S3 2015 meeting defined

This forum is for posting announcements for upcoming meetings or events.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Forum rules
Members need to be aware that as all meetings and events are beyond the control of the administration team here and as such homedistiller and it administration and moderators are not responsible for any action and or occurrence at any meeting or event. Members choose to participate at their own risk and responsibility
For security reasons do not post personal information including names exact addresses,phone numbers and detailed itineraries, this sort of information can be communicated via private message, emails or by phone call
Jimbo
retired

Re: S3 meeting defined

Post by Jimbo »

woodshed wrote: if you are "lawn chair Kinging it" the party starts when you sit down.
Indeed
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

woodshed wrote:Never had a classier, or wittier house guest than T-Pee. Pipes Yo, and knows his way around some breakfast.
Obviously I wasn't myself. I don't know whoinell that was. :sarcasm:

tp
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

Well thanks for behaving yourself. :wink:

Drone vs Ringo. One of my favorite moments from the meeting. How is drone?
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Shaken and slightly stirred but no permanent damage. :)

tp
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I am not in a position to make a request as I backed out of this years S3 gathering but in a perfect world! It would be really nice if the S3 meeting next year was close to the ADI national conference dates as I know a lot of our members attend the ADI conference. Next year the ADI conference is in San Diego so for me it would be great if I could attend one then drive over/down to the other and make it a 2 week road trip. I could book a condo in both locations for a week each, but like I say I am only one person but you might want to look at the calendars.
Thanks for listening.
Bushman
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

maybe a different location if it means more could attend. :?:
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

He ... you are all more than welcome to come over to the Netherlands!

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

Odin wrote:He ... you are all more than welcome to come over to the Netherlands!

Regards, Odin.
I'd love to!

I'm making it next year, regardless of where it is!
Life member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

http://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Haha, careful what you wish for Odin. Talk to shed about the herd that took over his house for a week. :). That said, I'd do Netherlands.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Yeah, but we cooked!

tp (and his spatula)
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

A very well mannered herd. No problems at all. Must have been the influence of Ringo.

I would not even consider another one if that had not been the case.
I think this event will stay put. Time of year is certainly open. A year from now would be best.

Multiple gatherings across the globe would be cool. Here in the states we could have S3 mountain, N, S, E, W. Midwest. Y'all get the idea.

Really admire Jedneck for stepping up last fall. Took courage and devotion to the craft for that to happen.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Booner it was your idea to have a gettogether. If you wouldn't have started the meating of the mi ds thread I wouldn't have got the bug to host. I fingered that one of two things would happen, I would meat like minded individuals and make a bunch of new friends or johny law would show up and I would get three hots and a cot while all you guys supported my family on welfare. Win win.
Sounds like soon we gonna need to take over a whole county to have enuf room for everbody.
Still wishin I would have said fuckit and quit my job to make it out.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

jedneck wrote:I fingered that one of two things would happen, I would meat like minded individuals and make a bunch of new friends or johny law would show up and I would get three hots and a cot while all you guys supported my family on welfare. Win win.
:lol:

It takes a lot of balls to do this. Thank you to both of you for stepping up to the challenge!
Life member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

The SOH just finished a varocketry mint julep and gave it a heaven in a glass rating. Fresh mint from the front yard and a great UJ.
Thanks va.

I just finished a bit of Windy's steam room aged. We talked about this process at the meeting while both fairly buzzed and I was unsure at the time what I thought about doing so.

While a very good product was the end result I am not convinced it was due to the steam room. I lean towards the contrary myself.
It may have been better without the steam, which I see as ultimately counterproductive.

The product came across well because of great cuts. This we did not discuss but Windy(and everyone from the Windy City) know they make great cuts and represent the best of HD.

MCH, send it my way. Corene will have to as well as those jars left with somebody. I will do a blend and have a about a gallon of the original barrel left for next year considering the blending and the Angel's Share, here typically 7% a year.

For the next meeting we will be doing a dark malt variation. No recipe, just inspiration. This can be a sugarhead to AG. White Dawg or your special twist. Windy's Rasputin was the catalyst in my mind for this. Windy and Jimbo threw out the idea for next year and I mentioned dark grains. A meeting of the minds. Kinda the whole concept.

Consider this your call to arms. You have a year(more or less) to crank out a S3 2016 bottle. Put your signature on it. Not write your name on it, although that would have helped on a couple that showed up this year, but make the spirit your own, with a grain profile dominated by dark grains. Let's use the Bourbon bill with a twist. At least 51% dark grains. I will have a fair amount of corn(of course) in there finished with Ya'll have to guess.

If 2016 is anything like this year you want to come to Pagosa for S3.
robb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by robb »

I like it! S316. June, wk 3 0r 4?? Dark Bourbon. If Rob has a place for a trailer fine if not I will camp in the woods again. Don't mind confronting "Ranger Rick" and the Bike Boys again, just keeps the juices flowing.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

I like it. This barrel of triple smoke with dark grains is now my Batch S316 in honor of S3. Doing up a double batch mash today while running the wash from last week. It went to 0.994 gravity and tastes heavenly (the wash) :) This last double batch should take care of filling this 5g barrel.
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

So for all of you that have experience with the darker grains, what are some of the characteristics that are unique to them. I would imagine that since a lot of you are beer brewers that you have had a lot of experience with the different types of grains out there. Does the variety of roasted flavors come through into the distillate? I have been reading on them and most of the reviews are from beer brewers. I guess this one will be a pure experiment in flavors.
3d0g
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 3d0g »

I think it was Breiss that was splashing spirits made with their grains by a local university at ADI. I tried one of the dark malt ones and flavors definitely come across, though not all good. Lots of bitter and tannins. I'd definitely be conservative in use.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

I'm with Corene on this - to the uniniated, could we have some definition of what you might consider "dark" grains? Does this include smoked grains, roasted grains (maillard reaction), or something else?
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
3d0g
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 3d0g »

I believe the spirit I tasted was 100% chocolate malt. Also tasted 100% cherry wood smoked and was really impressed with that one.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

These dark grains we're talking about are considered 'specialty grains' in the brewshops. Straight 2 row, 6 row, pilsner etc are considered 'base malts' You can find lots of specialty grains at northernbrewer.com morebeer.com midwestsupplies.com and many others.

Here's a list of them https://byo.com/resources/grains" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow Dont miss the drop down tab at the top to pull up the grains from different regions.
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

Would a smoked grain count as a dark grain?

I'm thinking chocolate wheat bourbon. Smoke some of the corn in the smoker over apple wood.

26% apple wood smoked corn, 25% un-smoked corn, 25% Chocolate malt, 24% Wheat. This would only work if the smoked corn could be called a dark grain.

(Sorry... I'm partial to wheat bourbons)

Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Looks like a fine recipe RandyMarsh. I dont believe theres any hard and fast rules here. My recipe is a triple smoke with some roasted and toasted malts of varying darkness.

PS: Bring some more of your wheated bourbon too please. That my friend is a damn fine drop! Among my favorites on the table for sure!
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Regarding that link to grains. 3 of my favorites for making beer turn out to be all in teh Belgian tab. Special B, Aromatic Malt, and Biscuit malt. All 3 do wonderful things to beer! For those that were at S3, that toasted flavor in the RyePA on tap came from Chocolate Rye, found in the German tab.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

That looks nice, Randy. 25% might be a lot for the chocolate malt, though. The heavier roasts like chocolate, black patent, roasted barley, etc. really carry over with a strong flavor. Maybe Brutal and Windy can weigh in on this, but I've noticed considerable character from roasted grains with as little as 5%-7% of the entire grain bill. I like the idea of these malts and smoke with corn, looking forward to experimenting with some small batches.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

The chicken is back. What was with the pipe dude? homage to dad?
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

I got 40ish # of corn malting and I thnk I'm gonna smoke it with corn cobs and toast 15# of wheat malt. And 10 # of rye.
big help
Dunder
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:That looks nice, Randy. 25% might be a lot for the chocolate malt, though. The heavier roasts like chocolate, black patent, roasted barley, etc. really carry over with a strong flavor. Maybe Brutal and Windy can weigh in on this, but I've noticed considerable character from roasted grains with as little as 5%-7% of the entire grain bill. I like the idea of these malts and smoke with corn, looking forward to experimenting with some small batches.
MC, I was thinking the same thing, but want to stick with the 51% dark concept. I'll have to think about this one a bit.

Jimbo, thank you so much for the compliment. Thank yourself as well... you gave me all the advice that made that recipe great. I absolutely love it, but I'm nervous whenever another stiller tries it. Our tastes are all different. My attempts at the S3 recipe were my biggest failures to date... I must redeem myself with next year's recipe!

(posted same time as Jed)

jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

jedneck wrote:I got 40ish # of corn malting and I thnk I'm gonna smoke it with corn cobs and toast 15# of wheat malt. And 10 # of rye.
Gonna toast ehuf of the corn also to get 51% roasted grains. Unless smoking them counts.
big help
Dunder
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

RandyMarshCT wrote:but want to stick with the 51% dark concept.
I agree with MC, dark stuff like the chocolates, black patent, special B, dark caramels, special roast, etc, all the High Lovibond grains will come across very strong in your drink. You might want to reconsider. You could put a tray of 2 row in the oven as well and roast to a slightly darker character. Not only is it much cheaper to make your own roasted malt, but you have control over how much and how dark. Toasted just slightly adds a real nice nutty flavor, I do this for a toasted pale ale I make. Also will be incorporating into S316.

My Toasted Blond babe...... LOL
ToastedBlond (1).jpg