S3 2015 meeting defined

This forum is for posting announcements for upcoming meetings or events.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Forum rules
Members need to be aware that as all meetings and events are beyond the control of the administration team here and as such homedistiller and it administration and moderators are not responsible for any action and or occurrence at any meeting or event. Members choose to participate at their own risk and responsibility
For security reasons do not post personal information including names exact addresses,phone numbers and detailed itineraries, this sort of information can be communicated via private message, emails or by phone call
Jimbo
retired

Re: S3 meeting defined

Post by Jimbo »

Bigbob wrote:You could just pack more grease.......you had seven left.
+1.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

You've must of talked to him.... I'm not going any further! :wave:
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

Glad you made it home T-Pee.
Enjoyed your company and spirits.

varocketry brought a nice UJ. I have no baseline for a UJ but found the cuts to be tight(which really helps a sugarhead) and the aging to be satisfactory. In a brief span one evening I learned a lot about rocketry. Cool stuff.

Brutal's alt.S3 showed promise with time.

jedneck styled us with the deerlog and a fun collection. I really enjoy the Dirty bastard and was fortunate enough to have his bottles left here. The 9 grain scorch was there. Subtle though. If you got a bunch leave it on the wood for a spell.

MCH also had a Booner's that was really good.

Bigbob figured out the Honey shine riddle as his is most excellent with a cube.

HDNB and his Maple Syrup bottle would easily be top shelf in any establishment.
Vanilla butter nose, caramel and clean grain presence. Perfect toffee mouth feel. Touch of pepper. Freakin great bottle.

Jimbo brought the most diverse collection. None disappointed. Highlights to me were the Absinthe, the 303c and Bonfire.

As I type this I am sipping his 5 grain, his go to. NO element of this whiskey disappoints. Every grain has room to shine.
Gonna be hard to make this bottle last until next year. Fantastic sippin whiskey. I could go on but don't want to give Jimbo a big head :moresarcasm:
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

woodshed wrote: Gonna be hard to make this bottle last until next year.
Next year?....

S3 was impossible for me this year, but I wouldn't miss a 2nd annual for all the whiskey in the world!
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

bearriver wrote:
Next year?....

S3 was impossible for me this year, but I wouldn't miss a 2nd annual for all the whiskey in the world!
+1

I'm keeping it my pants until Christmas this year. Ain't risking another June expectant.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:
bearriver wrote:
Next year?....

+1

I'm keeping it my pants until Christmas this year. Ain't risking another June expectant.
hahaha thats good.

should start planing with hopes that i may be able to make it.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

I already started what I'm sending out next year. Its
51% malted corn
4% corn meal
19% white wheat malt
8% wheat
16% rye
Gonna age at ~62% on fresh char white oak and maybe a little cherry till it gets bottled to send out.
+ more deer log(s)
Last edited by jedneck on Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

Teeps, what's left of your idler bearing looks like its smiling at ya.
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:I'm keeping it my pants until Christmas this year. Ain't risking another June expectant.
Ha, that's pretty funny, S3 affects family planing! This is getting serious.

First weekend in June?
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Brutal wrote:Teeps, what's left of your idler bearing looks like its smiling at ya.
Kind of a "maybe next time" type of smile. :problem:

tp
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

T-Pee wrote:
Brutal wrote:Teeps, what's left of your idler bearing looks like its smiling at ya.
Kind of a "maybe next time" type of smile. :problem:

tp
hahaha that bearing smile has a little bit of a :wink: you must have had a nice steady eddy RPM going there to keep on rolling. buy a lottery ticket, luck comes in threes!

Woodshed, any success in that bottle is directly linked to Booner's corn, Jimbos single malt AG recipes and Moosemilk's encouragement to go AG (and Mcleans ex-bourbon barrel smoking wood ((done the T-Pee way)) and very fresh and fragrant inch of madagascar bourbon vanilla bean.) and kiwistillers guide to cuts.
and general discussion and reading on the boards...good job team!
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

First week in June sounds good to me. Dont remember with who now, but we discussed renting a large cabin next time, or maybe 2. 4+ bedrooms, split 4 ways each would be very reasonable. Holly and Steve were incredibly gracious, but I cant fathom taking over their house for the better part of a week again (Im sure they cant either LOL). Im good with doing this in Pagosa again, but if someone wants to throw out an alternative thats cool too. Ill be bringing wifey and one or more kids next time. Cheers!

We also had some discussion about an S3 recipe for next year. Shed, Windy and I talked about 'something smoked, using dark grains' Simple but open to so many variations with differnet types of smoked malts, heaps of available dark grains like roasted barley, black patent, chocolate malt, High L caramels, Special B bla bla bla. Could even roast your own, which is what I would likely do. I toast 2 row for a toasted blond pale ale thats really nice. Anyway, Jed, Brutal and maybe some others made some suggestions too. Maybe we should collect up the ideas and take a vote?
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Finger it out. I'm game. I like the dark smokey idear.
big help
Dunder
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

It would be great to keep it in Pagosa Springs as it is a beautiful venue. Shed told us he there were some great places we could rent (cabins,lodges etc) and with the qty of people dividing it out the cost would be very manageable. This was an unbelievably great event that I only see growing year after year. The generosity of Steve and Holly was unsurpassed :clap: but there were so many people that there was no way their home (or anybody's) could handle the sleeping arrangements. Steve kept saying how this was a historic event and I agree with him. I see this event only growing every year bringing home distillers from across the continent and maybe even the world together for comradery, knowledge and maybe even helping our cause of making this a legal hobby. I will offer my help in any way I can to help this grow and blossom.

As far as the S3 barrel we talked about a recipe/non recipe, more like a style that each individual could run with the way they see fit. Like Jimbo said the only two parameters would be using some form of dark or roasted grains and some form of smoke. We should put it to some form of a vote and Woodshed said he would tally.

Once again I'd like to say that was one of the greatest things I've done in my life. I will appreciate the friendships I've made for the rest of my life and cannot wait till we do it again. :clap: :clap: :clap:
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

I love those roasted malts, that's a great idea Jimbo. Time to shuffle off to a brew shop.

Was going to rent a motor home but I like the cabin idea MUCH better. Split like that should be very reasonable, especially if the place is paid for in advance. I'm sure Shed has opinions on which places are better than others. Pagosa Springs seems like the perfect venue.
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

This is great but, I'm not going to be able to make it unless it's the third week in June as my son will be graduating high school.( hopefully!). Also will have to get off my butt and learn about AGs.(I LIKE SWEET FEED!!!!!!). I've been reading S Cackalackys AG sweet feed post, maybe a smoked version.... :think:
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

I don't travel well, but would like to make some kind of spirit contribution next time around. I would also like to do it completely from scratch, so hope you don't make it too difficult.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Bigbob wrote:This is great but, I'm not going to be able to make it unless it's the third week in June as my son will be graduating high school.( hopefully!). Also will have to get off my butt and learn about AGs.(I LIKE SWEET FEED!!!!!!). I've been reading S Cackalackys AG sweet feed post, maybe a smoked version.... :think:
Bigbob, my opinion is you need to be there, really enjoyed your and Debbies company. So moving the date around for that is fine with me. 4th of July week is pretty good as many of us have a day or 2 off anyway. maybe we move this to 1st week of July?

Smoked AG sweetfeed is EXACTLY what my Bonfire is. Did you try that on the table Bigbob? Husker reviewed it here on HD in the Message in a Bottle thread too.
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

With all the bottles there I can't remember what I tried :crazy: . All I remember is that everything was pretty good! :thumbup:
Edit: thanks for the kind words Jimbo, enjoyed your company as well!
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

White oak smoked corn malt, dark toasted white wheat malt and a touch of rye. Yup sounds tastey.
big help
Dunder
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Damn Jed, that sounds delicious!

Im cookin right now, workin on filling a barrel of Triple smoke. This time I added some lbs of Black Patent, in case thats what we pick for S3. Will be adding some other dark roasted and toasted things too before this barrel is full :)

Triple smoke going on one cooker, A batch of Bohemian Pilsner beer on the other, makes for some busy shit in the shed. Gotta keep my wits, think Ill hold off on pourin a cold one at least until these babies are mashed up properly :)
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Just wondering - when you were all at the S3 meeting, did you address each other by your real names, or did you use your HD member names? I get this comical image of how it must have sounded when you were out in public.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

SC especially in the monkey masks :sarcasm:
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

S-Cackalacky wrote:Just wondering - when you were all at the S3 meeting, did you address each other by your real names, or did you use your HD member names? I get this comical image of how it must have sounded when you were out in public.
Yes...especially so for me.

tp
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Yep, the monkey with the toilet paper fetish.
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

What I couldn't figure out was how come everybody knew me! :moresarcasm:
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

It was the sandals that gave you away.

tp
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

S-Cackalacky wrote:Yep, the monkey with the toilet paper fetish.
To be honest, my username has little to do with my noted predication for bathroom humor although that does play a part. It's actually more my location.

No, Jimbo. it's not in Texas or Louisiana. :silent:

tp
Last edited by T-Pee on Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Awesome pics, looks like a nice place!. Never realized how many old farts there were here :ewink: :lol: .
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

T-Pee wrote:
S-Cackalacky wrote:Yep, the monkey with the toilet paper fetish.
To be honest, my username has little to do with my noted predication for bathroom humor although that does play a part. It's actually more my location.

No, Jimbo. it's not in Texas or Louisiana. :silent:

tp
What gave you away was your pipes. This mutherfornicator (TP) can sing!!! Pipes yo.