Is this safe? Thanks in advance...

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

77railer
Novice

Is this safe? Thanks in advance...

Post by 77railer »

I recently picked up a white 55g drum that previously had chlorinated foam cleaner in it used to clean stainless steel machinery. My plan was to use some oxiclean and then vinegar to swish around in it and clean it out. Figured I should ask if it was ok from the start rather than wasting my time to just find out down the road I made a mistake. Secondly, this drum has to small lids and is all one piece. I was wondering whether or not I should cut the top of on the sides or leave it all one piece...cant see how I would ever be able to easily get mash out and clean if I did cut the top off...but then was wondering about an air lock...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

77Railer
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Is this safe? Thanks in advance...

Post by still_stirrin »

The biggest problem with a chlorine container is that the high density polyurethane (HDPE) may hold some of the chemical in the fibers (long chain molecules) of the material. But if rinsed and dried properly, it shouldn’t adversely affect fermentation. So, it should be good to go.

All plastics have the problem of porous materials which can hold chemicals or bacteria or other “stuff” in the fibers. But they’re still usable if cleaned as good as possible and the ferment is adequately innoculated with yeast to ferment.

As for the lid, if you want to ferment on the grain, then a container that has a removable lid is good to have. If you won’t ferment on the grain, then a closed lid is OK. The ability to open the top is good for cleaning it out properly...but it is not necessary. I ferment in glass carboys and those just have a stopper-size opening.

Some distillers here use open fermenters such that airlocks aren’t even necessary. It depends on your environment and the processes you use, and to some degree how dilligent you are with cleanliness.

At the very least, the plastic barrel could be useful as a water reservoir for cooling your condensers.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Longhairedcountryboy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Longhairedcountryboy »

I use 55 gallon barrels with the tops cut. I cut carefully inside the top and not from the side. Going from the top leaves a ledge inside the rim. I cut XPS "lids" that fit inside the rim and rest on the ledge. I tried to put airlocks on them, but I couldn't get it air tight. I put a hole in the lid for a blowoff tube. I use that hole for my thermometers now.

An airlock is not necessary. There is enough pressure from co2 being produced to keep stuff out. when the ferment is finished, there is a layer of co2 on top of the liquid that keeps it from oxidizing.
Cut Head.jpg
Lid.jpg
Therm Port.jpg
77railer
Novice

Post by 77railer »

still_stirrin wrote:All plastics have the problem of porous materials which can hold chemicals or bacteria or other “stuff” in the fibers. But they’re still usable if cleaned as good as possible and the ferment is adequately innoculated with yeast to ferment.
Thank you for the information. I will clean and rinse multiple times :)
77railer
Novice

Post by 77railer »

Longhairedcountryboy wrote:I use 55 gallon barrels with the tops cut. I cut carefully inside the top and not from the side.
That is a really clean look and a great idea. Im assuming you are using a sawzall to cut the barrels? If so what type of blade are you using?
Longhairedcountryboy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Longhairedcountryboy »

I used a jigsaw.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

77railer wrote:
Longhairedcountryboy wrote:I use 55 gallon barrels with the tops cut. I cut carefully inside the top and not from the side.
That is a really clean look and a great idea. Im assuming you are using a sawzall to cut the barrels? If so what type of blade are you using?
A router with a center/radius guide will work too. A router bit will cut HDPE like butter.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If the barrel has a lip at the top, you can cut the top off where the diameter of the cut matches the lip, then flip the top upside down to make a very nice lid.
Chucker
Swill Maker

Post by Chucker »

If using a sawzall just a standard wood blade will do. I was fortunate enough to obtain one of the blue ones with the removable top. No need to bother with an airlock especially for a vessel that size. Just make sure the gas can vent adequately and has a light cover over it to keep dust and dirt out.
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

This is a great thread on converting your barrel

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72282

Hope it helps
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975