Wash is fizzy

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

NSWiner
Novice

Wash is fizzy

Post by NSWiner »

Hey, about to run a wash thru my still and when pouring it into the boiler it actually fizzles up like it's carbonated aND then the bbubbles dis Sapp ate quickly. Never noticed it like this before.
Think it's safe to run off?

Thanks
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Wash is fizzy

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Thats perfectly normal
NSWiner
Novice

Post by NSWiner »

Its going now nicely lol. I never had that amount before. Lol

Thanks tho.

Have a great day
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

A wash can hold a fair amount of CO2 in suspension. The cooler it is, the more it tends to do so. No worries, unless you see bubbles actively popping on the surface before you disturb it. That would usually indicate it's still fermenting.
NSWiner
Novice

Post by NSWiner »

Yeah no it had finished fermenting..I always check with the hydrometer too. It was an old yeast packet I found from years ago
and I was worried it wouldn't ferment but it did. I'm back to the tomato paste wash tomorrow. Lol
dustytrash
Novice

Post by dustytrash »

Is it okay to distill wash that's "fizzy/bubbly" when disturbed?

Thought I'd ask sincerely since this is the "what not to do" forum & I'm a newbie with a fizzy mash
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

bilgriss wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:04 am A wash can hold a fair amount of CO2 in suspension. The cooler it is, the more it tends to do so. No worries,
+1 on the statement.. it just that it was not degas after it had finish fermenting.. and the degassing occurred at the time of the poring..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

dustytrash wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:53 am Is it okay to distill wash that's "fizzy/bubbly" when disturbed?
Same answer as previous stated, provided that the fermentation is done, then is just CO2 being released.. the releasing of the CO2 after fermentation is finish, or as known as degassing, is a good process to do as it will assist in clearing of the wash/mash.. for quicker clearing, rack the finish wash/mash into a new container, then degas by giving it a good stir for a few minutes, and let it settle for a day or so..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
dustytrash
Novice

Post by dustytrash »

Thanks for the info. If I'm going to be honest, I tried distilling the fizzy mash and it ended up popping the lid and causing a mess. I'll have to degas and try again.

I've always degassed wine, never thought to degas my mash.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

If it " popped the lid" you are doing something else very very wrong.
Stop before you hurt yourself or someone else.....or worse.
What sort of still are you using? Why is it not open to atmosphere? Why did the lid pop? Was it a grain mash ?
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:33 pm If it " popped the lid" you are doing something else very very wrong.
What sort of still are you using? Why is it not open to atmosphere? Why did the lid pop? Was it a grain mash ?
+1 my friend. The lid would only pop off if your system is sealed. And that's bad. I feel you may have been lucky it was only the lid that popped off!
There are three types of people in this world - those who can do maths and those who cannot.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

dustytrash wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:50 am If I'm going to be honest, I tried distilling the fizzy mash and it ended up popping the lid and causing a mess. I
Are you making reference to what happen as to what you stated there in the thread..

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=9125&p=7583987#p7583987

Mars

– Albert Einstein
dustytrash
Novice

Post by dustytrash »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:33 pm If it " popped the lid" you are doing something else very very wrong.
It is an all grain mash.

The lid didn't explode off or anything, it just seems to suddenly overflow once it heatup up enough. At the same time, the mash went out the nozzle at a high rate (instead of dripping slowly).

It's a store bought distiller: (Sorry for the image link, I can't seem to attach an image): https://i.stack.imgur.com/UDw2s.jpg
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

That is what we would typically call a "puke".
Boiler is filled to full. Boiler is heated to fast. Boiler has to much proteins, ect...
Many reasons.

I think you'll find that most people will say that still is far to small to be useful in making quality spirits. :)
Physics are working against you due to size.
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
dustytrash
Novice

Post by dustytrash »

Ahhh I've heard the term "puke" on the fourms, I thought it meant bad taste or bad smell lol!

Thanks, I'll try using a smaller dosage right now.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

dustytrash wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:37 pm Ahhh I've heard the term "puke" on the fourms, I thought it meant bad taste or bad smell lol!

Thanks, I'll try using a smaller dosage right now.
When you experience a “puke”, you will forever remember it!

‘nuf said.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

still_stirrin wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:44 pm When you experience a “puke”, you will forever remember it!
+1. You'll never question what a puke is again. :)
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
dustytrash
Novice

Post by dustytrash »

Still puking at half full... I must be doing something wrong.

I've only distilled using this distiller once & that was with wine for brandy. Didn't have any troubles
dustytrash
Novice

Post by dustytrash »

StillerBoy wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:53 pm
dustytrash wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:50 am If I'm going to be honest, I tried distilling the fizzy mash and it ended up popping the lid and causing a mess. I
Are you making reference to what happen as to what you stated there in the thread..

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=9125&p=7583987#p7583987

Mars
Yes I was. Although I did not buy the conditioner yet.
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

I love when a finished fermentation is still fizzy on its way into the boiler. There's something fresh and exciting about that quick turnover.
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Fruits brandy and grain mash behave very differently in the distillation process..

Grain mash, depending on which grains were used and how they were cleared, will puke on you.. as for fruit brandy, because they will clear easier, will tent to not puke as much, but will puke if to much power or heated up to fast..

The use of any anti foaming agent will help.. but in agreement with some of the other statement made that its a puking issue you have.. and the still size you have is not well suited for that type of distillation as there is not enough head room..

The type of yeast used will not have a bearing on puking, but weather it was allow to finish fermenting properly, and was rack and degassed, and allow to clear, will have an effect on puking..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

From the photo that you posted it looks to be what we call an Air Still. They are not great for what we do, though you can make spirits with them if you put in the time and effort to learn how they work.
You would probably do better to go to this link https://stillsmarter.co.uk/ and join up as the people there know more about Air Stills and the correct ways of using them than those who post on this forum. Its a good forum for both T500 users and Air Still owners.
dustytrash
Novice

Post by dustytrash »

Yes it is an Airstill. Thanks, I've joined that form as it looks promising.
Edit: Looks like the fourms are down for maintenance. Do you have the email of an admin? I feel like they have a good community there with bad technology

I'm thinking I didn't let it clear enough, it's still has a lot of color.
Next time I'll leave it outside for a day (in the cold) and/or use a clearent
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

No idea about the rest of it ...Sorry..it worked the last time that I visited which was some time ago.
JK79sGin
Novice

Post by JK79sGin »

Stillsmarter.co.uk should be working ok, although it is a resurrection from the old site stillsmart which is down now. Have you gone there perhaps?
If you cant get on, send me a wee PM and I will forward it to the admins :)

Ps, I love my little airstill. Great for gin!
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

https://stillsmarter.co.uk/
Great that works :thumbup: