S3:18 - Suburbia Edition

This forum is for posting announcements for upcoming meetings or events.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Forum rules
Members need to be aware that as all meetings and events are beyond the control of the administration team here and as such homedistiller and it administration and moderators are not responsible for any action and or occurrence at any meeting or event. Members choose to participate at their own risk and responsibility
For security reasons do not post personal information including names exact addresses,phone numbers and detailed itineraries, this sort of information can be communicated via private message, emails or by phone call
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: S3:18 - Suburbia Edition

Post by Truckinbutch »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:You bitching about getting bitched at for drinking, even before that jar has been filled, let alone emptied. :shock:

Don't you worry, my hog is hanging next to yours. We both got to be right.
I ain't bitchin . It's just that SOH is apprehensive .
You guys have only seen me when I've been the host and had to be the 'responsible adult' . I ain't always been that well behaved .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Well, now, you just go on and remind that lovely soul of yours that if she recalls, you ain't always been the host. In fact, the only reason she let you host the first time was because of the fine company and behavior she encountered when you were guest at your first Jed fest.

Ain't nothing changed except the same fine people are a couple years farther in their journey, and a little more invested in the friendships that were made then. :thumbup:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:Well, now, you just go on and remind that lovely soul of yours that if she recalls, you ain't always been the host. In fact, the only reason she let you host the first time was because of the fine company and behavior she encountered when you were guest at your first Jed fest.

Ain't nothing changed except the same fine people are a couple years farther in their journey, and a little more invested in the friendships that were made then. :thumbup:
Well now, and don't you have a fine way with words.

Geoff
The Baker
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Post by distiller_dresden »

He's bona-fide
I read, I write, I still.
The must interstitial man no Earth.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Just in case anyone thought I was being sarcastic or something, my comment was pure admiration.

Geoff
The Baker
distiller_dresden
Trainee

I was being a movie nerd and class clown and not having fun at anyone's expense
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

distiller_dresden wrote:I was being a movie nerd and class clown and not having fun at anyone's expense
No worries.

Geoff

P. S. Used to be the class clown myself. G.
The Baker
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:Well, now, you just go on and remind that lovely soul of yours that if she recalls, you ain't always been the host. In fact, the only reason she let you host the first time was because of the fine company and behavior she encountered when you were guest at your first Jed fest.

A very valid point . A great group of folks have bonded at these gatherings and all behaved well . My point is that she knows me well from 30+ years . Her fear is if I get in the likker all unattended I'll turn into Eastwood in 'The Unforgiven' .
I doubt that , but she does have valid reservations .
We're going forward with the motor home and Jed should have gotten a hog check today or tomorrow .
If it's not complete by the time the hog is it will be a down and back , same day , trip .
FYI , Down And Back is not a typo . I live along one of the only major rivers in the world that flows north . Down river is north and upriver is south .
We'll do everything we can do to make the hog trip and S318 happen .
Who's in charge of t-shirts for this year ? We almost didn't have any last year .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Oh if t-shirts are a thing that's neat! If possible I'd like to say ahead of time, I'm a really big dude, I'll probably need like a 4-5XT if it's possible. I know they always cost extra.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I've not seen it mentioned as of yet, if nothing else I can start getting a few designs put together and take some ideas of what should be on them.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

" 'Tickle'd to be here, the real still masters of 'Merica S3 2018"

"Whisky you were here S3 2018"

"Go home, you're drunk. S3 2018"

"S3 2018: Drinking is the only thing TO do"

"Take as long as you want on that wood; S3 2018"
panikry83
Swill Maker

Post by panikry83 »

SCD and I were talking about the shirts the other day - I don't have any ins with t-short makers so, if anyone want to take it upon themselves to get that moving - go for it. I like simple designs.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Another question ? Do I bring along 'The Liar's Bench' and a wood burner or leave it home ?
distiller_dresden
Trainee

What is that TB?
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

distiller_dresden wrote:What is that TB?
Do your homework , 'Grasshopper' .
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

panikry83 wrote:SCD and I were talking about the shirts the other day - I don't have any ins with t-short makers so, if anyone want to take it upon themselves to get that moving - go for it. I like simple designs.
dunno what ya want want for a picture-here's a tag line for ya.

S3:18
Still in
The 'burbs
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

How about

S3:18
Stillin'
The 'burbs

Reading about 2017; this gon' be one hell of a party, and I'll have catching up to do! Actually glad I've been active since January, and that I'll have my still buddy with me, he'll help out with familiarity in person, until the liquor gets rolling. Then he'll help (hopefully lol) keep me in check.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Are these parties still (no pun intended ) invitation only ?
As I understand it ; directions were only PMed to those that had invitations .
distiller_dresden
Trainee

I've spoke with panikry83 over PM about attending TB

In case anyone is wondering who hasn't read any of my posts, or if TB doesn't recall, my 'buddy' is my dad who I live with, help keep his type 2 under control and have him eat better (than I do b/c I'm dumb I guess, and love him more than I do myself too?), and I just can't bring myself to do a setup without him.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I've talked in pm as well but haven't gotten any directions or other wise. No worries as it's still early but I'M IN!!!

I like simple too and will draw a few designs up for reactions and I like the Still in the burbs deal.

After my chores I'll draw a couple and post here. I'll also check with the shirt shop on a few things.

I'll need somewhat of a head count to give them so someone please let me know asap.
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

Truckinbutch wrote:Another question ? Do I bring along 'The Liar's Bench' and a wood burner or leave it home ?
You best bring that with you. How are we gonna tell good lies without the bench?
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Per ShineOn - is someone 'nominated' or unofficially or otherwise officially in charge of these things, like finding a head count, even if it's loose at the moment?

I'm unemployed at the moment, and as I'm new kid on the block, I can be hangin' tough out here in IN and start doing stuff like making a head count, or other things needed if anybody wants me to...
panikry83
Swill Maker

Post by panikry83 »

So far I've got 10-12 ppl who said yes that's pretty much what I was planning for anyway I can have a few more but that's getting crowded for sleeping arrangements I haven't sent directions just yet-that will happen in a bit in at work atm but ill get an email to everyone later today
distiller_dresden
Trainee

My gen 1 cornflakes whisky is done and it's smooth as hell, but not much character, it's just very very clean, slightly sweet, oak, hints of vanilla, cornflake nose.

Gen 2 is just now aging on oak, and it is much much better even white, I am EXCITED about it because somehow somewhere it picked up 'sweetness' and 'vanilla' with no added vanilla or sweet things out of the still. By the time September rolls around I'll have gen 3 and gen 4, as well as 3 more generations of rum, and whatever else I get up to be then; I'm honestly going to have to make some hard decisions about what exactly I should bring to the party. Hoping to do some trading though, so I hope others will want to as well, or something.

I really want to try some of the apple brandy aged or other things I'm not eased into yet because I'm working a learning on one thing at a time until I feel I know it at least intermediate, then moving to the next.
panikry83
Swill Maker

Post by panikry83 »

Truckinbutch wrote:Another question ? Do I bring along 'The Liar's Bench' and a wood burner or leave it home ?
I definitely would
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Everyone is obviously bringing their finest creations. I'd like to ask, if it wasn't already under consideration, that they bring any 'extra' supplies they might have so we might set up a shine swap. However that will/would work could be determined on location, there are just two real possibilities and one doesn't bear mentioning in a public space, the other is an 'exchange' format'. I will bring along an unopened/new flat or two of 8oz mason jars so that however it might be accomplished, we would have the smaller vessels for which to make a decent swap yet small enough that there is enough for others to also partake in the exchangin'.

As I'm also coming a long distance I won't be contributing a 'hot' dish, but I think what I'm settling on is several loaves (one large ass batch) of my legendary banana rum bread, and my chocolate chip walnut pecan cookies.

Does anybody have nut allergies? There are walnuts and pecans in my bread as well, however I can exclude them in a portion of cookies as well as a couple/few loaves of bread should anyone be allergic? Please chime in so that I don't kill anybody, because I'd like everyone to be able to be physically able to try what I contribute.

I'm also working on a hazelnut rum recipe...
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

Speaking of menus and all...

What do you guys want to munch on from cajun land this year?
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Something corn maque choux, maque choux is my JAM man, I LOVE the sweet/salty combination with a touch of heat. I don't know how everyone else is, but I am a bitch when it comes to heat, my heat of choice is Frank's Red Hot. That'll probably be unpopular. But I also love food (way too much) and will try anything.
panikry83
Swill Maker

Post by panikry83 »

BayouShine wrote:Speaking of menus and all...

What do you guys want to munch on from cajun land this year?
That gumbo was pretty amazing, last year.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

I had a friend from Louisiana who used to want to start a business making 'snowballs' and would never tell me exactly what they were. I had an idea they were some kind of frozen dessert; what's a snowball? I'm not saying to make or bring them, but it occurred you might be able to reveal this ancient mystery for me. What the hell is a snowball?