Does purchasing parts or the whole boiler/still alert TTB?

Got letter from TTB? Post all letters here. Include where ya bought your equipment.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Re: Does purchasing parts or the whole boiler/still alert TT

Postby One Eyed Ross » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:19 pm

So, let me get this straight. Guys posting on a public forum are worried about the BATFE finding them based on their buying patterns? I' mean, c'mon. This forum is available for reading to non members. You really think if the BATFE wanted you, they couldn't get your IP address without going to the trouble of hassling a dealer? Ockam's razor isn't that dull...
One Eyed Ross
Novice

Postby Coug95man2 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:14 pm

One Eyed Ross wrote:So, let me get this straight. Guys posting on a public forum are worried about the BATFE finding them based on their buying patterns? I' mean, c'mon. This forum is available for reading to non members. You really think if the BATFE wanted you, they couldn't get your IP address without going to the trouble of hassling a dealer? Ockam's razor isn't that dull...

Who says I have a static IP? Just curious...
"Time flies when your having Rum"
Coug95man2
Novice

Postby rad14701 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:15 am

One Eyed Ross wrote:So, let me get this straight. Guys posting on a public forum are worried about the BATFE finding them based on their buying patterns? I' mean, c'mon. This forum is available for reading to non members. You really think if the BATFE wanted you, they couldn't get your IP address without going to the trouble of hassling a dealer? Ockam's razor isn't that dull...

We've had this discussion more than enough times already... Your concerns are nothing new here... Information like IP addresses require search warrants... If you haven't read all of the pertinent information here, now would be a good time to start... Coming here, just like other sites of questionable legality, is a risk vs reward proposition... Let's not be trying to whip folks into a frenzy...
rad14701
Master Distiller

Postby Essayons » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:39 pm

Lol I generally use Tor and re-route through a semi local IP.
Some people don't know what Tor is though..... So.... Lol
Essayons
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Coug95man2 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:45 pm

Essayons wrote:

Lol I generally use Tor and re-route through a semi local IP.
Some people don't know what Tor is though..... So.... Lol

So many ways to bypass. "Untraceable" is fiction but I can make it awful, awful hard. So many VPN technologies to route. This site is the least of any issues. Technology is easy. I'm still working at making sure a money order isn't traceable! Lol.
Coug95man2
Novice

Postby Hank Reardon » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:13 pm

Pottsie wrote:

Unless your name is Guccifer, I think the point is that it doesn't matter.
Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Coug95man2 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:06 pm

Hank Reardon wrote:
Pottsie wrote:

Unless your name is Guccifer, I think the point is that it doesn't matter.

Naw. I get your point as well as One Eyed. It seems you are missing mine. That's ok.
Coug95man2
Novice

Postby Hank Reardon » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:37 pm

I don't think anyone missed your point Pottsie. But, that isn't the point now is it.
Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby craftsman » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:40 pm

Potsie, in the end the TTB knows that many folks are into hobby distilling. The parts and boilers, stills and related items don't place you in a commercial size category. Most of us make a gallon or 2 at one time. Many folks make less than that.

Now if you want to draw attention to yourself, order a large 200-gallon or larger boiler, 4-6-inch distiller column or large quantities of parts and supplies you won't need to worry about a letter. You will get a personal contact and visit to see what your up to. Every one on this site could be investigated....but how much do you think that will cost, and what would be the end result? Most guys on this site making stuff are around over 50-years old, have another full time life and dabble in this hobby because they enjoy it. I equate it to beekeeping- a harmless ole hobby for old men.
Another point is, who wants to be lugging 50-lb grain and sugar bags and moving mash around. :shifty: That's a lot of work man! The idea of sitting and watching a still for 8-12 hours is a job versus a couple hours for this hobby :thumbup:

I' don't think you need to worry. I been doing this craft for 40-+years. always remember don't sell and don't sell and always practice safely. Hope that eases your mind. Good luck!
craftsman
Novice

Postby Coug95man2 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:24 pm

craftsman wrote:Potsie, in the end the TTB knows that many folks are into hobby distilling. The parts and boilers, stills and related items don't place you in a commercial size category. Most of us make a gallon or 2 at one time. Many folks make less than that.

Now if you want to draw attention to yourself, order a large 200-gallon or larger boiler, 4-6-inch distiller column or large quantities of parts and supplies you won't need to worry about a letter. You will get a personal contact and visit to see what your up to. Every one on this site could be investigated....but how much do you think that will cost, and what would be the end result? Most guys on this site making stuff are around over 50-years old, have another full time life and dabble in this hobby because they enjoy it. I equate it to beekeeping- a harmless ole hobby for old men.
Another point is, who wants to be lugging 50-lb grain and sugar bags and moving mash around. :shifty: That's a lot of work man! The idea of sitting and watching a still for 8-12 hours is a job versus a couple hours for this hobby :thumbup:

I' don't think you need to worry. I been doing this craft for 40-+years. always remember don't sell and don't sell and always practice safely. Hope that eases your mind. Good luck!

Yep. You are spot on, craftsman. Appreciate your input. But if I was misrepresenting my point, I'm sorry. I'm not concerned at all, really. This spring I was wondering if there were any updates but since then... Pshhh. I was only saying, I do have some technical savvy that would make me, and others (as they stated as well), harder to track. And the gov., if they ever get a bee flying up their arse, will go for the easy meat. I know I'm not the easy meat. :-)
Coug95man2
Novice

Postby craftsman » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:57 pm

Pottsie, keep your fingers crossed that the congress passes the hobby distilling bill this year. Even though it will be "legal", I don't think many people including myself would change the privacy of our craft. I wouldn't want to advertise or talk about it since others that can make big mistakes without doing the research can cause a reverse of the law.

I like keeping to myself and enjoying this hobby. Besides my wife wouldn't like it if she knew how long I have been doing this craft. I enjoy it when I have time and do it when I feel like it. I hate pressure to produce. I rack off washes and mashes to save them for when I am good and ready.

I think your concerns are shared by others. Hopefully they will learn from your inquiry into this base of shared knowledge.

Happy stillin"
craftsman
Novice

Previous

Return to Letters From TTB.