Buying Supplies

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Durhommer
Distiller

Re: Buying Supplies

Post by Durhommer »

acfixer69 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:01 pm Don't worry about a paper trail or any questions from clerks. There just being sociable and couldn't give a shit what you do with it. I tell anyone who asks Moonshine and the wife rolls her eyes :roll:
I know the eye roll all to well from the misses
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Eire Whiskey

Post by Eire Whiskey »

Something must be wrong with me. I am just starting and I don't feel any paranoia. A couple friends who have asked me what I'm up to I just tell I'm building a still for essential oils. As for the other stuff I am always buying in bulk where I shop, but most stuff comes from different stores anyway since I shop around. The feed store people know me since I am in once a month buying dog food and corn for the chickens. I am in the deep South, so I don't think most people give a rats arse. I am by myself and the yard is fenced and with ten German Shepherds roaming around no one usually gets close to the fence. I will say this I started this project nearly ten years ago, got divorced and now and starting to enjoy my projects again. I love building things so this is great. I can solder all day long. I've not even run the first pot yet, and I am building another in my mind with the help of members here steering me in certain directions. I am also thankful for the tolerance of the people here, everyone has been friendly. Anyway, I digress.
SwollenGoat23
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SwollenGoat23 »

Somebody got a new 100qt Brew pot today!
$80 w/free shipping! [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202003 ... af56e7.jpg[/IMG]
Chucker
Swill Maker

Post by Chucker »

I got asked by the checker the other day at a local farm and yard type place if I was gonna make a mash out of that cracked corn I had in the cart. I just told her, maybe, but the only way she’d know about that was if she had some firsthand experience. She smiled and said her dad used to make likker. Then she thanked me for not getting all riled up over the question.
Any other questions and I just tell them I’m trying my hand at making beer. Any other home brewers who can see through that I don’t worry about cuz a lot of them would take the next step if they had the parts. And I’ve helped some get started as a result.
Brew bama
Novice

Buying Supplies

Post by Brew bama »

I was in the local home brew store today getting some brewery wash. I noticed a LOT of flaked corn and rye for sale but not a lot of malted barley. I also noticed the DADY and turbo on the shelves among the various beer yeasts. Hmmmm.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Our hbs has three small (extremely overpriced) stills on sale and on display. Highly illegal here just to own. Meh. I go in and we talk about making flavored hand sanitizer for hours with others present. Open ‘secrets’.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
gwizard
Novice

Post by gwizard »

My local HBS has no issues with making booze. The lady admitted she makes bourbon and showed me the brand of oak she likes for aging. The young cashier guy makes rum and vodka. We chat openly with other customers present and no issues. I'm in Aus.

In feed store when I was buying corn, girl asked me what is this for. I answered honestly, making sour mash whisky. She will check if she can get larger quantities for cheaper, while maintaining profit margins. :D

Buying large quantities of sugar at Woolies - no issues, no looks, no one cares.

I don't think ATO really care about home producers. As long as you don't sell your stuff, and its all for self usage, its fair. Producing beer is also not exactly legal in Aus. Meaning, you should register and pay tax. But, judging by the amount of HBS shops around my area, I would guess that 1/3 of population makes beer. I bet no one is registered or pays tax.

We even have places where you bring your recipe and they will brew it for you, in SS commercial grade equipment. And you pay a fraction of the supermarket price.
Alcophile
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Alcophile »

Chatted to the home brew shop on the phone when I bought my still during covid19 lockdown. They had sold a still to a Welsh government department to make sanitiser, but were asked "can we use this to make booze afterwards?", Told "yes" they said "it won't go to waste then"!
Dewstiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dewstiller »

Thats funny :lol: