Midwest Contingent

This forum is for posting announcements for upcoming meetings or events.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Forum rules
Members need to be aware that as all meetings and events are beyond the control of the administration team here and as such homedistiller and it administration and moderators are not responsible for any action and or occurrence at any meeting or event. Members choose to participate at their own risk and responsibility
For security reasons do not post personal information including names exact addresses,phone numbers and detailed itineraries, this sort of information can be communicated via private message, emails or by phone call
BamaHawk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Midwest Contingent

Post by BamaHawk »

Good day everyone,
New member from Michigan here. I've brewed beer and made wine for many years and decided to expand my hobby further. I've had an interest for many years and now that I'm an empty nester I have more time to pursue it. Would love to connect with others in the area when it's safe to do so. I'll keep my eye on this thread and continue my education process in the meantime.
Wiley1
Novice

Post by Wiley1 »

I am new to the hobby and it would be great to meet up. The Forum is great but it is nice to chat with people in person that can help you learn.
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

Hey there Wiley & Bama, welcome. Perhaps this summer we can make something happen. Seems as though things are on the upswing. I'm beginning to meet with my brewers group mask free. :silent: The toughest trick among us distillers is who's got a place to host a gathering. Anybody out there who's willing an able?
kmmuellr
Novice

Post by kmmuellr »

DetroitDIY wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:09 am Hey there Wiley & Bama, welcome. Perhaps this summer we can make something happen. Seems as though things are on the upswing. I'm beginning to meet with my brewers group mask free. :silent: The toughest trick among us distillers is who's got a place to host a gathering. Anybody out there who's willing an able?
I brewed at Rochester Mills production facility this weekend with all maskless people, and tomorrow is a club meeting where some will be in person! Woo-hoo!! Unfortunately I have family obligations, so won't be able to attend.

I'd be game to try to meet up and learn from some not as new to the craft as me!

K
BamaHawk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BamaHawk »

DetroitDIY wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:09 am Hey there Wiley & Bama, welcome. Perhaps this summer we can make something happen. Seems as though things are on the upswing. I'm beginning to meet with my brewers group mask free. :silent: The toughest trick among us distillers is who's got a place to host a gathering. Anybody out there who's willing an able?
Depends on what you're looking for in a "place". If it's just a meet and greet and tasting then I could likely host. I have a finished basement that is in a "rustic bar" décor and could easily seat 8 at the bar itself and I also have a pub table that seats four.
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

Anyone going to be at MHF this weekend? I'm thinking of you YDIH8U... I'm headed there tomorrow. Would be nice to say hi if you're there. I'll be among the AABG folks. Just ask for the guy who's in this hobby and they'll know where to direct you.

Cheers!
DetroidDIY
ydoih8u
Bootlegger

Post by ydoih8u »

DetroitDIY wrote:Anyone going to be at MHF this weekend? I'm thinking of you YDIH8U... I'm headed there tomorrow. Would be nice to say hi if you're there. I'll be among the AABG folks. Just ask for the guy who's in this hobby and they'll know where to direct you.

Cheers!
DetroidDIY
Yeah, I'll be there. Was actually there tonight for the dinner. Came home and will be heading back out tomorrow afternoon for the rest of the weekend.
mr_kris_kringle
Novice

Post by mr_kris_kringle »

I know this has been inactive for a minute, but its cool to see so many fellow Michiganders (and Midwesterners) on this site. I am new to distilling, but happy to know theres help not too far away if I need it. I’m looking forward to meeting you all at future meetups, local distilleries, or events. Shine on
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

Anyone down to do this again at my lake house? Im back in hardware mode completely rebuilding the rig with 2 thumpers sort of a Caribbean rum setup should make good gin too.
B.S.
When the student is ready the teacher will emerge.

Flute Journey viewtopic.php?f=17&t=69736
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Big Stogie wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:08 pm Anyone down to do this again at my lake house?
Hell yeah... it's been going on for almost 5 yrs..
Time to meet the boys once again before my days on the planet are up..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
ydoih8u
Bootlegger

Post by ydoih8u »

I'd be down
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

Ill message DIY and see if hes down
When the student is ready the teacher will emerge.

Flute Journey viewtopic.php?f=17&t=69736
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

Of course I'm game. :thumbup: You're place was great Big Stogie. I've been off and on between distilling, mead making, and cider making. As I told BS in a PM, I recent filled a 5 gallon barrel with whiskey new make. I've got a couple of amaros I've made. Rum, bourbon, and rye... and some the same UJSM I brought last time, but this time it'll have rested for 18 months on oak and aged another 44 months.

We (I by that I mean you Big Stogie, as the perspective host) should start tossing out some dates if we're going to meet. I've got little trips peppering my summer, but would love to find a weekend in between, or sometime this fall (but sooner is better for me).

It would be great to see you again Mars, Stogie, and Haiter (though the two of us found each other two summers back at MHF). And it would be nice to meet some new folks Mr Kringle, and others in the are who are still quiet as of yet.

Cheers gang! I hope folks have been doing well.
DetroitDIY
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

I have not made it to any of the meet's yet.
Depending on when/where it is going to be I would be interested.
Even if I could only do a day trip.
I am in Central IN, about 3.5 hours from Lansing.
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

If Big Stogie's up for hosting again, it'll be in the Houghton Lake area. If memory serves DSM Loki also tossed out the idea of hosting back in the day. But I'm not sure if he's still on the scene. He was in the Kalamazoo area as I recall.
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

That is about 5.5 hours away.
Might have to drag the boat & chase some toothy fish on the lake too.
I have heard good things about that lake.
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

OK Stogie. Yes he's down. Uko wapi bwana safi? I PMed you back a while ago. I'm game... but now have a busy summer, so late summer or fall works better at present.
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

Hey there crew. I'm still out here. I'm still game for a meet up. Is there someone else who may be good for hosting given we can't connect with Big Stogie.

I did happen to see Ydoih8u at the Michigan Homebrew Festival this past weekend. It would be nice to connect with some of the others. Give a shout.

I've been processing undesired ciders, meads, and beers. Just fixed my dephleg from having let water freeze in it last winter... so neutrals are next. So much to make, plenty of time, too many other projects.

Cheers!
DetroitDIY