Any idea why this is coming out blue?

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Big L
Novice

Any idea why this is coming out blue?

Post by Big L »

IMG_20211024_144810__01.jpg
First 10L or so came out of my 50L stripping run v blue see pic. Tossed that and now it's mostly clear but still a little blue

I'm using a blue 220L blue bucket. Gave it a really proper clean before with percarbonate. It's been sitting for a while but it's foodgrade so shouldn't have leached into the liquid?

I didn't rinse the column out before the stripping run so maybe that? Doesn't explain why it's still got a blueiish tint.

Maybe the copper?
JesseMarques
Bootlegger

Re: Any idea why this is coming out blue?

Post by JesseMarques »

Probably the copper.
And you should not use plastic with your distilate, if you do so, don't give your booze to anyone, nor should you drink it but definitely don't post it in here. It is not a safe material and doing so you are violating forum rules

If is the first time you use this still, you should first made a vinegar run, than a sacrifficial one. If you did not make it, save this distilate to do so, because it has already been sacrificed (as you put in plastic)

edit:
Plastic is ok just for your ferment/wash
stevexxx
Novice

Post by stevexxx »

Copper sulphate most likely from dirty copper in your still, bin it as it is toxic (wont kill you but).. Empty and clean your still and packing with citric acid...
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

I've yet to encounter blue distillate, but here is a healthy discussion, from not too far back. It seems there can be multiple causes of blue distillate.

Blue Distillate HELP

and some others...
distillate comes out blue
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Bee
Swill Maker

Post by Bee »

My experience is very limited. But I had some that I put in a jar and the blue eventually condensed on the sides above the distillate. I've also redistilled it and that removed the blue. It seems like I get blue booze when the pH of my wash is too high (basic side).
Big L
Novice

Post by Big L »

Had a quick Google and it's very inconclusive as to whether plastic will leach into the first run - especially at low Concentrations and a short time space like 6 hours?
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Big L wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:22 am Had a quick Google and it's very inconclusive as to whether plastic will leach into the first run - especially at low Concentrations and a short time space like 6 hours?
The rules of the forum are quite clear on this though, no plastic contact with anything that comes out of the still.

For the record, the required testing for "food safe" plastics is leaching below a certain threshold at 15% abv (I don't recall the time frame). Your low wines will be between 20% and possibly 60% or more depending on the strength of the wash and how far you stripped. So you're always exceeded the tested capacity. In the end it's up to you, but even within the bounds of the testing, there's leaching occurring, just at levels that have been deemed safe.

Stainless and glass will both hold liquids without dribbling plasticisers and heavy metals into your proto-booze.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

6717B6C0-95EF-4A9B-BE6F-14D58075C6E1.jpeg
A4730192-5069-4D3B-B182-CC457EC1AEC3.jpeg
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

Copper Sulphate is blue is it not?
One too many wasted sunsets, one too many for the road.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Big L ....65 posts and you still don't know not to use plastic? , and also don't know the forum rules ?
Suggest you start doing some reading before you continue .
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Ditch the Blue plastic collection bucket and then see what shows up in a glass or Stainless collection vessel .
Big L
Novice

Post by Big L »

Apologies all the plastic rule must have slipped my mind
Thanks for the suggestions will toss this lot out and start again.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

If it's actually blue coming out of the PC it could be due to a high ferment pH reacting with nitrogen and copper in the still but yes the blue collection container is also suspect with high ABV ethanol solvent.

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————