S3 2015 meeting defined

This forum is for posting announcements for upcoming meetings or events.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Forum rules
Members need to be aware that as all meetings and events are beyond the control of the administration team here and as such homedistiller and it administration and moderators are not responsible for any action and or occurrence at any meeting or event. Members choose to participate at their own risk and responsibility
For security reasons do not post personal information including names exact addresses,phone numbers and detailed itineraries, this sort of information can be communicated via private message, emails or by phone call
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Re: S3 meeting defined

Post by woodshed »

Jimbo wrote:
T-Pee wrote:
S-Cackalacky wrote:Yep, the monkey with the toilet paper fetish.
To be honest, my username has little to do with my noted predication for bathroom humor although that does play a part. It's actually more my location.

No, Jimbo. it's not in Texas or Louisiana. :silent:

tp
What gave you away was your pipes. This mutherfornicator (TP) can sing!!! Pipes yo.
Props to the pipes yo :clap:
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

S-Cackalacky wrote:Just wondering - when you were all at the S3 meeting, did you address each other by your real names, or did you use your HD member names? I get this comical image of how it must have sounded when you were out in public.
A little of both actually. I found it almost impossible to refer to T-Pee as any other. I remember being called Steve, wood, shed, and Booner.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Anyone wanna hear TP killing Carrie Underwood, Before He Cheats? TP kills it, no joke. Mind Blown. 50 yr old crusty fucker (lol sorry) nailin a 20 something female hit spot on. It's freaky.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

It was about 50%. Some folks looked more with their real name, some don't. It also depended on the drunkenness of the person calling the name. As the night went on it was harder to remember folks real names. Lol.
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Hard to believe it was just a week ago.
I posted a few quick impressions of the table while driving back from the fest, but I want to share a few more things that continue to stand out for me a week later.

VARocketry's UJ was one of the first things I tasted after arriving and it was very smooth, much more refined than the batch of UJ I have made myself. Really opened my eyes to how nice that recipe can be if you really know what you're doing.

One of the bottles I was most looking forward to tasting was BigBob's sweetfeed. Partly because I had never tried a sweetfeed before, and mostly because he clearly likes it! I was an instant believer, at about 6 months it is a very easy drinker, many layers of flavor, and I like the rum zing that the molasses gives the spirit. He's definitely got his process dialed in.

The S3 bottles (and barrel) were a great idea and I enjoyed tasting and comparing them all. I like Corene's idea to combine some of them for next years meet. I'd be happy to send a bottle of mine back out to you, Woodshed, if you would like to take on that task.

MidwestShiner brought a nice whiskey, but what I enjoyed most was meeting him and Ms. Midwest. MS is very enthusiastic about what we all do, and he liked Pagosa so much that I think he is seriously considering moving out there and becoming SouthwestShiner. I hope we get a chance to meet up again soon before you leave my neck of the woods.

Robb had a corn whiskey that tasted like buttery caramel corn. While we all thought it might have been a one-off kind of fermentation, we also all talked about how we could maybe replicate it! Very special drop.

I had the rare occasion to taste a whiskey that has been aging in WindyCity's steam room. Not too many people can say that! I still say there is some rye in the recipe, or maybe they just use rye scented shampoo. Windy's generosity throughout this event has been above and beyond, thank you very much. I'm enjoying a glass of your spiced rum that you sent me home with as I type this and I Likey!

I got to taste some old friends like Jed's 9-grain and Dirty Bastard, Randy's Maple goodness, and some new friends like GAFlatwood's Creekwater, Jed's Tootie Fruity, and Randy's whiskey. Being able to sample BigR's Genever was a totally unexpected treat, a humbling experience to be able to taste something made by one of my hero's on the site.

Jimbo brought an alcoholic arsenal. It could take a day just to sample all of the bottles he brought. I had had his Bonfire before and it continues to be one of my favorites, a scotch smokeyness with many more layers of flavors. His apple brandy is delicious, so good that I have no idea how he hasn't already drank all of it. The whiskey labeled CO3 included spirit from his wheat flour experiment, a fruity direct connection to one of my favorite all-time threads on this forum, his wheat flour experiment. That story has all the thrill of victory, agony of defeat, and spirit of a crazed trailblazer.

T-Pee shared his Costco-Calvados with us and it was one of the bottles that drained the quickest, very tasty spirit and was enjoyed by all. Oh, and has anyone mentioned that T-Pee can sing? T-Pee can sing, for real. It was a wonderful surprise to discover that on Woodshed's deck, and then again at the beer garden with Jimbo and the band. Talent runs in all directions with this group!

What a tremendous priviledge it was to drink Woodshed's Smoke Shine for the first time in Woodshed's home! An excellent bottle, and I think one of the most creative, truly handcrafted spirits out there. Steve gave us a great tour of the Woodshed Distillery and you can feel the love. It was impressive and inspiring to see how he and Holly have set up the business and how a small distillery can be manageable and it is a dream that can be attained. He was very open to our questions and shared every step of his operation with us.

I know this post is long winded, but it barely scratches the surface. I was able to cram a lot into 48 hours. I can't believe my timing, to join the HD Forum less than a year ago, and through it have these opportunities to learn so much about every nook and cranny of distillation, and now to meet some of the greatest people doing it!

My biggest take-away from all this is simply that we are making some damn fine spirits. It wasn't just being able to taste so many different spirits, it was that the collection of spirits offered up by the members of HD are unique, and can be experienced no other way. The members I've met from this forum are also unique and I just want you all to know, I lice you guys! Cheers!

Edit: While I was spending the evening typing this up I see we finally got around to giving up props for the pipes! Well done, Teeps
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

One of the things I brought home MCH, was that as you I've been here for only a year, I in no way consider my self an expert or a legend in HD. I'm just some guy that decided to buy a still and make my own spirits. And with HDs help I did. I want everybody that is new here realize that as long as you follow the protocols here, you can make good product! It is not a secret societie. Everyone can do it! Thanks to all before that made HD what it is today! :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :clap:
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Heh. Thanks, guys. :oops:
The gals enjoyed getting into the middle of it too. It was fun.
You ought to hear it when my daughters sing back up to my Before He Cheats. They love doing it and it really freaks out karaoke DJs. :ewink:

What was fun for me was watching Jimbo step into the middle of the featured band and delivering some blistering lead Blues licks. What a hoot!

tp (almost 60 actually)
midwest shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by midwest shinner »

Sorry I tried to post a pic of myself enjoying some of Shed's Eagle Mountain Whiskey which I picked up on our way home from the gathering along with a critique, but it said the photo file type was invalid. If I can figure out how to change that from my stupid phone iI'll get it posted. It is a great drop which I'll be savoring and saving for some special occasion. There were sooo many highlights and mind blowing moments at the gathering I sincerely don't know where to begin. What a bunch of sincere, kind, and interesting characters. I've never met a better bunch especially considering the differing lives and lifestyles we come from, truly amazing and very touching. And MCH the missus and I are very serious about moving to Pagosa, hopefully next spring. But if you're in or coming thru Chicago at any point before then make sure to PM me and we will get together for some drinks or whatever. Actually any of you find yourself in Chi, you best hit me up. I consider all y'all more than just "friends" at this point, I think this gathering proved that
There's whisky in the jar
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

midwest shinner wrote: I consider all y'all more than just "friends" at this point, I think this gathering proved that
:shock: We are? uh oh, what did we do? I know we got pretty sloshed most nights, but pretty sure Id remember 'more than friends' type activities. :wtf: :ebiggrin:
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
midwest shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Dammit Jimbo, I didn't realize til after posting that I set myself up with that. Thanks for pointing that out buddy :roll:
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

I would like to say thanks to the ladies'. My feisty but understanding wife, Renee, Debbie and Tracy. The pasta, steaks, ribs and get out of the kitchen were very appreciated by all. Thank you Tracy for cleaning up the way you did. And hanging out? The best. Nice to know that I am not the only one with an awesome better half.

Really can not say enough about the whole weekend.

With a couple of regrets. Not playing guitar with Jimbo more. I could throw out anything and he would have played with it. To be quite honest I was in awe of his ability and froze up. The guy knows his way around a guitar. That will not happen again.

And not making time for Brutal to tour the distillery. Had all but him there on Sunday and got swamped with work and let it slide. Sorry Bro.

Freakin great weekend. I would love to hold this in PS again. Hoping we start a huge movement. We would like to continue a night at our house but not every night. Have an option right now for a place that will sleep 24 and is close to town. 3 night minimum, $1,000.00 a night.
Could go a lot cheaper if we do so in the off season, aka mid May?
NgrainD
Bootlegger

Post by NgrainD »

At $42 a night per person, it really don't need to be much cheaper. Only problem I forsee is 24 ain't gonna be enough room. I'm pretty sure it's going to get a lot bigger after this year. Sounds like many of us are suffering in silent, agonizing jealousy as we read and see daily what we missed out on, out there, this very first S3 meeting ever, that we missed, and can never retrieve. :mrgreen: Dammit, how could I be so irresponsible as to not join this group sooner, and be prepared to meet the Booner. What took me so long? Dammit. :mrgreen:
Experience is something you gain shortly after you need it.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Thanks Steve, appreciate the kind words. Next to the long list of guitar players I aspire to play like tho Im a hack (check out Jake Cinninger with Umphries McGee, wow) Im just an earnest hobbyist with a true love for the craft. Sound familiar? :)

As far as arrangements for next time, Pagosa again is excellent. Next time I think Ill rent a small cabin for the family and make an extended stay out of it. There is so much to see and do, We love hiking and backpacking, hiking up to high country streams and lakes for some flyfishing, exploring Colorado. Bring some mountain bikes. Maybe make 2 weeks out of it and our summer vacation for the year. I joked with Shed about coming out with him when he climbs one day, only I'll bring a lawnchair and a 6 pack. ;) (I wasnt joking).

Life is good.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

If you set a date I can book one of the locations we have condo's, I believe Wood said it is about 3 miles from his distillery.
buflowing
Swill Maker

Post by buflowing »

Jimbo wrote:check out Jake Cinninger with Umphries McGee, wow
Wow is right. I know what I'm listening to this afternoon.
midwest shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Totally understandable Shed, I'm sure it was an especially long few days for you and the wife with all us drunken degenerates wandering around, taking up your beautiful space :wink: That place that sleeps 24 sounds like a great deal and I'm sure some would like to actually camp out too, I'd be fine with that, but not sure about wifey... but there is plenty of great camping space around Pagosa Springs area. I know I will never miss an opportunity to get to one of these gatherings if I can help it
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Reading about this great meeting brings back a lot of sweet memories of about a year ago, when I met MidWest, Windy and Jimbo and the wives. Man, I am not going to miss out on the next event!

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

A few more favorite pics that I can show. Soooo many great photos that cannot be shown here. Bummer.
Attachments
watchin Jimbo
watchin Jimbo
MS checking out my redwood mash rake. They are about the same age.
MS checking out my redwood mash rake. They are about the same age.
Toner Mtn. in the Piedra area
Toner Mtn. in the Piedra area
robb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by robb »

As this was a wet cold spring, my question is what is the normal weather like in May in Pagosa?
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

Normally stable with possible afternoon t storms. Not like what we saw this year.
I only mention May as that is the off season and rates are at their lowest. While the first week in July would be great rates and availability are at a premium.

June would be the best for weather and rates as a compromise. 2nd or 3rd week the best.
S3 is about all of us so your input is important.

My friends BigDoug and Rob offered up bedrooms for next year. Ya'll that were here know who I am talking about.
Rob offered up his riverside property to camping as well. It's a bit out of town but really nice.

S3 2016 is just a year away. Let's start planning and make this an even more amazing gathering than the first. If that is possible :think:

The crew at Wolfe Brewing are waiting for our return. Rockin event that sold a bunch of beer.
Thanks again for that Windy and everything else you did. Your amazing generosity, family, Tracy and those other hooligan's you brought with you went beyond and then some.

Midwest, we washed the remnants of T-Pee out of the bed upstairs so when ever you all decide to make the move just holler. :thumbup:

Jimbo and Windy, the beer was top notch. Kinda missing the taps on the back deck.
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

A few more
Attachments
Inside Woodshed
Inside Woodshed
Labeling old school
Labeling old school
The boiler sisters
The boiler sisters
I spend a lot of time at this bench
I spend a lot of time at this bench
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Oh shit, I need to get some sun on them white pegs.
woodshed wrote: My friends BigDoug and Rob offered up bedrooms for next year. Ya'll that were here know who I am talking about.
Rob offered up his riverside property to camping as well. It's a bit out of town but really nice.
BigDoug and Rob kick ass. Both are awesome. Tell Big Doug I said thanks for the burger stack, dog and fixens!! He offered to fix me up a Ribeye, it took ALL my willpower to decline. Great people.
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

The Busker is back. I like it.
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Do you think if I brought big Doug a kilt he'd wear it?
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

Looked pretty comfy to me. I can see Big Doug sportin a kilt working the grille.
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

We're not worthy
We're not worthy
Jimbo slayin Wolfe Brewery with Rewired Blues Band.
Jimbo slayin Wolfe Brewery with Rewired Blues Band.
Attachments
Bigbob's ribs. So good.
Bigbob's ribs. So good.
Steaks by Windy and bad ass Renee
Steaks by Windy and bad ass Renee
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

woodshed wrote:Midwest, we washed the remnants of T-Pee out of the bed upstairs so when ever you all decide to make the move just holler. :thumbup:
Hey! He occupied it after I did! Seemed damned comfy too when I was on my way out.

tp
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

Fair enough. Anyway, the sheets are clean when your ready MS.
Never had a classier, or wittier house guest than T-Pee. Pipes Yo, and knows his way around some breakfast.
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

Beakfast.
Beakfast.
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

Jimbo wrote:Thanks Steve, appreciate the kind words. Next to the long list of guitar players I aspire to play like tho Im a hack (check out Jake Cinninger with Umphries McGee, wow) Im just an earnest hobbyist with a true love for the craft. Sound familiar? :)

As far as arrangements for next time, Pagosa again is excellent. Next time I think Ill rent a small cabin for the family and make an extended stay out of it. There is so much to see and do, We love hiking and backpacking, hiking up to high country streams and lakes for some flyfishing, exploring Colorado. Bring some mountain bikes. Maybe make 2 weeks out of it and our summer vacation for the year. I joked with Shed about coming out with him when he climbs one day, only I'll bring a lawnchair and a 6 pack. ;) (I wasnt joking).

Life is good.

Don't forget the cold fried chicken. Kind of a tradition here when climbing. We always drink after but if you are "lawn chair Kinging it" the party starts when you sit down.