old still site

The long and storied history of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Wild Turkey
Novice

old still site

Post by Wild Turkey »

this is a old still site i found on my property,the site is under construction
https://sites.google.com/site/oldstillsite2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
World Class Home Distillation Apparatus-valved reflux
Husker
retired

Re: old still site

Post by Husker »

Interesting. Is any of that copper, or is it all iron? Looks like someone (johnny-law) found it, and chopped it up pretty good.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Not much left, hope you end up with a few good finds with all your work. Was a pretty good size operation by looking at the pics.
Wild Turkey
Novice

Post by Wild Turkey »

no copper found so far..other that the finding the whole site the two intact jars were a treasure.have been poking around a few years with a detector but so many barrel rings and shrapnel that it goes off every time you move and the under brush and root growth make digging almost imposable,but going to keep working and clearing as time permits.i am assuming that maybe the charcoal at the site was for filtering rather than heating as i first thought?
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Wild Turkey wrote:no copper found so far..other that the finding the whole site the two intact jars were a treasure.have been poking around a few years with a detector but so many barrel rings and shrapnel that it goes off every time you move and the under brush and root growth make digging almost imposable,but going to keep working and clearing as time permits.i am assuming that maybe the charcoal at the site was for filtering rather than heating as i first thought?
Is it charcoal or coke asked because grandpa sometimes used coke when he didnt want any trace of smoke.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
HolyBear
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HolyBear »

What state? What is the water source? Where is the hearth/furnace?
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
Wild Turkey
Novice

Post by Wild Turkey »

wake county North Carolina...did you look at the site?...see the pics?
the gallery has sub categories
HolyBear
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HolyBear »

Ok, I see the sub categories now. Those square punch holes in the mash barels look like they are from a pick. Quite a bit of twisted metal also. Have you searched the local paper archive? That one definitely made news...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
ipee7ABV
Rumrunner

Post by ipee7ABV »

looks like the boiler exploded
Richard7
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Richard7 »

Cool looking place to metal detect to me. If your detector can discriminate you can tune out the iron and steel and look for different metals.
"yeah? yeah? the maple flavored kind?" A dog on you tube.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

you dont much no nothin bout that place ask folks bout the huricans. percy was always blamein em for drivein prices down.

so im tole
Wild Turkey
Novice

Post by Wild Turkey »

wacabi1 wrote:Ok, I see the sub categories now. Those square punch holes in the mash barels look like they are from a pick. Quite a bit of twisted metal also. Have you searched the local paper archive? That one definitely made news...
i did try talking to a few people at the ATF back twenty years ago,and to my surprise they told me there records only went back about thirty years.most were pick axed which i had never seen before but walking around the site a few times you see there was one guy with a axe,but he was not as in to the overkill as the pickaxe crew
ideas on the charcoal ?
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

why atf an not a old bible thumper from round there.
somethin bout this aint passin the smell test.

so im tole
HolyBear
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HolyBear »

goose eye wrote:why atf an not a old bible thumper from round there.

so im tole

Yep... find out were the ol men in town drink coffee in the mornings. Ask them. Talk to the ol laddies down at the courthouse, they might know. And, the oldest at the paper...
Wild Turkey
Novice

Post by Wild Turkey »

so im tole
not sure what iam sposed to be fidn out:/
i know it was a still -i would like to find a picture of it during the time,thats why the ATF they like to take pics of there trophies just like everybody else but theirs wound in the paper,not sure of the time frame guess that is if any what i am trying to find out ..have talked to locals one of which i am my father grandfather great and great great the great great was a US marshell
the one person who knew anything would not give any names (he was in late 60s at time since passed away) all he would say is that his grandfather almost got hung over that damn still because they thought he was the one that turned them in
Wild Turkey
Novice

Post by Wild Turkey »

wacabi1 wrote:

so im tole

Yep... find out were the ol men in town drink coffee in the mornings. Ask them. Talk to the ol laddies down at the courthouse, they might know. And, the oldest at the paper...
had to be 100 years ago anybody that knew anything about it is gone,if grandparents got there grandchildren to set still and listen in the past 30-50 years, most didnt care or remember what information was being passed to them
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

your kin strtch back that far you should no bout the huricans.
you do no they had a runin fued with percy flowers - you do no who percy was dont you-.
never get tunel vison huntin

so im tole
Wild Turkey
Novice

Post by Wild Turkey »

they knew Percy..not sure what you are talking about huricanes..i have herd of roads around here called the huricanes because of no names or numbers
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

percy controled johnson county he didnt control wake

so im tole
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Just a question to the OP - why are you asking all those personal questions like name and whereabouts in the section called "Any info on this still or others?" It's a bit off putting and you might get more info if you accepted "anonymous" "tips".
I do all my own stunts
Wild Turkey
Novice

Post by Wild Turkey »

blind drunk wrote:Just a question to the OP - why are you asking all those personal questions like name and whereabouts in the section called "Any info on this still or others?" It's a bit off putting and you might get more info if you accepted "anonymous" "tips".
i know i am trying to change it..it was a page template that i went with and i am having problems changing some of it ,but i will work on it tonite
NcMoonLight
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NcMoonLight »

In Wake County eh? Hmm just happens to be around my neck of the woods lol (I live just east of Raleigh) I looked at the pictures and I think its amazing and its just crazy how they had that big of a operation going. Just think of the amount of jobs and money it gave back to a poor and broken community back in those time periods.
15.5 Gal Keg ~ 2" Pot Still ~ Propane Heated & Now 5 Gal Thumper
<3 UJSSM
Take It Slow & Learn The Right Way To Do It & One Day, Even You Could Be A Master Distiller!
Wild Turkey
Novice

Post by Wild Turkey »

NcMoonLight wrote:In Wake County eh? Hmm just happens to be around my neck of the woods lol (I live just east of Raleigh) I looked at the pictures and I think its amazing and its just crazy how they had that big of a operation going. Just think of the amount of jobs and money it gave back to a poor and broken community back in those time periods.
15-20 east of raleigh here also,you are probably in my backyard or me in yours.
it is not in heavy cover now but i guess 100 years or there about makes a lot of difference.i know most of the surrounding trees were clearcut about 30 years ago,we recut about 15 years ago but i roped off the site.ther is also a trail marking tree within 50 yards pointing to the site no native American but i feel sure created by the still builder.
NcMoonLight
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NcMoonLight »

Haha well if your 15-20 mins east then yeah were in each others back yards. Also, thats crazy I mean just looking at the pictures of it makes you think back on all the history that went on there.
15.5 Gal Keg ~ 2" Pot Still ~ Propane Heated & Now 5 Gal Thumper
<3 UJSSM
Take It Slow & Learn The Right Way To Do It & One Day, Even You Could Be A Master Distiller!
still crazy
Rumrunner

Post by still crazy »

no still pot no copper looks like a buncha barrels to me
Hazardous waste perhaps
Daddy used, to say " Any landing you can walk away from is a good one"
Calculations don't mean shit when compared to the real world practical experience of many...RAD 9/2010
HolyBear
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HolyBear »

Wild Turkey wrote:
NcMoonLight wrote:In Wake County eh? Hmm just happens to be around my neck of the woods lol (I live just east of Raleigh) I looked at the pictures and I think its amazing and its just crazy how they had that big of a operation going. Just think of the amount of jobs and money it gave back to a poor and broken community back in those time periods.
it is not in heavy cover now but i guess 100 years or there about makes a lot of difference.i know most of the surrounding trees were clearcut about 30 years ago,we recut about 15 years ago but i roped off the site.ther is also a trail marking tree within 50 yards pointing to the site no native American but i feel sure created by the still builder.
Tell me about that tree. Is it bent over with the top pointing to the site? Where are the scars located???
Wild Turkey
Novice

Post by Wild Turkey »

wacabi1 wrote:
Wild Turkey wrote:
Tell me about that tree. Is it bent over with the top pointing to the site? Where are the scars located???
will take a pic..have it up tonight if i get home before dark
Wild Turkey
Novice

Post by Wild Turkey »

still crazy wrote:no still pot no copper looks like a buncha barrels to me
Hazardous waste perhaps
not trying to be a jerk but have herd the saying "if it were a snake it would have bite you" you got bit...everyone who has ever seen it knows it was a still.if you find a still site that still has any copper around or has not been blown or axed you would be lucky especially the copper it has always been expensive if the still builder for what ever reason (probably death or jail) left it it would have to be very well hidden for any copper to remain :shock:
Wild Turkey
Novice

Post by Wild Turkey »

trail1.jpg
Wild Turkey wrote:
wacabi1 wrote:
Wild Turkey wrote:
will take a pic..have it up tonight if i get home before dark
yes it is pointing directly at still site..had never noticed scars till you said something..wavy scars on top?
Wild Turkey
Novice

Post by Wild Turkey »

scars on marker
Attachments
trail4.jpg