West by Northwest

This forum is for posting announcements for upcoming meetings or events.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Forum rules
Members need to be aware that as all meetings and events are beyond the control of the administration team here and as such homedistiller and it administration and moderators are not responsible for any action and or occurrence at any meeting or event. Members choose to participate at their own risk and responsibility
For security reasons do not post personal information including names exact addresses,phone numbers and detailed itineraries, this sort of information can be communicated via private message, emails or by phone call
KingE
Novice

Re: West by Northwest

Post by KingE »

Haha! We means my wife and I. We are generally allowed in respectable settings :D
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Howdy PNWers. Just checking in on plans for the August camp out at Hanks place.

But First, are any of you also going to PROOF on July 9th? I'm going and would love to meet any of you if you plan to be there. PM me if you want to coordinate a meetup there or possibly carpool up from the beaver state. I'll be driving up early that day and will likely be looking for a camp site to throw my sleeping bag for the night before driving home the next day. I bought my VIP pass already and am ready to learn. FYI. I'll be Rafting/camping up until two days before proof, so any replies I receive will likely not be answered until two days before Proof.

August Campout Education:
Early in the thread there was talk of some educational opportunities at Hanks place, but I did not see much feedback or decisions on what specifically we would cover. I wanted to follow up one this because some subjects may take time to prepare to cover. I realize these are all subjective topics, and they are just some suggestions. In the end, I will follow the herd.

Cuts
If CUTS make the list of subjects, always a popular subject, I want to bring a set of small jars from my next spirit run for evaluation. I personally would love to compare different recipes, so maybe someone else can also bring a set from one of their runs too. Mine would likely be an AG recipe, but I have not picked which one yet. I've done several good HBB runs recently, so maybe I will stick with that as I know I can reproduce it well. Hank, I'm just checking now so I'll have time to make and save something before August if it is needed. In your list of suggestions you did say jars from "a regular attendee", and that is not me, yet. If you have other plans, I'm cool with being told No Thanks. ;-)

Technical and Operations
I would love to nerd out with folks who make or modify their own equipment too, and learn how they run it for various needs. I spend a lot of time messing with things like getting the desired reflux ratio for compressing heads, ensuring reflux is being directed properly down my column, proper collection rates, efficiency, etc. This all varies by still and stiller, and I simply am interested in others' challenges, processes, solutions for their rigs, and to receive feedback on how I do things. I'd be happy to show how I operate and configure my VM still for various modes. Would love to hear how others run their rigs too, especially bigger or commercial sized rigs.

Aging
I've been learning to toast and char woods, and I also like experimenting with adding various ingredients to my jars for aging. I split most cut batches, especially first recipe attempts, into different jars to try different amounts of ingredients for aging. I would love to learn how some of the more experienced stillers approach aging/blending. Stuff like the type of ingredients, time, exposure to air, when to bottle, vaccuming/nuking, what does over oaking smell/tast like, etc. Also, how are folks documenting/tracking this stuff that can stretch out years. I've made my own forms for documenting fermentation, stilling, cuts, and aging. Could be considered overkill by some, but that's just how my brain works ( or doesn't work) and it helps me remember/learn from my experiments.

Politics - Repealing Prohibition.
Would love to discuss prohibition, and what people have done or can do to move the repeal of prohibition forward. May not be popular with all, but it interests me. Just throwing it out there.

I hope all of you are doing well and enjoying the early days of summer. I am really looking forward to meeting you folks soon. Cheers! Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

OtisT wrote:Howdy PNWers. I bought my VIP pass already and am ready to learn. Otis
One thing I learned from last years Proof is that most of the craft guys do lousy cuts ;-(

Sorry the guest room is filled but it you want to throw a bag in my yard you are welcome to do so

ovz
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I
OtisT wrote:PROOF on July 9th?
Isn't Proof July 8th?
OtisT wrote:I'll be driving up early that day and will likely be looking for a camp site to throw my sleeping bag for the night before driving home the next day.
Hope you you are not planning on driving back the day after Proof, You wouldn't want to miss the BBQ which I think is on the 9th, that is when you get to try the stuff everybody here makes :D
Oldvine Zin wrote:One thing I learned from last years Proof is that most of the craft guys do lousy cuts ;-(
That was something I found too. It takes a bit of research to find the ones worth trying. Make sure you try Heritage out of Gig Harbor, I hear they are pretty good. :D
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Oldvine Zin wrote:
OtisT wrote:Howdy PNWers. I bought my VIP pass already and am ready to learn. Otis
One thing I learned from last years Proof is that most of the craft guys do lousy cuts ;-(

Sorry the guest room is filled but it you want to throw a bag in my yard you are welcome to do so

ovz
Thanks OVZ. I may take you up on the yard, but I'm just as likely to throw my bag in the back of my van, as it's only one night. I'm not planning on driving after the event.

I was not aware until today that there was a BBQ the following day, so I'm likely going to hang around for that the next day. That's the real tasting event I'm looking forward to and I'll have to bring some of my humble products.

I agree on the varying quality of distilleries. I'm not that experienced yet I can tell some of what is at the show is crap. I tried a dozen whiskies and rums at the recent Edgfield distillery event. A few I liked, but many tasted like ethanol on oak. One had such a bad head taste I didn't finish it, and I like a bit of heads in my product. Many of their grain bills were the most basic, and few had a good story about why they made what they did or what they tried before they got to their signature product. It's as if many made the first basic recipe they tried and that all they know. Yawn! There were a few excellent distilleries there, which I will share on a later post.

My favorite fail at the event was the distiller who said his product was distilled 9 times and filtered 71 times. I think he was used to double takes from folks because when I asked "why" he got short and testy with me and said " that's just how we do it." I may be all wet and be talking out of my ass here, cause I don't know how the pros do it, but I would think anything that needs that much refinement must be some seriously bad shit to start with. I didn't even like the final product.

Anyway, yes I am excited about the show and looking forward to meeting you and other HD folks.

Cheers.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

cranky wrote:I
OtisT wrote:PROOF on July 9th?
Isn't Proof July 8th?
OtisT wrote:I'll be driving up early that day and will likely be looking for a camp site to throw my sleeping bag for the night before driving home the next day.
Hope you you are not planning on driving back the day after Proof, You wouldn't want to miss the BBQ which I think is on the 9th, that is when you get to try the stuff everybody here makes :D
Oldvine Zin wrote:One thing I learned from last years Proof is that most of the craft guys do lousy cuts ;-(
That was something I found too. It takes a bit of research to find the ones worth trying. Make sure you try Heritage out of Gig Harbor, I hear they are pretty good. :D
Cranky my you are correct, it is on the 8th. I've got rafting brain right now as I'm packing for my trip, and am not thinking straight. ;-)

Hell yes! I will stay Sunday for a BBQ. :-) I've got no details on it, so will play this by ear until I hear more. I'll bring something to share ( side dish and shine jar. ). I'll look for more info on this to see if there is anything specific I should bring.

Thanks for the recommendation. I will check out Heratige. I'll be reviewing the distilleries list and picking the ones I want to focus on. I'll probably focus on whiskies and rums again, the two things I have enjoyed making recently. I like my fancy sweet drinks too, but to me they just are not as interesting.

Thanks Cranky. Hope to meet you next week. Otis.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

OtisT wrote:Thanks Cranky. Hope to meet you next week.
Your welcome but unfortunately I will not be making it this year, I can't get off work :cry: Now that I know how Proof works and that there will be a map in the VIP bag I would like to go and attack it in an organized fashion.
I'm not sure who is running the BBQ this year either, or exactly where it will be, Maybe OVZ does, or PM Nerdy, or just ask when you meet up at Proof. The last 2 years we did it at Bearriver's but he is MIA and since I can't go I haven't kept up with the details. I think last year someone missed the BBQ because he didn't get the word so I would recommend that somebody asks everybody who attends proof if they will be going to the BBQ.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

I'm here saying "I don't know".
There, that's official.
Oldvine Zin?
You were mentioning the welcome for folks to throw a sleeping bag down in your yard, are you hosting the BBQ?
If so I'll bring fish!
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

I don't know either but if no one steps up to the plate i could do something small at the warehouse.

OVZ
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

OR let's just do it!! PM me for details

OVZ
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Post by The Booze Pipe »

I'm still interested in Hank's get together. But i haven't received any details yet.
13.5g/50L keg boiler
copper pot still
modular 3" CCVM copper&stainless w/offset gin head
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

The Booze Pipe wrote:I'm still interested in Hank's get together. But i haven't received any details yet.
Me too (Interested in attending). This reminds me, I need to start a new ferment for this. :-)

We are way behind the east coast folks. They even have a darn T-Shirt for their get together. So envious! ;-)
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Hi all. Is this gonna happen next week? I'm still hoping yes, though the lack of chatter tells me it's not happening.

Hope you all are well and enjoying the heat. Been so hot I didn't need to insulate my last ferment. ;-)
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Sorry this did not happen. The thread went dark so I'm hoping Hank is OK.

I was looking forward to meeting folks this weekend. Maybe next time. Hope you all are well.

Otis
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Next time is next month, pack a bag and head east!
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:Next time is next month, pack a bag and head east!
Thanks, but I can't swing that. Single father, and school starts in three weeks. Will have to wait for something a bit closer to home. would love to come back east though. Maybe next summer. :-)
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Post by The Booze Pipe »

Hoping everything is good with Hank as well!
I'm thinking about organizing a get together. Ideally, I'd like to start a club that meets more often than once a year, so we can learn from each other in person, swapping ideas and tools/tricks of the trade.
I'll probably start a new thread for it. Any ideas or thoughts?
13.5g/50L keg boiler
copper pot still
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

I would be interested. Biannual PNW Home Distillers Masked Ball? :)

Start the thread, post a link here.
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Post by The Booze Pipe »

Okay, I'm rolling out a new idea for a stiller's club. Check it out at http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 91&t=67454
13.5g/50L keg boiler
copper pot still