Liars selling barrels

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

GreenEnvy22
Swill Maker

Liars selling barrels

Post by GreenEnvy22 »

Came across an ad on Facebook marketplace for some used blue food grade barrels. 30 Gallons, snap on lids. The ad said they were filled with wine before. Thought these would make nice fermenters, I currently use brute's but the dimensions of these were perfect for being able to fit 3 of them into my fermentation chamber.

I emailed the seller, and they confirmed these had wine in them before. I was a bit suspicious as wine isn't often stored in these, but figured I'd go check. I get to the address and it's a shipping container in a field with a few people cleaning dozens of these barrels. He points me at two and I open them up. They look nice and clean, but I stuck my head in and sniffed, and they both smelled very strongly of paint thinner or similar.
He points me at a couple more, these have some red thick residue in them, maybe hydraulic fluid.

I worry about others buying these, specifically listed as being useful for food or water, and not realizing.

So that was a waste of an hour, lesson learned.
---
I have a 50L pot still with dual Liebig condenser.
I typically make Whisky, grappa, and brandy.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: Liars selling barrels

Post by StillerBoy »

GreenEnvy22 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:22 am So that was a waste of an hour, lesson learned.
Life is not free.. as there is always a cost associated with it in all aspect..

Enjoy the journey of life..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

People in our hobby really have to be careful as we are an easy target since the hobby in most places is illegal there are people that will sell you something knowing you can’t report them. Buyer beware!
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I passed on a free 55 gallon hpde drum this weekend because there were no labels on it and the giver couldn't vouch for it's previous contents. Only that they were going to use it for rain water and never got around to it.

I'll continue to patiently wait for a clean drum with a removable lid for a good price.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

Bushman wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:58 am People in our hobby really have to be careful as we are an easy target since the hobby in most places is illegal there are people that will sell you something knowing you can’t report them. Buyer beware!
Been in this hobby better than 50 years and had my ethics compromised. There are questionable people everywhere so make sure you know who you give a taste
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

dieselduo wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:52 pm Been in this hobby better than 50 years and had my ethics compromised. There are questionable people everywhere so make sure you know who you give a taste
When I started this hobby, I wanted to let my neighbor know what I was doing as we used to have a few beers together. I’m glad now that I never did. We had a silly dispute and he got into my face about it. Haven't spoken since. I only share hooch with a few close friends and family. I admonish them to zip it as well.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Toxxyc
Swill Maker

Post by Toxxyc »

Contact farm feeding manufacturers. The ones around my place get all kinds of feed-grade stuff in HDPE 2 barrels and they always have barrels around.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

also drink manufacturers are good to check, I recently got a free 55 gal white drum that stored kosher glycerin. They use it for a sweetener or something.
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

My local brew shop sells off the lme drums after they empty them. I know they are food grade and only one use. Also the local sportsmans warehouse sells the same drums new, but for a bit more money.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

If there is a cola distribution point near you (coke or pepsi), you can sometimes get really good deals on food grade barrels.
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
Critchy Otch
Novice

Post by Critchy Otch »

I hit bulky gold after several years of suspicious listings.
Local to me someone was selling off (ebay) a 210 translucent HDPE barrel complete with lid, still bagged tap, bubbler & bungs for a single £1.
The seller had used it for storing tap water to go into his aquarium (enough time for chlorine etc to dissipate adequately)

Whilst this may be 8x the fill capacity of my T500 it does make for decent up-scaling for eventual use & correcting mistakes on my part.
It also meant I found a good likely local source of virgin barrels from the factory.

(& I can drag it outside to pressure wash the cars when not in use giving less suspicion to any neighbours who may think they know what i'm up to, it helps to have a cornelius keg cleaner periodically in action & visible to all to give the impression "it's only beer" )

Hang in there, take your time to get (k)it right in both mind & practise.
For my sins, I own a full T500 set up ..Bah