PLASTIC EZ Filter system

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

JamesH
Novice

PLASTIC EZ Filter system

Post by JamesH »

So I know Plastic is a bad word around here so has anyone got any feedback on the EZ Filter system. I’ve seen a few YouTube distillers using and mentioning it and I know PLASTIC shouldn’t be used for storing high proof alcohol but any reason one shouldn’t be using this plastic flirtation device?

And the next question is, I’ve a few jars on fruit and other stuff which needs filtering any suggestions on a good piece of kit that will filter out jam over vodka? I’ve been using jam bags to take out the worse of it and a Stainless steel funnel and coffee filters to fine tune it but the funnel isn’t very big so could do with something more substantial.

Any ideas?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: PLASTIC EZ Filter system

Post by still_stirrin »

JamesH wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:43 am So I know Plastic is a bad word around here so has anyone got any feedback on the EZ Filter system. I’ve seen a few YouTube distillers using and mentioning it and I know PLASTIC shouldn’t be used for storing high proof alcohol but any reason one shouldn’t be using this plastic flirtation device?
You know better...so, don’t “fool” yourself. Don’t do it!
JamesH wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:43 am
And the next question is, I’ve a few jars on fruit and other stuff which needs filtering any suggestions on a good piece of kit that will filter out jam over vodka? I’ve been using jam bags to take out the worse of it and a Stainless steel funnel and coffee filters to fine tune it but the funnel isn’t very big so could do with something more substantial.

Any ideas?
I’ve been told, “the liver is a good filter for ethanol”. So, if you’ve separated the pulp to the extent of coffee filters, you’re probably left with your own digestive system now. Or, you could try to redistill it...that would separate the sediment (and color) from the distillate.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

I haven't found the need for it yet, but this always seemed interesting .

viewtopic.php?f=83&t=25090
JamesH
Novice

Post by JamesH »

still_stirrin wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:59 am

Why though? What is the reason? Yes plastic shouldn’t be used for storage but to use just for filtration? What are the actual reasons?
Thanks
JamesH
Novice

Post by JamesH »

Corsaire wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:00 am I haven't found the need for it yet, but this always seemed interesting .

viewtopic.php?f=83&t=25090
This was the bad boy I saw. Looks good.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

JamesH wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:17 pm
still_stirrin wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:59 am
Why though? What is the reason? Yes plastic shouldn’t be used for storage but to use just for filtration? What are the actual reasons?
Thanks
never used *that* plastic, but in a time of necessity i used a lemonade pitcher to transfer some low wines quick fast and it went cloudy and brittle almost instantly (within minutes) another time i used a bit of 3/8 hose (the kind that lots of people use on the quick couplers for cooling irrigation on their stills) to siphon some low wines...a little stayed in the hose and it turned that to shit too by the next day... but whatever, i'm not drinking your hootch.
i'm now glass, copper, stainless or teflon the whole way. (man you know it when you buy teflon hose.)
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

JamesH wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:17 pm
still_stirrin wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:59 amYou know better...so, don’t “fool” yourself. Don’t do it!
Thanks
It’s one of the rules. Period. Continue to spread it around and you may get a “timeout”... it’s happened to members before for disregard for the rules that you’ve agreed to when joining the forum.

From here: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5090#p6726670
8. These forums take a very strong negative view on the use of plastics and synthetics in distilling. It simply is not safe to use these during any part of the distillation process. HPDE buckets are acceptable for fermentation. There simply are too many types of plastics and a lack of reliable information for us to reliably advocate their use anywhere in the distillation apparatus. Also, from past posting history, this topic seems to quickly boil down into an almost religious flame war. Thus we simply will not put up with it, and posts about any form of plastic use will be edited, deleted or locked. There is a forum for proven info for or against any material (material/safety.)
Here’s another link worth your time to read too: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=26129#p6946908

I’m not a moderator, so I have no power. But, they are circling and can take action if warranted. I’ve relayed the information to you, now what you do with it is up to you.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
JamesH
Novice

Post by JamesH »

Cool your jets “still_stirrin 😎. Some helpful comments might Good. I started asking about the filtration system, I get some plastics are bad so perhaps rather than use that system suggest another method I could investigate rather than threats. That’s what this forum is about, discussion! I’ll Gladly look at other methods but as I’m relatively new to distilling it’s hard to know what’s about and when I google all I get is plastic products. Stainless steel products are far better but hard to find.
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

I see you linked to a carbon filter, that's something entirely different than a filter to process fruits and infusions.

I've never used a carbon filter either, since I make flavoured spirits.
General advice here is make better ferments, better stilling practices and better cuts so you don't need carbon filtering at all.

Regarding plastics, it's against the rules to promote or discuss them here. House rules. Do what you want at home, don't bring it here.
Years back there was a chemist on this forum who processed commercial spirit samples in a gcms setup. He found plastic weakeners in every single sample, because the sample bottles were plastic. Do you want that in your product?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Pretty much what Corsaire has said ..use the right recipes , the right still for the job , make the right cuts and you don't need carbon filtering.
This is not the local homebrew shop or youtube ..its a place where the members take distilling seriously.
Having said that I have no doubt that carbon filtering can make even the best Neutral even better.
The link to the stainless filter is ok ..but with some thought and some snooping around the different forums you might easily build better yourself.
JamesH
Novice

Post by JamesH »

That link was to show the ss filter over just the coffee filter. I’ve got 3 L of vodka over strawberry jam and wanted something to filter out the jam. Not interested in the carbon side. Also 3L of vodka over marmalade.
Vodka over jams
Vodka over jams
Vodka over jams
Vodka over jams
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Just use coffee filters, let it sit for a week or so, then rack it.. there is no other way around it, it's just the nature of the animal you are dealing with..

That's what I do went I macerate stuff..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Windswept
Swill Maker

Post by Windswept »

Or get/make a buchner funnel and a venturi.
If I didn't learn the hard way, I wouldn't learn at all!
JamesH
Novice

Post by JamesH »

Windswept wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:22 am Or get/make a buchner funnel and a venturi.
Looking to buy something in ss if possible, already made up for the job.
Windswept
Swill Maker

Post by Windswept »

JamesH wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:29 am
Windswept wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:22 am Or get/make a buchner funnel and a venturi.
Looking to buy something in ss if possible, already made up for the job.
I had a look for SS stuff and couldn't find much. I just bought this and combined with a plastic venturi, you run water through it and it makes a vacuum, MAGIC! I'm planning on using it with coffee filters.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3282123 ... 4c4dYRHQCl

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3281745 ... 4c4dYRHQCl
If I didn't learn the hard way, I wouldn't learn at all!
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

You could check lab supply places. There's a dutch firm that sells refurbished and used equipment.
https://s-a-le.nl/nl/product/afzuigerlenmeyers/

Perhaps there's something similar near you.

Or you can befriend a welder ;-)
Chucker
Swill Maker

Post by Chucker »

I use some fiberglass milk house filters from a farm supply place. They’re about a 6” round. Just fold em into 4ths and stick the cone into a ss funnel and they’ll take out the big stuff (large ash bits, small wood bits, dust or other debris that happens to float by) and always a good thing when bottling for the odd fruit fly that thinks he’s gonna take a little nip while I’m transferring.
They aren’t very fine so they don’t impede flow or get stopped up easily. They will easily permit small ash dust to pass. It doesn’t hurt anything but when it settles it looks bad.
If you want something finer it works well to put a coffee filter liner in the milk filter. This keeps the filter from sticking to the funnel and provides a flow path through the entire coffee filter surface as a permeable support layer.
You could also just rely on decanting with the help of a floc agent like bentonite. Mix up a little as a premade slurry and add a couple spoonfuls to the jug you want to settle and stir it up well. In a few days it will have settled completely to the bottom and be much more resistant to be kicked up again if you pour it off carefully through a basic filter. It will clarify nicely without affecting the flavor or color of the spirit. You can even reuse the sludge into another jug and even several times over. At the very end when you don’t want to save it any longer just rinse out the sludge into another distillation run. Bentonite has the added benefit of removing many haze causing agents the come over when aging on wood that are otherwise impossible to filter. They may be harmless and tasteless, but darn it!, it just seems to take something away when there is a bit of turbidity in an otherwise great looking spirit!