Anybody live in or around Indiana?

This forum is for posting announcements for upcoming meetings or events.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Forum rules
Members need to be aware that as all meetings and events are beyond the control of the administration team here and as such homedistiller and it administration and moderators are not responsible for any action and or occurrence at any meeting or event. Members choose to participate at their own risk and responsibility
For security reasons do not post personal information including names exact addresses,phone numbers and detailed itineraries, this sort of information can be communicated via private message, emails or by phone call
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Re: Anybody live in or around Indiana?

Post by Irishgnome »

X5060,

The best source as far as pricing goes is ebay, at least for the smaller casks. Just be careful because a number of them say that they are not for aging, which makes me question if the inside is coated with something.

I purchased two myself and changed out the seals with PTFE sheets that I cut to size. Make sure you toss any plastic or silicon seals in the trash.

I have two local sources for full size barrels (53 gallon), which I would only use as a display piece. If I found one for a really good price, I may consider cutting it up and using the chips to age.

One source would be local distilleries, send out emails asking for 5 gallon barrels. Five gallon barrels are the smallest you will find a distillery using. Make sure to put your name on the waitlist if they have any!

Welcome to the forum!

Cheers,
Irish
"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it."
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

x5060 wrote:Does anyone have a good source for smaller oak barrels? (1L, 2L, 3L, 5L)
Here’s a good thread for you: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=41494

But for me, anything smaller than 5 liters, I’d age in glass with wood stave chunks added. Otherwise the surface area to volume ratio goes too high and you’ll lose a lot of product to the angels.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Post by distiller_dresden »

x5060 wrote:Hi Guys,

I am around central Indiana and just getting into distilling. I am working on a basic Pot Still using a 5 gallon stainless pot, some copper utility tubing, some clamps, a 5 gallon bucket and some silicone sealant.

It's good to see there are some more experienced people around the state.

Does anyone have a good source for smaller oak barrels? (1L, 2L, 3L, 5L)
Hey x5, I would look into some BadMo barrels, made by our own BadMotivator. They are a stainless steel barrel with an oak face, and their surface to volume area for 6L (about gal and half) is near equivalent to a full size barrel (55 gal) full of spirits. Their angel's share is similar as well, and you can get them toasted or charred. I have 2 and I am wanting several more. They're the bees knees! lol

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60032
I read, I write, I still.
The must interstitial man no Earth.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

X5060,

Good video to watch on smaller barrels:
https://youtu.be/HgKD6hA-_5c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Cheers,
Irish
"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it."
Mack10
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mack10 »

I should have enough HBB to fill my "fresh" 5 gal Balcones barrel next week after cuts of the last run. Hopefully didn't make barrel cuts too wide. I read here WAY too much :crazy:

Also working on another recipe but swapped a couple of ingredients from the HBB recipe...we shall see if it is worthy after it comes off oak. Starting the first batch on Stavin medium plus toast beans, then hopefully finishing it all on the once used 5 gal barrels I am waiting for.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

I ain't from Indiana but I know of a guy who is that is happy to talk shop. He's the master distiller for Spirits of French Lick in West Baden. Alan is his name... Swing by the distillery,take the tour and Introduce yourself.
Try the apple brandy while your there.
He also happens to be the writer of the alchemist cabinet blog which is awesome too.
Jb
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

Hey gang,

Was just looking over the S3:18 thread. Wishing I had made it. Seeing that Dresden and BigStogie are looking to get together. And thinking that I would post a thread for a Midwest Contingent... then I saw this. I know there are a few of us in SE Michigan, and I'm sure there are several I don't know of. I think we should organize a gathering. I'm going to open Midwest Contingent thread, not to detract from this one, but to try to draw in others in the "neighborhood" who may not look for the Indiana thread.

Also, I saw Irish looking for a group buy/split on some M-1 yeast (Erin Go Bragh!). I haven't tried my hand at whiskeys yet, so I don't know the significance of that yeast, but I do love the rum. I reached out to SugarDaddy a while back, and was thinking to organize a panela group buy. Maybe others in the neighborhood would be interested?

Cheers!
DetroitDIY
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

Detroit, I like where you're going on the regional meet as well as the panela. I'm just a couple hours West on 94 from ya
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

Yep. A little bird told me what town you're in Loki. Was thinking of you when I was still thinking of going to S3:18. But then I saw that you ended up passing as well (after I'de already decided it was too much for me).

Have you done much with Panela? Me just a little, but I'm game for more and can't beat SugarDaddy's price when bought in bulk.
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

I would get in the panela but I have been wanting some to try, I just got back from a little trip down 94 to pick up 6 plastic barrels for fernentors and grain storage 32 and 18 gallon, I also just got some yeast from Ferm solutions a whiskey rum yeast I think 500 grams was about $14 they supply quit a few distillery’s and have enzymes too
When the student is ready the teacher will emerge.

Flute Journey viewtopic.php?f=17&t=69736
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

We've done a few panella buys here in the PNW from Sugar Daddy. The quality is excellent and if you order 1000lbs or more the price can't be beat. :thumbup: :thumbup: for Sugar Daddy

OVZ
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

Detroit, let me know if you make it out this way anytime. I haven't done anything with panela or any sort of rum yet. I figure getting a couple hundred lbs of sugar daddy sweetness should fix that haha.
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

You bet Loki. Next time I'm planing to be in the area solo, I'll be sure to PM you and drop in if that works out.
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

Hell, solo or not let me know when you're in the area. We could at least meet up for a beer and talk shop.
DetroitDIY wrote:You bet Loki. Next time I'm planing to be in the area solo, I'll be sure to PM you and drop in if that works out.
PapaSquatch
Novice

Post by PapaSquatch »

Howdy!
Fort Wayne is my hometown, and now I live just across the state line.
My first still is mostly in my mind, but there is a growing pile of parts I will be assembling soon (garage is too damn cold right now!)
It would be great to meet up with some locals and pick up some pointers. I've already learned that 2/3 of what I thought I knew was wrong, so I'm off to a good start :D
Everyone called me a worthless nut for years, so I moved to OHIO and made it official!