a HD thanksgiving feast (Jedfest) 2014

This forum is for posting announcements for upcoming meetings or events.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Forum rules
Members need to be aware that as all meetings and events are beyond the control of the administration team here and as such homedistiller and it administration and moderators are not responsible for any action and or occurrence at any meeting or event. Members choose to participate at their own risk and responsibility
For security reasons do not post personal information including names exact addresses,phone numbers and detailed itineraries, this sort of information can be communicated via private message, emails or by phone call
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Re: a HD thanksgiving feast (Jedfest)

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

And the whole time, Jed would deflect any praise or compliment by saying "I'm just making a meal", and ultimately that's just what it felt like. Thanks again Jed. :D :thumbup:
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Bigbob wrote:Wow- that's all,Wow
yep, Wow. Guess you had to have been there.
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

No-one went home thirsty.

Boom
Attachments
Jedfest.table.jpg
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Had a great time yesterday. Mrs. Jed and the kids were worried about all the strangers. In the end they all had fun. Randy and shine were the only two that crashed here. I have a couple bottles to do reviews on but im gonna wait a couple days to try and give my best try.
Woke up this morning with not a stitch of a hangover, but I am ready for a nap. Woke up at 4:00 yesterday and didn't fall asleep to 2 and back up at 6:30.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

BoomTown wrote:No-one went home thirsty.

Boom
If I remember rite there are no duplicate bottles in that pic. One bottle of every bodies.
big help
Dunder
MichiganCornhusker
retired

jedneck wrote: If I remember rite there are no duplicate bottles in that pic. One bottle of every bodies.
No duplicates, and unless I missed something, I tried em all! :D
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

Home safe and sound... had to stop off at that Cabela's in Hamburg on I-78... damn is that place huge!

Jed, thank you so much! That wasn't even all the bottles, T.C. had left with his by the time we took that picture. I tried to try everything... I think I got about 95% of it. Michigan, I think you might have had 1 or 2 bottles I didn't try (was it 8 you brought?). I had been drinking whiskey (and plenty of other stuff) for hours by the time you arrived. Man, what an excellent time! This is such a niche hobby, so it was so great to be surrounded by people who were all talking stillin all night long. That's really the best part, I think. Which is amazing... because there's not much that could compete with drinking more than 30 different kinds of fantastic home-made spirits in one night, but I really believe the camaraderie was the best part. Jed, the food was phenomenal, thanksgiving really got a run for it's money this weekend. Boom, your whiskey is excellent... I'm drinking it right now to cap off my wonderful weekend. Shine, I wish I brought more nip bottles so I could have taken some of you UJ feints run and Jed's dirty bastard.

I've been thinking about what my favorite sample was of the whole evening... and Jed, honestly I think it was your oaked peach wine. All of those wines were excellent, your father's recipes are all top-notch. Maybe Moose's lemonade was my favorite... that was the 1 item I drank the most of (1 with Jed's white dog, 1 with my neutrals, and a few without any alcohol). I suppose I can't really say anything was my favorite, because every single person who came had spirits that were very good... good enough that I could have spent an entire evening on each individual one. Just trying to remember everything I drank is difficult... and it doesn't help that I was completely hammered by the end of the evening. I stayed up later than you, though, Shine. Haha!

Thank you all for everything, especially Jed! :clap: I can't wait til next time! Who's gonna get the trophy next?
Life member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

http://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

Michigan, what was the three letter bottle you had again? I just remembered that one as well as Jed's potato sugar head... two more contenders for the belt. It's slowly coming back to me in waves. :lol:
Life member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

RandyMarshCT wrote:Michigan, what was the three letter bottle you had again? I just remembered that one as well as Jed's potato sugar head... two more contenders for the belt. It's slowly coming back to me in waves. :lol:
I think your talking about the yam.
big help
Dunder
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Lol, yam is 3 letters, so was my rum, but I think he's talking about CBR, my corn/barley/rye whiskey. That yam juice is certainly memorable, but an acquired taste I think.

Such an invaluable opportunity to be able to taste so many great bottles in one place!
The experience confirmed some of what I think I'm doing right, and also gave good inspiration for how to improve.
Jed opened his Entire stock to us, that in itself was fantastic!

Btw, randy makes a damn fine beer too, barrel aged maple bacon imperial stout, no?
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

Mch I missed your cornstalk juice. When you make a detour again bring some along if you can.

I think it was the ultimate thanksgiving feast. Great food, great drinks, and best of all great new friends.
I have a fealing if done again will need a bigger house.
big help
Dunder
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Long drive, but made it back to michigan.
Hey, randy, we're at founders! Jed, they have dirty bastard on tap, and it's good, but I would trade it for a shot of yours right now. :thumbup:
image.jpg
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Hear hear, to all.

I am cozied up on the couch with the fam, reminiscing last night. Honestly, it's been a long time since I have felt so comfortable around people that I had just met. It's also been a long time since I have had such a great time. Honestly, it was like sitting down for a meal with family. Everyone was so warm and generous, I couldn't imagine not meeting you all.

It was definitely a historic day for HD. Thank you and your family, Jed, for doing this.

That meat pot was friggin awesome. The venison roast was beautiful. I have been looking all around the house for something to eat today, and that was all I could think about. Nothing else was satisfying me today.

Although the homemade sticky buns were dam good, and worth staying over for in them selves. Yes, as Randy points out so playfully, I was first to crash. Honestly, I still don't remember even putting my head to the couch, but who can blame me. You saw the table. Both of them. 9 hours of tasting the best liquor you have ever had, and having a meal like that...

So thank you Jed for having me. Thank you Randy for making the drive, and for the parting gifts. Thank you Boom and lady di for just being you. You truly are beautiful spirits. Thank you Boom's kids- to your son for being my college ball buddy, and to the daughter for keeping a watchful eye on us all. Thank you very much MCH for blowing off work and riding in. I am very grateful that you made it for dinner. I look forward to getting to know you better, and seeing what other spirits you create. You definitely bring creativity along with quality.

It was an honor to share a meal with you all, and a privilege to call you friends.

-SCD
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
MichiganCornhusker
retired

jedneck wrote:Mch I missed your cornstalk juice. When you make a detour again bring some along if you can.
I missed your wine entirely, so yes, we will definitely have an opportunity to carry on where we left off soon. I see many more shared jars in our future. Now that I've tasted so many wheat spirits, I'm surprised how much the stalk juice tastes like wheat. Jedfest increased my taste library 100-fold.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Happy for all of you and my wife and I are so disappointed that we couldn't attend .
>Jed was gracious enough to offer to send us a couple of bottles from the Fest . I told him to hang on to them and we would try to come up in the spring for a day trip . Wouldn't feel right getting a prize for a contest I
didn't even enter .
>As for next year : I got a couple hundred acres of family farm within 10 miles of WVU . Lots of space for self contained campers . Couple of good bass ponds . Long range groundhog shooting if the hay is off . Any college gamers that might consider coming thisaway could camp here free of charge from today on . Just a thought to throw out for kickin around .
>Give me your thoughts .
>The family members that got hospitalized are all doing well at this point . Thanks for the prayers .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

It was the CBR I was thinking about, but the yam was excellent too... I wouldn't call it an acquired taste, I thought it tasted great the moment I tried it. I never thought of using yams. My list of "stuff to make" is so damn long now I'm never going to make it through. Yams are on the list for sure, Mich. I'd really like to try and make a clover wine... I've never tasted anything like that. Malting... once I feel confident enough to try it I'll probably be PMing you Jed. I had written off potatoes after my 1 potato vodka experience, but now I want to try again after that white dog you made, Jed.

Mich, I'm very jealous... I really want to get to Founders. Also, yes, that was an Imperial Maple Bacon Breakfast Stout I aged in the Maple spirit barrel (4 months) after the spirit came out. Time to tear that barrel apart, plane the inside and re-char. I'll try and document the process and post a thread, so everyone can get a look a the inside of a 20 liter from 1000 oaks barrel. Somebody had mentioned in another thread (might have been on ADI) that their barrels had thinner staves and I've been curious ever since.

TB, I'm sorry you couldn't make it. I hope you enjoy the samples when they finally make it your way. My bourbon and my maple spirit are in with them. I'd be happy to drive down in the future if you ever want tasting company.

MichiganCornhusker
retired

Truckin', I'm almost positive I could arrange one of my east coast trips around a date to come share a little shine with ya. I usually take the turnpike back to Mich outta DC, but the drive out I-68 is actually much nicer, and that would put me right on track for a Butchfest! I would look forward to it. :D :thumbup:

Randy, I'll pick up a few growlers of something from the taproom next time we meet up. Backwoods Bastard was so good last night.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

I am hoping to start reveiwing stuff tonite. Not sure what I'm gonna start with, they are all good. Randy I feel you on the list of stuff to try fermenting. My next goal is to try an acorn mash. I'm goons let momma nature do the malting and gather them in the spring. Single malt acorn whiskey should be different.
big help
Dunder
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

TB,

Am I seeing an offer to go after the "Host Trophy" here? WV... Gotta say, the Lady Di lit up like a Christmass tree at the mere suggestion...

We'll be up for it, if you decide to do it.

Boom
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

BoomTown wrote:TB,

Am I seeing an offer to go after the "Host Trophy" here? WV... Gotta say, the Lady Di lit up like a Christmass tree at the mere suggestion...

Boom
Trophy ? I don't need no stinkin trophy ! You got to compete to get a trophy and I'm not in competition with anyone for a trophy . I was merely offering another location to take the onus off of Jed . It's not been unusual for us to host gatherings here for 30 to 50 folks . Crude camping and shared culinary duties .
>My thought was that my location might put a gathering more in reach of some of our more southern and western members east of the Big Muddy .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

Started a taste and review thread for the spirits.http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 47&t=52206
Butch I told boomtown "I don't deserve a trophy, I'm just cooking a meal." Didn't work its still here.
big help
Dunder
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Truckinbutch wrote:Trophy ? I don't need no stinkin trophy ! You got to compete to get a trophy and I'm not in competition with anyone for a trophy . I was merely offering another location to take the onus off of Jed . It's not been unusual for us to host gatherings here for 30 to 50 folks . Crude camping and shared culinary duties .
>My thought was that my location might put a gathering more in reach of some of our more southern and western members east of the Big Muddy .
Don't look at it as a trophy, after all its not a "competition ". I would see it more as recognition for hosting, an honorary type thing, to say thanks. I think boom started something great with this, and it will become something historical!
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

moosemilk wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote:Trophy ? I don't need no stinkin trophy ! You got to compete to get a trophy and I'm not in competition with anyone for a trophy . I was merely offering another location to take the onus off of Jed . It's not been unusual for us to host gatherings here for 30 to 50 folks . Crude camping and shared culinary duties .
Don't look at it as a trophy, after all its not a "competition ". I would see it more as recognition for hosting, an honorary type thing, to say thanks. I think boom started something great with this, and it will become something historical!
Moose that is how I see it. Its not that I was the first one to step up to the plate, woodshed did, I was the first one to set an early date.
big help
Dunder
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Truckinbutch wrote:

Boom
Trophy ? I don't need no stinkin trophy ! You got to compete to get a trophy and I'm not in competition with anyone for a trophy . I was merely offering another location to take the onus off of Jed . It's not been unusual for us to host gatherings here for 30 to 50 folks . Crude camping and shared culinary duties .
TB, I'm sorry my posting tipped over your bucket. The trophy involved isn't awarded by way of competition, quite to the contrary. It's about recognizing someone for be selflessness, being welcoming, and generous. It's a token of recognition and affection for someone who might feel so inclined as to extend an invitation to strangers and welcome them to gather and share ideas, and fellowship. There is no competition, just recognition.

And BTW, I'm not sure anyone who's seen it actually is offended by it. It certainly represents the respect and consideration for the art, as well as exemplifies the appreciation of the group for the host who steps up to host.

I'm sorry you feel that way. Jed has no obligation to defend it, simply have it around as a token of our apprication for holding the first gathering of the kind. Hopefully, he'll find a way to inscribe his name, and the date of Jedfest on it somewhere and pass it along to someone else willing to host a gathering like he did. No offense intended, and certainly no competition required.

Boom
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

BoomTown wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote:

Boom
TB, I'm sorry my posting tipped over your bucket. The trophy involved isn't awarded by way of competition, quite to the contrary. It's about recognizing someone for be selflessness, being welcoming, and generous. It's a token of recognition and affection for someone who might feel so inclined as to extend an invitation to strangers and welcome them to gather and share ideas, and fellowship. There is no competition, just recognition.

And BTW, I'm not sure anyone who's seen it actually is offended by it. It certainly represents the respect and consideration for the art, as well as exemplifies the appreciation of the group for the host who steps up to host.

I'm sorry you feel that way. Jed has no obligation to defend it, simply have it around as a token of our apprication for holding the first gathering of the kind. Hopefully, he'll find a way to inscribe his name, and the date of Jedfest on it somewhere and pass it along to someone else willing to host a gathering like he did. No offense intended, and certainly no competition required.

Boom
We are all good ,Brother . I wasn't upset or offended . Just my low pro asshole way of ducking recognition . If I became the host of the next gathering I would be honored to host the icon of our craft until the next brother/sister stepped up to host the next one .
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

If i didn't think i'd be barkin' up a dead dog's arse, i'd be inviting you all up to a shindig here in the frozen north. we got some awesome fishing in june and july whent he water actually flows downhill....and there's no better place to see the aurora borealis from, but i'm pretty sure sure i'll be making it down t' see y'all long before you make your way to this far end of the earth!
getting my name on that vessel would be an honour.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

I've seen the "trophy" in person, and I can report that it is a fine piece, and it is plenty big enough to record the names of many, many hosts! I agree that there is nothing competitive about it, simply a token of the goodwill that is evident throughout this site. I would think that anyone that offers up a location and date for a "meeting of the minds" will find that some HD renegades will show up. HDNB, don't think you are to far into the hinterland to have people show up, I think a lot of us are adventurous by nature and always on the lookout for a next journey. :wave: And whether it's a party of 1, or 100, I think it's a great opportunity to add another facet to this hobby. Each of the stillers that attended Jedfest were uniquely passionate about what they were doing, and each person was doing it a little differently. I figured it would be a good time to hang out at Jed's, but what really surprised me is how much I learned simply by sharing the night with other shiners. I came away from the event with a renewed inspiration to explore my processes and recipes, and met some great folks in the bargain. I would encourage anybody to host one of these meetings, and also to attend one. Thanks to Woodshed for pressing this idea, and thanks to Jed for making the first one such a success. :thumbup:
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

HDNB wrote:If i didn't think i'd be barkin' up a dead dog's arse, i'd be inviting you all up to a shindig here in the frozen north. we got some awesome fishing in june and july whent he water actually flows downhill....and there's no better place to see the aurora borealis from, but i'm pretty sure sure i'll be making it down t' see y'all long before you make your way to this far end of the earth!
getting my name on that vessel would be an honour.
Hi HDNB, I once worked a winter in Bethal, so I can attest to the fine fishing. Wish it were possible to give that a go.
Boom
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

WOW! Our community has grown so rapidly in such a short space of time . We have progressed to a Liar's Bench , a Novella , And one slap dab helluva good cookout/gathering . Let the good times roll :clap: Afore ya know it the Baptists around here are gonna start drinkin in front of each other :crazy: (I know that pushed the limits :oops: Anybody objectin is welcome to ask a MOD to delete the post and I will have no problem .It's a household joke around here )
Red Rim
Trainee

Post by Red Rim »

Really, really bummed about missing this event!

Gives me extra motivation to make it to Woodsheds and Bear rivers upcoming events.

Well done Jed!
There is no such thing as a stupid question....... Unless you didn't research it first.