Keg for storing spirits

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BamaBill
Novice

Keg for storing spirits

Post by BamaBill »

Not sure what category to put this under. Has anyone used a SS beer keg to store liquor? I've considered using a keg to store all my 100pr and just adding a ball valve like a tap to fill my bottles as I want to drink it.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Keg for storing spirits

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I’d honestly store it at it’s native proof after cuts and proof down for drinking. Just to take less space for one thing but also for flexibility to use in other recipes if a higher proof is called for - ie; maybe a maceration or something.

SS is good for storage and make sure there are no plastics in there or silicone gaskets.Teflon gaskets are ok. I’ e heard of teflon tape wrapped cardboard gaskets which are pretty easy to make to whatever size is needed.

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Be careful with the “race track” seal. It’s rubber and high proof spirits (and vapors) will leach some of the rubber into the spirit. I think some here have wrapped the race track seal with PTFE tape successfully. Otherwise, I know that a few hobbiests here have used the corney kegs.

I would think a keg would work for aging and storage well enough. But, I always bottle out to 750ml bottles for serving. I don’t think I’d want to serve out of a (beer) keg. And I certainly wouldn’t want to drive the liquor out with CO2, although some have purposely carbonated premixed spirits, such as apple pie or hard apple cider. It can be done.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
BamaBill
Novice

Post by BamaBill »

Thanks for all the input guys. After I posted, I picked up three large glass carbouys from my mother in law. I have been buying all the reasonably priced kegs I see for future projects (30 gallon pot in my future). I'll keep them for that.
Thanks again.