S3:18 - Suburbia Edition

This forum is for posting announcements for upcoming meetings or events.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Forum rules
Members need to be aware that as all meetings and events are beyond the control of the administration team here and as such homedistiller and it administration and moderators are not responsible for any action and or occurrence at any meeting or event. Members choose to participate at their own risk and responsibility
For security reasons do not post personal information including names exact addresses,phone numbers and detailed itineraries, this sort of information can be communicated via private message, emails or by phone call
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Re: S3:18 - Suburbia Edition

Post by distiller_dresden »

That gumbo tasted amazing, and the boudain (sp?) was delicious, so good I ate it even though it crossed my heat threshold after one bite, that is saying something that I kept eating with my mouth afire!

HDNB you jest, but I am quite envious of your weather, I freaking LOVE snow and LOVE cold weather. Yesterday in PA it was all of about 60 and I was happy as a pig in a sty, today it's done got warm again and as we drove back to IN the temp climbed to 70 and the sun was shining I couldn't help but feel my mood darken. I WANT the overcast wonderful fall skies and chilly, gusting, cool fall weather, leading into a nice cold and snowy winter, the best season is fall, followed by winter, as I see it. Then you go t spring, which is pretty because it's a waking up; but lately all we get is "HI SUMMER" for 8 months or so then a rainy cool summer. Damn weather is f'ed up from when I was a kid growing up in the Chicago area.

The party was amazing and the company was wonderful, we couldn't have felt more welcome, nor had better spirits on offer.

My particular favorite, and my dad's, was ShineOn's caramelapple (mead?), and then I really loved shineoncrazydiamond's (I think?) COB (corn oats barley) with toasted oats and that gave it a toasted marshmallow flavor that was wonderful, and SOCD it didn't need any more oak, that would kill the marshmallow flavor! Sell that recipe!
I read, I write, I still.
The must interstitial man no Earth.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
panikry83
Swill Maker

Post by panikry83 »

Well ladies and gentlemen another ones in the books. Thank you all for venturing to my home and partying with me for the weekend. Thanks to SCD for helping with everything from start to finish. The people on these forums have been a very welcome addition to my life and Im glad to call all of you friends. Those who couldn't make it were sorely missed. Special thanks to BayouShiner for the wonderful food and drinks you're as generous as they come friend. I love HD and I've said it before

You're the best group of criminals you can hope to meet
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

distiller_dresden wrote:Hey Detroit, that's too bad -- but silver lining, my dad and I typically go to northern Michigan, Traverse City, around the end of October for a fall vacation each year. Maybe we could swing by for an afternoon meet up and share company with you? Otherwise maybe given our relative proximity maybe we could just plan our own meet as I think we'd already discussed for people in this region, and then you'll have that chance! Maybe I can even see if ShineOn would send along some of his best children for the event so he'd be present in 'spirit'?
I live fairly close to Detriot I have been to his place, I also have a second home in northern mi about an hour or so from TC so if you guys plan a small meet let me know and I will join in the fun, be nice to meet some folks
When the student is ready the teacher will emerge.

Flute Journey viewtopic.php?f=17&t=69736
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Where the fuck do I start ? This was such a great weekend ! This is going to get so longwinded . Prolly I'll make several posts on this .
First off , our concerted efforts pried Jed out of his holler . And , even though he enjoyed the party , Everywhere he loke off that deck there was nothing but more people and houses . He felt so crowed that he actually pissed in the house instead of marking Rye's trees or my tires . The 'Deer in the headlight look ' kept expanding .
When we loaded in the rv this morning his words to me were ,'Home , James ! AND DON'T SPARE THE HORSEPOWER !'. And that's what I did .
The closer we got to his beloved holler , the more his eyes returned to 'Normal Crazy' .
We had to make a fuel stop and that gave me an opportunity to run mileage figures . SOH's records were spotty , at best , and the rv had lots of idle time fuel event to fuel event . Overall mpg reflected 10.2 mpg over 442 miles .
From fuel stop to getting Jed home and getting to my fuel stop 3 miles from home was 225 miles with me using fuel conserving techniques like the cruise control . 15.21 mpg out of that boat assed bitch over the Appalachian's worst and I-68 . Speed limits +2 on cruise .
With a little help from you guys we might pry Jed out for another party .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Everybody missed the Speaker Of my House (SOH). And prolly me the most. Hurricane Florence disrupted many folks travel plans to the point that she had to host folks that should have been here a week earlier .
One of those folks was a little bitty 92 year old LADY that has traveled the world and went zip lining in Columbia last year .
After a tour of the farm in the sxs she got served some of BayouShine's Amaretto .
She declared it the best that she has had in all her worldly travels ........ The 'Voice Of Experience' ..............
Thank you , Sir , for your contributions to a party where you were sorely missed . Hope to visit with you in the spring . TB
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

distillerd_dresden and his Daddy are now signed members on The Bench . As is ShineOn . Credits to our craft and welcome members .
Do you suppose that if we can't pry Flatwoods out of that GA coast that if I carried The Bench down to him that we could accept him as an honorary member ? He's contributed lots , but we just can't pry him out of those coastal marshes .
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Truckinbutch wrote:distillerd_dresden and his Daddy are now signed members on The Bench . As is ShineOn . Credits to our craft and welcome members .
Do you suppose that if we can't pry Flatwoods out of that GA coast that if I carried The Bench down to him that we could accept him as an honorary member ? He's contributed lots , but we just can't pry him out of those coastal marshes .
Hey TB ya think we could get a photo of the butt-kissin' part of that bench for all to admire the history contained therein?

Can't say as the last time I saw Daddy Dresden lit, well it was when he let me go an' make a decidedly mixed mistake with good an' bad, when I was married back in '08. Not much of a drop since, other than to sample a taste o' mine, and it was fun to see him unwind. Next time y'all need to hold him down and help me get the damn keys though, because I tried everything I could including when we were underway and he hurked dry and had to pull over. Still wouldn't let me finagle the damn vehicle, all evidence to the contrary. Next time I get the keys at the beginning.

It was a blast and we're honored to be inducted into this hallowed brotherhood!

I forgot my damn banana bread. So now we got 6 loaves to eat through...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Hell, I got home to a single bowl of shrimp sauce picante out of 4 gallons.
Next time I put in the truck the night before to cool:)
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Was good to see old friends and meet new. Yes I dont like leavin home hollar. Didnt piss on the 6 trees or TB’s tires (didnt wanna piss the taxi driver off.) But did water the grass :sarcasm:
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

Glad to hear everybody enjoyed what I sent up.

It sucks that I couldn't make it there in person. Hopefully, I'll be able to make the next one.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

BayouShine wrote:Glad to hear everybody enjoyed what I sent up.

It sucks that I couldn't make it there in person. Hopefully, I'll be able to make the next one.
Yea , Buddy ! I was able to bait Jed out of the holler once . Gonna try to bait him out in the spring for a fishin trip . That's gonna take some serious negotiation skills . If I can make that happen we will be fishin in LA marshes with a favorite Captain .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Hey TB ya think we could get a photo of the butt-kissin' part of that bench for all to admire the history contained therein?
d_d :
I'm gonna try to figger out how to do that very thing . Those random pieces of wood have acquired a history of their own and deserve to be seen . Lotta great memories and solid friendships been built on that bench .
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Gonna take some damned good bait to get me outta the holler in spring, tis still my buzy time
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
panikry83
Swill Maker

Post by panikry83 »

Wife appreciates everyone taking care to keep our house standin'. Also for dealing with me when I get so OCD.
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

Poitin, I can't believe you still have that! Excellent!

Bayou, the boudin was phenomenal, I love it. Also, your amaretto is the only thing I've ever added to nitro cold brew coffee that has made it better. I don't use cream or sugar, but I'd be happy to pour a shot of that amaretto in every cup I drank for the rest of my life... if that was possible. I'm sorry you weren't able to make it up, but very thankful you graced all of us with your gifts!

It was great to meet shineon and dresden, and have the honor to bring home some of your spirits so my wife gets to have a little tasting of her own. Thank you guys! I'll be enjoying those tonight while I finish the second half of my second cigar from HNDB. I really like those cigars! Dresden, I hope your dad had a good time!

I'll be brewing up a bourbon very soon so I can get back in the game. You folks showing up with cases of bottles are lapping me at this point, I'm so far behind. It's like everyone else is taking a page from michigancornhusker's book, rolling up with full cases of liquor.

It was awesome to see everyone again, and my utmost thanks to panikry for letting all of us loose on his home! Other than a picture frame or two, and maybe some drinking glasses, I don't think we had too many casualties. I hope you like the two beers I left, they're new england ipa's from some local breweries.

And just so everyone can rest easy, I'm taking very good care of the remainder of Butch's Baked Beans!
Life member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

http://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Regarding the beans ; don't eat them and then fart in the house . Tends to upset spouses .
panikry83
Swill Maker

Post by panikry83 »

RandyMarshCT wrote:I hope you like the two beers I left, they're new england ipa's from some local breweries.
I just found them last night before dinner time, both fantastic!. That Cervesa La Pirata was incredible! I'm envious that you live so close to so many awesome breweries. Those hazy, grapefruit bomb IPAs are my absolute favorite. Thanks for that surprise.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Hey guys, was it shineoncrazydiamond who made the COB with toasted oats and it was smooth and oaked and had a taste of toasted marshmallow? What were the specific amounts in %s of corn/oats/barley, and what % of the oats were toasted to give that flavor?

Have a buddy planning a single malt oat with oats and malted oats, I have been telling him about that and he is wondering if he should toast the regular oats or malted oats, and how much? He makes his own malts, so he has pretty much unlimited on hand. Figuring a single malt oat with that toasted marshmallow flavor would be divinity.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Yes, it was me. Been brutal this week at work, and I am joined this weekend. Ive been meaning to post that recipe for a couple years now. I will do as soon as I can. I had a couple request this week for that.

Also, your mixing up my 2 bourbons. The toasted marshmallow is CROW bourbon. Corn, rye, oats, wheat. The small bottle that was only a few months old and needed time, imo, was my Single Malt COB. That was equal parts malted corn, malted oats, and malted barley.

I'll post the crow up soon as I can.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
distiller_dresden
Trainee

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:Yes, it was me. Been brutal this week at work, and I am joined this weekend. Ive been meaning to post that recipe for a couple years now. I will do as soon as I can. I had a couple request this week for that.

Also, your mixing up my 2 bourbons. The toasted marshmallow is CROW bourbon. Corn, rye, oats, wheat. The small bottle that was only a few months old and needed time, imo, was my Single Malt COB. That was equal parts malted corn, malted oats, and malted barley.

Hey broski, where's that recipe? My buddy is prepping the mash-in and has all his oats and oat malt...
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

distiller_dresden wrote:
ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:Yes, it was me. Been brutal this week at work, and I am joined this weekend. Ive been meaning to post that recipe for a couple years now. I will do as soon as I can. I had a couple request this week for that.

Hey broski, where's that recipe? My buddy is prepping the mash-in and has all his oats and oat malt...

Done.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=72468#p7541897
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Was great to chat with y'all there, sept poor rager that had retired injuried :lol:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Great to chat with you as well . Brought back memories . You would have enjoyed the group .
distiller_dresden
Trainee

thecroweater wrote:Was great to chat with y'all there, sept poor rager that had retired injuried :lol:
It was cool talking with you crow, a surprise, I'm glad I was 'aware' who I was getting on the phone with lol
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Hey how the hell have you guys all been?! I've been a little busy and distracted what with holidays, my posting slowed down somewhat but if you've seen my cherry vanilla rum thread you see I've picked up my normal pace again, and have lots of plans!

I got 5 gallons of rum aging in a barrel I picked up in PA that was used once for a whisky from Blackbird Distilleries there. Took about 3 months to make enough rum with my 5 gal still lol, filling it felt so great, like an accomplishment AND like I picked up a big, expensive 2 year CD.

Anyone thinking yet about this year? What's new(s)??
Love you all!