All about absinthe

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Absinthe: Please teach me

Post by Bigbob »

Just checking flights because I'm crazy, sorry out of my price range :esad:
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

Bummer... it would be awesome to meet you Bigbob. I'm still really bummed that I couldn't make it to S3. I think about it every time I put my t-shirt on.
Life member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

http://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

That's totally awesome, Randy. I'm stoked! Truly, this is a rare opportunity that you have created. And, as I myself have also never had absinthe, so we can learn together.

There is something magical about the history and legend behind the drink. And you won't find such an opportunity to sample some of the best, all laid out next to each other. And never in the comfort of your own home, as well. Good job Randy.

I will be there on the 8th with a smile in my face.

MCH, I would love to see you again as well. Jed fest was all to long ago, and by the time you got there, I had been hanging with Jed and Randy for many hours...

Cheers!
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

just found this thread, sounds like a great time. im just outside of Hartford. ill pm you
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

RandyMarsh,

This shindig still on for Aug 8th? How do you feel about a Jimbo Absinthe in the lineup? Id be curious to see how it stacks up and get you guys feedback and thoughts against the others you have. Its my first crack at an Absinthe so not expecting any awards or praise, just honest feedback good or bad. Bigbob and Woodshed tried it at S3 and both said some very nice things. Another friend of mine here enjoys it and has drank more of it now than I have :? Anyway, Im running very low, have 1/2 a quart left at 132 proof bottle strength, but could send you a 375ml bottle of it if you PM me your address. Been sittin a bit now and mellowed nice, 2 1/4 years old. If you want it I'll drop a couple fresh mint leaves in for some fresh green color and get it shipped by Monday. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 0#p7071993

Cheers,

Jimbo
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

Jimbo, that would be totally awesome! PM on it's way.
Life member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

RandyMarshCT wrote:Jimbo, that would be totally awesome! PM on it's way.
:thumbup:

My first Jimbo experience :clap: . Very cool!
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Your in for a treat......Jimbo is very modest, but I'm betting his will stand with the commercial if not above!
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

I received Jimbo's package today and nearly had a heart attack. The carrier had broken the Absinthe bottle! Through some type of miracle, only about a shot and a half had leaked out. Immediately poured the bottle through an unbleached coffee filter and into a jar to get the glass out. So, we WILL be sampling some Jimbo absinthe at the tasting. :thumbup:
20150730_122635.jpg

Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Wow, I had those wrapped to hell and back in bubble wrap. They must have whipped the whole box hard across the room. Lucky it didnt leak out, that is a miracle.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

Jimbo wrote:Wow, I had those wrapped to hell and back in bubble wrap. They must have whipped the whole box hard across the room. Lucky it didnt leak out, that is a miracle.
After working for several years as a package handler at FedEx I learned just about every way something can be packaged or broken. Next time try rolling some cardboard around each bottle, with some overlap on top and bottom before wrapping with bubble wrap, then wrap those in cardboard.
Last edited by DSM Loki on Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

What is Rolling Stone cardboard? Does it have sympathy for the devil? :mrgreen: Seriously though what is stone cardboard?
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

Ha-ha, autocorrect got me again, fixed.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Maybe not the carrier. I left truckinbutch's place with some of his premium white dog in one of those very same bottles
Not far down the road I heard a clink but didn't thing much of it. About a mile further I smelled the unmistakable smell of heart of hearts UJ. Pulled over to find the bottle broken, about half empty. A couple tears fell into what was left as I carefully decanted into another bottle.
That thing was in a cloth wine bottle carrier sitting on carpet with only soft things around it. It was a clink, not a crash. No idea how that could have happened, but sure looks like that one did the same thing.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Hey, Jimbo, I had a theory about my bottle cracking. It was filled to the brim with delicious UJ and then sealed with the stopper, gasket, and draw latch.
My theory was that because there was no air headspace in the bottle, internal pressure was created by sealing it this way. Not a ton of pressure, but maybe enough to cause the bottle to clink.
Looking at Randy's photo of your bourbon, I don't see any air in that bottle either. Any thoughts?
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Could be, sure, thats as good a theory as any. Altho this wouldnt be the first time our beloved USPS smashed my bottles. I filled them to the top to avoid sloshing noises, USPS is funny about liquids.
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

Yeah, filling to the top can easily cause this. Hitting a bump could cause cavitation events that can send a pressure wave through the liquid that will pop the glass apart. If you fill a glass bottle completely full, hold it in one hand, and also your palm down on the top you can shoot the bottom right off the bottle.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

The smaller the headspace in a bottle, the smaller the temperature rise needed to break it.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Interesting, learn something new everyday. Im gonna try and blow the bottom off one for fun.
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

It's a neat trick once you get the hang of it.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

DSM Loki wrote:It's a neat trick once you get the hang of it.
Ha, sounds like it could be a bloody trick until you get the hang of it. :shock:

Thanks for the info about the full-bottle-crack-glass-phenomenon.
It won't get me that UJ back, but it might keep me from losing more in the future.
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:
DSM Loki wrote:It's a neat trick once you get the hang of it.
Ha, sounds like it could be a bloody trick until you get the hang of it. :shock:

Thanks for the info about the full-bottle-crack-glass-phenomenon.
It won't get me that UJ back, but it might keep me from losing more in the future.
Ooh, you'll bruise your palm long before you get cut.

https://youtu.be/lDMcrvjDpCY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

Shooting for about 3:00 pm on Saturday if that works for everyone. Rager is bringing some stuff for the grill and I'll have stuff to grill as well. Since there are 8 commercial absinthes and 1 Jimbo absinthe, I though it would be best to put a hearty meal in the middle.

Jimbo, has Odin had your bourbon before? I'm sending him a package next week and was considering including a nip bottle of yours with it if he hasn't. Although, it will be difficult to send any of it away, it's so damn good!

Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

RandyMarshCT wrote:
Jimbo, has Odin had your bourbon before? I'm sending him a package next week and was considering including a nip bottle of yours with it if he hasn't.
Yes, we had a get together at Windys a while back and I brought a box full of goodies.
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

Jimbo wrote:
RandyMarshCT wrote:
Jimbo, has Odin had your bourbon before? I'm sending him a package next week and was considering including a nip bottle of yours with it if he hasn't.
Yes, we had a get together at Windys a while back and I brought a box full of goodies.
Cool, I'm keeping it then. :thumbup: Well... short of whatever ShineOn and the others sample this weekend.

Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

RandyMarshCT wrote:
Jimbo wrote:
RandyMarshCT wrote:
Cool, I'm keeping it then. :thumbup: Well... short of whatever ShineOn and the others sample this weekend.
Happy you enjoy it! Wished I would have sent ya a bigger bottle now. Those swingtop flasks are nice and convenient, those were from some stuff MCH brought me during a visit. (YAM!!!)
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

RandyMarshCT wrote:Shooting for about 3:00 pm on Saturday if that works for everyone. Rager is bringing some stuff for the grill and I'll have stuff to grill as well. Since there are 8 commercial absinthes and 1 Jimbo absinthe, I though it would be best to put a hearty meal in the middle.
Just beat me to the punch. I had intended to drop you a line tonight, asking what you would like me to bring. We should coordinate what we all are bringing.

That goes for spirits, too. I will be bringing a growler of a local brewery's dark stout to have with dinner, and maybe a bottle of UJ, just to have. I don't have anything fancy to bring, but as always, will bring what I have.

Been a stoked all weekend. Can't wait to see you guys!
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

RandyMarshCT wrote:
Jimbo wrote:
RandyMarshCT wrote:
Ahh, thanks bud. Wasn't looking to leave ya dry, just wanted a taste of the wheated bourbon that started AG for me.

I failed at it, but it will serve to set where a good wheated is suppose to be.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:
RandyMarshCT wrote:
Jimbo wrote:
RandyMarshCT wrote:
Ahh, thanks bud. Wasn't looking to leave ya dry, just wanted a taste of the wheated bourbon that started AG for me.

I failed at it, but it will serve to set where a good wheated is suppose to be.
Shine, taste RandyMarshes wheated bourbon too, thats exactly where it needs to be. He nailed it.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Jimbo wrote:
Shine, taste RandyMarshes wheated bourbon too, thats exactly where it needs to be. He nailed it.
Oh, I plan too...err...I mean I'm sure he'll let me :shh: :ebiggrin:

Honestly I don't think I knew it was wheated. That's friggin awesome. Gonna be a great weekend.

Everything I tasted of Randy's at Jedfest was quality liquor. His vodka was clean, and the maple was perfect. Still holding the take home for a special occasion.