it exists. I was merely pointing out that commercial distilleries may be using UHMWPE for their tubing. I'm not advocating for any one material. Just discussing materials that seem to be used.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

ydoih8u wrote:I mean if you want to get technical PTFE is a thermoplastic polymer. I get the rule and why it exists. I was merely pointing out that commercial distilleries may be using UHMWPE for their tubing. I'm not advocating for any one material. Just discussing materials that seem to be used.
As cob pointed out this is not a product as yet deemed safe as far as our forum rules go so is not a produce that can be recommended. I don't no a whole lot about about this product but did read up on a whole bunch of data and resistance charts. Perhaps it is something that can be discussed in a stand alone specific thread on this product backed with sound evidence on its safety and resistance at higher temperatures but to discuss or recommend it here at this point in time is in fact a breach of the forum rules as they currently stand :thumbup:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
ydoih8u
Bootlegger

Post by ydoih8u »

Sure. OP, hopefully others can help ya out on where to source some good copper tubing.