Where to buy a stainless steel mason jar?

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MidgetFarms
Novice

Where to buy a stainless steel mason jar?

Post by MidgetFarms »

So i'm new to the hobby & i learn something every day.

Yesterday I learned that using my glass mason jar doubler/ thumper "could" be dangerous.

I admit i LIKE watching the bubbles & adjust the still as much for that as i so the outflow.

BUT i dont really want to die when a quart of very high proof ethanol smashes on the floor 6 inches from my open flame burner.

Not asking for a safety debate.

But can anyone tell me where to get 1 qt & 1 gallon stainless steel jars/bottles that use a wide mouth mason jar lid? I cant find em anywhere online & i dont want to build another doubler head.
Bushman
Admin

Re: Where to buy a stainless steel mason jar?

Post by Bushman »

I wouldn’t think trying to find a stainless steel jar that you can fit a mason jar lid on top for a thumper or doubler is the best approach. Look at size relationships between a still and a doubler or thumper and then figure out what you need.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

MidgetFarms wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:56 am
So you're asking for assistance while ignoring Forum rules?

If you do the required reading you'll find that the rubber seals on canning jars are not only unsuitable for storage of high-proof spirits, they and any plastics are prohibited for use in the vapor/distillate path. There are plenty of threads here addressing viable replacements for canning jar lids.

As Bushman advised, do the research on the minimal effectiveness of a jar-sized thumper and build accordingly. If you like to be entertained by bubbles, get a sight glass. Lava lamps work pretty good too, only slower.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Sorry I am taking this thread off topic but a doubler was not in our Glossary of Terms so thanks to this thread it reminded me to add it.
MidgetFarms
Novice

Post by MidgetFarms »

Twisted Brick wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:51 am
MidgetFarms wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:56 am
So you're asking for assistance while ignoring Forum rules?

If you do the required reading you'll find that the rubber seals on canning jars are not only unsuitable for storage of high-proof spirits, they and any plastics are prohibited for use in the vapor/distillate path. There are plenty of threads here addressing viable replacements for canning jar lids.

As Bushman advised, do the research on the minimal effectiveness of a jar-sized thumper and build accordingly. If you like to be entertained by bubbles, get a sight glass. Lava lamps work pretty good too, only slower.
There is always one.

Which forum rule did i ignore. Share a link as i've read the rules & i didn't read one that said we cant ask questions.

Secondly- as soon as i learned that my glass thumper was potentially dangerous i started looking for a stainless replacement- you know....to be safe.

Third - who said i have rubber anywhere in my still? I didn't. The top of my thumper is copper & i use a silicone seal.

So please if you want to break my balls about things i haven't said - dm me & we can work it out privately instead of on a public forum.

For the rest of us - i am TRYING to be safer & right now the glass is the dangerous part i was hoping to just replace.

Ive searched for gallon size & quart size - but the only ones i can find are 12 & 16oz.

Also - thanks for the call out on the size. I haven't gotten to that portion of the reading. As i stated in my introduction my old man & i are doing this as a hobby so we can spend more quality time together & i have just started learning.

But i also want to make a great product. So maybe i will work on a new design over the winter - but until then does anyone know where i can buy a stainless steel- or hell even a copper jug that will screw into my thump lid?
MidgetFarms
Novice

Post by MidgetFarms »

Ha!

& now i've learned silicone seals are frowned upon too.

Just ordered all new ptfe seals from blamazon.

I will learn
& learn
& learn

:wtf:
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Hi midget farms. I found several stainless mason jars on eBay and Amazon just by searching google for “stainless steel mason jar”. Both single walled and insulated. I did not see any larger than a Quart, but I did not search long.

Good luck. Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

MidgetFarms wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:54 pm Ha!

& now i've learned silicone seals are frowned upon too.

Just ordered all new ptfe seals from blamazon.

I will learn
& learn
& learn
Hey Farmer,

The learning curve is pretty steep. I started with no brewing or distilling experience at all. I’m pretty sure some of my questions and comments have made the old timers here fall off their chair on occasion. Read, read and read more. Some things are buried in threads but after a while you will start to get the hang of things.

I like that you are doing this with your Dad. My Dad has passed and we never had the opportunity to do this together. Great Father Son project.

Be patient and humble and the guys on this board will steer you straight.
"What harms us is to persist in self deceit and ignorance"
Marcus Aurelius
I’m not an alcoholic! I’m a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings!
MidgetFarms
Novice

Post by MidgetFarms »

Thanks for the encouragement!

I'm sure i can find something that will work.

So from what I've read the size of the thumper needs to be large in case i get a boil over or it floods/fills while running.

Had that happen on each run so far but i turn the heat down and it all gets vacuumed back into the boiler. Hasnt cost me more than 5 to 10 minutes so far.

I assume that's the main reason for it needing to be so large but i will keep reading to find out more. I really like the graph & explanations about how the boiling point changes as the mixture changes & it makes total sense.

Now im curious if i ran two small metal thumpers (with a sight glass or tube) if that will work the same as 1 large one.

Not breaking out the tools. Just stating my next reading topic.
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

you could make yourself a fine little stainless steel mason jar...
image.png
MidgetFarms
Novice

Post by MidgetFarms »

tiramisu wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:19 pm you could make yourself a fine little stainless steel mason jar...

image.png
Now that is cool!
3illmesmart
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 3illmesmart »

These popped up on the local classified, Tri-Clamp Stainless Steel Bottle. 2L
sstbtl.png
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Cute. Whatcha’ got planned for it? 2 liters is quite “petite”.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

3illmesmart wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:12 pm These popped up on the local classified, Tri-Clamp Stainless Steel Bottle. 2L

sstbtl.png
This has me thinking maybe skip the jar concept and make a mini thumper from stainless spool, cap adapter and end cap.

Robust and completely modular.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by tiramisu »

It's probably just me but if I wanted to make a thumper for my keg still a corny keg seems a lot more effieciently sized and you can them for storing low wines in.
MidgetFarms
Novice

Post by MidgetFarms »

tiramisu wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:36 pm It's probably just me but if I wanted to make a thumper for my keg still a corny keg seems a lot more effieciently sized and you can them for storing low wines in.
Agreed these are easy to find.

I really haven't seen a reason to use a large thumper. From what I've read it needs to be large so you dont over fill it & puke into the condenser.

But if you watch closely just turn down the heat for 2 or 3 minutes and all the condensate vacuums back into the still.

Unless there is some other reason for it to be large i haven't found it yet
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

tiramisu wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:36 pm It's probably just me but if I wanted to make a thumper for my keg still a corny keg seems a lot more effieciently sized and you can them for storing low wines in.
I have 5 antique five gallon stainless steel milk jugs that would probably work as thumpers, currently I am using two of them one for gin and the other for essential oils.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Unless there is some other reason for it to be large i haven't found it yet
You might want to fill it with mash for a strip run? Or shoot it with a good amount of fruit on a brandy spirit run once into hearts?

Cheers,
J
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Fletching
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fletching »

+1 J

I have a 15.5 gallon boiler and 15.5 gallon thumper. Extra room for a stripping run is great. Plus, I can use the wash I siphon from the top of my fermenter into the boiler and distill on the grain in my thumper without as much risk for scorching.

MidgetFarms, if I remember right from reading, you have a 5 gallon boiler right? Honestly, if you could get your hands on a 1/4 barrel or 1/2 barrel keg (this would be pushing the 30% thumper rule) to use as your boiler and the 5 gallon as your thumper, you might be better off in the long run.

However, if you like the 5 gallon boiler, you could always find a 2 or 3 gallon milk can or stock pot and make it into a thumper of adequate size. There are some good threads on here about doing such things.

I do enjoy the flexibility of having a larger thumper.
Here’s to lobster tail and whiskey. Three of my favorite things.

Easy Maceration Boiler https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 7#p7691427
MidgetFarms
Novice

Post by MidgetFarms »

Fletching wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:15 am +1 J

MidgetFarms, if I remember right from reading, you have a 5 gallon boiler right? Honestly, if you could get your hands on a 1/4 barrel or 1/2 barrel keg (this would be pushing the 30% thumper rule) to use as your boiler and the 5 gallon as your thumper, you might be better off in the long run.

I do enjoy the flexibility of having a larger thumper.
I like this idea.

I am not apposed to wasting ridiculous amounts of time or money to learn how things work- but i also love a bargain here & there.

I will keep an eye out for a 15g or 25g keg. I think the larger volume will allow me to ferment to a low ABV so the yeast dont stress.

Thanks for the convo.

Anyway i can get my post out of the "what not to do" board?

Still not sure why it was moved here
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

MidgetFarms wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:01 pm…Anyway i can get my post out of the "what not to do" board?

Still not sure why it was moved here…
Because of this:
MidgetFarms wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:56 am Yesterday I learned that using my glass mason jar doubler/ thumper "could" be dangerous.

Not asking for a safety debate. <— And this.
I don’t see why you’ve continued this thread once it was moved anyway. If you have legitimate questions (within the rules boundary), then ask them in the appropriate forum, so that others can learn as you do. This forum is isolated so that anybody can clearly understand the safety issues often encountered (and managed).
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K