visiting a London distillery

This forum is for posting announcements for upcoming meetings or events.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Forum rules
Members need to be aware that as all meetings and events are beyond the control of the administration team here and as such homedistiller and it administration and moderators are not responsible for any action and or occurrence at any meeting or event. Members choose to participate at their own risk and responsibility
For security reasons do not post personal information including names exact addresses,phone numbers and detailed itineraries, this sort of information can be communicated via private message, emails or by phone call
Fredistiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

visiting a London distillery

Post by Fredistiller »

Hi everyone,

Next week I'll go for a 5 day trip to London with my beloved one. In the weekend we'll be dancing at the bachata festival. Bachata dancing is a common passion. But I would like to combine the trip with my other passion: distilling.

And so visiting a distillery is scheduled! but wich one? Beefeater "the big commercial one", or a smaller one like Sipsmith, bimber or Jensen's? Any advise?

Thanks!

And for people who wonder what on hearth is bachata:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hMA6j3-RFI
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Re: visiting a London distillery

Post by bluefish_dist »

We visited London last fall and visited half hitch along with beefeater. We found that gin distillers have rectifiers licenses not manufacturing licenses and do not make any of the base spirits. This includes beefeater. Because of this you only get to see the stills.

I would visit half hitch at Camden locks again. Was a small place, Not the production facility, but set up to make your own gin. If I had the time I would have done that. They do let you take what you make home.

Beefeater is interesting for the still as they have some huge column stills that they used to use for stripping/preparing the spirits. The gin stills are decent sized pot stills. Overall you realize how few people it takes to run the distillery. I think they said they have 6 people who run it. They don't make the base spirit and they don't do bottling. Also a bit out of the way to get to.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Fredistiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fredistiller »

Thanks for the reply! I contacted half hitch and will visit them, as well as beefeater because we rent an airbnb next to it....I am curious.
frost021
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frost021 »

another place you may want to visit is portobello Gin hotel I have never been there but meet Jake here in Canada while at the spirited away festival and he has a wealth of info when it comes to Gin
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

https://www.58gin.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow might be worth a visit...
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
Fredistiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fredistiller »

Thanks everyone for the replies!

We visited Beefeater and Halfhitch. The first one is a big distillery of a big compagny, you can tell. You visit first a museum for about 25 min! So it is huge...and their product: mainstream. Half hitch is run by a a passionate guy, he have stars in his eyes when he talks about his still and product! So it is small...and his product: awsome. Conclusion: small is beautiful :D

( and visiting two distilleries was more than enough for my beloved one :ebiggrin: )