West by Northwest

This forum is for posting announcements for upcoming meetings or events.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Forum rules
Members need to be aware that as all meetings and events are beyond the control of the administration team here and as such homedistiller and it administration and moderators are not responsible for any action and or occurrence at any meeting or event. Members choose to participate at their own risk and responsibility
For security reasons do not post personal information including names exact addresses,phone numbers and detailed itineraries, this sort of information can be communicated via private message, emails or by phone call
Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

West by Northwest

Post by Hank Reardon »

Thinking of a healthy weekend at my place for those located west of the rockies, north of Weed, California, South of Seattle, and East of the Pacific. For those who are cranky, it is within a 6 hour drive according to my estimate. The estimate could be conservative or not. :)

May or June. Camping is a non-issue. I can provide power and water. I can also provide some homespun meals amongst other homespun things. The only pre-requisite is that attendees beat Croweaters moniker of Truckorama...and we beat the artwork on the tshirt. Folks from the west are a bit competitive... (Butch, no offense intended, as I am a proud wearer of the moniker and art).

Interest will drive the rest, as it will be a consumer driven event.
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: West by Northwest

Post by Badmotivator »

You have perked my ears, Hank. Sounds fun and I am getting low on shirts. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

A meet and greet I can drive to? I'm interested! :thumbup:
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Sounds like about 7-8 hours from my home but May is Shrimping season :wink:
Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hank Reardon »

I guess we will all have to figure our way through conflicts like shrimpin season. My calendar will be fairly well fixed by Mrs. Hank, and that will come to light in the next few months.

It could end up in anytime this coming summer based on her schedule and everyone else.
Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hank Reardon »

Here's what I need from folks:

1. Check your calendars and decide if this is something that works for you, or you are interested in.
2. decide what you want to see from an activity persepctive:Some suggestions....
- I'm thinking a steam injection demonstration with enzymash enzymes and with malt
- a cuts demonstration from a recent run from one of the reliable attendees (assuming i'm included in that group)
- taste testing between UJ, SF, Booners, and other grain bills for people to see what they want to accomplish
- Brandy making lessons from the NW fruit Gods, should they be so inclined
- a bonfire, some raised/hunted meat roasting, along with the possibles to complete the meal
- a farewell toast once the party ends.

I have land available for folks to camp privately...It will not be a weekend off of the interstate. It will be whatever you want it to be from that experience perspective. I would like a few of our midwest folks to head this way, along with our brethren from the South. If you travel 500+ miles, you can stay for 14 days for rest, and we can enjoy your company the entire time. It would by my honor.

In the meantime, I may start some turkeys, and will certainly start some chickens for a meat source, and am willing to teach folks any associated skills with processing a bird for food. I'm sure there are some urban folks who wonder how that gets done. We can share the experience on the board for folks so they understand how food is made, and how it gets to your plate. Doesn't hurt that I own a mechanical drum style plucker...can do many quickly.

The NW is sort of a rain-infested world. So, raingear is essential the year round. We will try to time this thing in order to most reduce the risk.

Lots of NW folks have yet to engage. Maybe we are all seeing where this goes.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

No offence taken , Hank . I agree with you . Every gathering should strive to outdo those previous .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

Thank you for the gracious invitation. Sounds very interesting. I think, for us anyway, that June would work out better if it were at all possible. Wife works for local school district, so timing is everything.
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
jus teasin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jus teasin »

It's not often you get an invitation like this.
I've often thought doing something like this would be interesting if not fun.
I would try to attend if it was late June or later.
I would be glad to help in any way if this works out.

Thanks JT
Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hank Reardon »

If folks from Wa, Or, Id, BC, Alberta, and NorCal want to weigh in on timing, that would be great. Note that this is closer to I-5 than I-15 by a long shot. Think view of the cascades south of hood.

June-July on a weekend. Probably too close to May at this point. Camping, water are relatively limitless, and power is avail too depending on how many folks can come.
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

With enough warning I'd be happy to carve out a weekend in late June or any of July.
Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hank Reardon »

Ok. Let's look for a few votes from June 10-july 15.

Any work for me, so it is up to the group. If you want closer coordinates, pls send a pm.
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

I'm flexible, but just to get us started, July 8,9.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Other than if I have a boating conflict I am currently open all days accept June 30th - July 7th.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I don't know if it will make a difference but it's likely that Proof will once again be around mid July since it was July 9th this past summer and something around that time the year before so there could be a potential conflict in that regard. I also don't know if the Wa group is having ideas about doing another BBQ next year around proof once again but I do think there was some mention of it.
Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hank Reardon »

cranky wrote:I don't know if it will make a difference but it's likely that Proof will once again be around mid July since it was July 9th this past summer and something around that time the year before so there could be a potential conflict in that regard. I also don't know if the Wa group is having ideas about doing another BBQ next year around proof once again but I do think there was some mention of it.
Doesn't appear that the date is scheduled for 2017 for Proof. Assuming it is a +\-7, we essentially lose July for the NW crowd, as seeing everyone is great, seeing everyone 2x in a month may be asking alot. :) Twice in two months is much more preferable... :roll:

August. I'm going to open with the 5-6.

Maybe a winter meeting to breakup the year a bit more...November?
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Hank Reardon wrote:
cranky wrote:I don't know if it will make a difference but it's likely that Proof will once again be around mid July since it was July 9th this past summer and something around that time the year before so there could be a potential conflict in that regard. I also don't know if the Wa group is having ideas about doing another BBQ next year around proof once again but I do think there was some mention of it.
Doesn't appear that the date is scheduled for 2017 for Proof. Assuming it is a +\-7, we essentially lose July for the NW crowd, as seeing everyone is great, seeing everyone 2x in a month may be asking alot. :) Twice in two months is much more preferable... :roll:

August. I'm going to open with the 5-6.

Maybe a winter meeting to breakup the year a bit more...November?
I was just putting it out there.
The Proof people tend to post a lot more info on their Facebook page but I'm banned from FB (long story :roll: ) and they won't even let me look anymore.
Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hank Reardon »

cranky wrote: I was just putting it out there.
The Proof people tend to post a lot more info on their Facebook page but I'm banned from FB (long story :roll: ) and they won't even let me look anymore.
You are clearly a sophisticate. I have never had, and will never have a Facebook. It is all beyond me.

I agree on Proof, as I've watched via the web, but not yet attended. Maybe this is my year. :)

I will step this shindig aside and pick a different time of year.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

I just heard that Proof Washington will be on Saturday July 8th this year.

OVZ
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Oldvine Zin wrote:I just heard that Proof Washington will be on Saturday July 8th this year.

OVZ
It's on my calendar, I will be at Hood Canal until the 7th. OVZ since Bearriver has not been around we should try to figure out a BBQ. I live 1.5 hrs from Seattle but maybe I can get the Penthouse at the Camalis in Downtown Seattle but parking would be a problem as it's valet only and I am not sure they have BBQ's.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

I'd love getting together with everyone.
All the more if we can coordinate a Panela group buy at the same time!!
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Bushman wrote: It's on my calendar, I will be at Hood Canal until the 7th. OVZ since Bearriver has not been around we should try to figure out a BBQ. I live 1.5 hrs from Seattle but maybe I can get the Penthouse at the Camalis in Downtown Seattle but parking would be a problem as it's valet only and I am not sure they have BBQ's.
I can arrange valet parking at the the warehouse :) and setting up some bbq's shouldn't be a problem - could be a fun after Proof event and not so far away from Fremont Studios.

OVZ
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Oldvine Zin wrote:
Bushman wrote: It's on my calendar, I will be at Hood Canal until the 7th. OVZ since Bearriver has not been around we should try to figure out a BBQ. I live 1.5 hrs from Seattle but maybe I can get the Penthouse at the Camalis in Downtown Seattle but parking would be a problem as it's valet only and I am not sure they have BBQ's.
I can arrange valet parking at the the warehouse :) and setting up some bbq's shouldn't be a problem - could be a fun after Proof event and not so far away from Fremont Studios.

OVZ
Sounds good to me!! Just got the notification on proof on July 8th, hope to make it!
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Post by The Booze Pipe »

I would be up for a PNW meet and greet weekend myself. Sorry for the late response...May through July would be good.
13.5g/50L keg boiler
copper pot still
modular 3" CCVM copper&stainless w/offset gin head
Grappa-Gringo
Swill Maker

Post by Grappa-Gringo »

I would love to meet up, but bringing homebrew south is too risky for me. A meet and greet would be great to put a name to a face.
GG
They say, "you are what you eat"... Then I'm fast, easy and cheap!
KingE
Novice

Post by KingE »

Wife and I will come schedule permitting for sure! Thank you!
Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hank Reardon »

I'm thinking we have some interest in and around Proof. July 7-9 is the timing.

Now, we need a location. The warehouse sounds good to me if it is still an option.

I'm many hours away from Seattle, think 8 depending on how bad things are through Seattle, Tacoma, and Portland. Anyway, it is an option if folks are traveling home that way...just out of the way for many.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I don't see why there can't be a get together in Nor Cal as well as proof as long as they aren't too closely spaced. After all the first BRBBQ was only a month after the first S-3. I haven't seen any California get togethers but it might be much easier for the Ca, NV, NM and many Oregon Members to get there rather than here.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

I just got my annual trip to Alaska for fishing date set and it turns out I'll be able to join festivities in July this year!
OVZ's warehouse BBQ sounds great, the NorCal trip would be an experience for sure!
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Hmmm.

tp