Midwest Contingent

This forum is for posting announcements for upcoming meetings or events.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Forum rules
Members need to be aware that as all meetings and events are beyond the control of the administration team here and as such homedistiller and it administration and moderators are not responsible for any action and or occurrence at any meeting or event. Members choose to participate at their own risk and responsibility
For security reasons do not post personal information including names exact addresses,phone numbers and detailed itineraries, this sort of information can be communicated via private message, emails or by phone call
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Midwest Contingent

Post by DetroitDIY »

Was just reading a thread by DistillerDresden looking for people around Indiana looking to get together. viewtopic.php?f=91&t=70491

I've been in touch with a couple of people in Michigan, and know of one or two others around here. I wanted to open a thread for us Midwesterners to coordinate; possibly arrange a meeting (get to know who each other are, share our beverages (and foods), and raise our spirits :D ); possibly arrange a group buy (I'm thinking of Panela, but other things may be in order as well); etc.

This is not to detract from what Dresden already has started, but I didn't know if the Michiganders, Illinoisans, Wisconsinites, and others (what exactly constitutes a Midwestern state anyways? :eh: ) would be looking for an Indiana thread. So.... a Midwest Contingent.

I would love to find out who's in the neighborhood, and possibly arrange a gathering. I almost went to the S3:18... very tempting, but the drive was 8.5 hours... a bit more than I wanted to handle 2x in a 72 hr period (separated by over indulging). Now... 1-3 hours sounds all good. And my hometown is Madison, so 5.25 hours (as I drive it) doesn't sound to bad either... :wink: And the Northern 1/3 of Michigan is a beautiful (and remote) place. Just saying...

Let me know what you think, all you fly-over folks.

DetroitDIY
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Re: Midwest Contingent

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

This sounds great, Detroit, seems like a Michigan roundup would close to a lot of us folks.
Of course, MI is a tall state, and a meet-up in the U.P. could still mean a pretty long drive!
But it sure is pretty up there.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

i'm in
When the student is ready the teacher will emerge.

Flute Journey viewtopic.php?f=17&t=69736
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

I would be interest in a Michigan UP meet.. as I am just 2 hrs from Sault Ste Marie on the Canadian side..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Longhairedcountryboy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Longhairedcountryboy »

I'd be interested for sure.
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

I'd be in for a meet and for panela. I live in the zoo but have family in the Soo.
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

Great to see the interest in all this. :thumbup:

I'm in SE Michigan, and don't actually have a place up North. So unless someone else does on the forum that's more a fantasy than a reality. My place is not too large, but not too small (just right :D ). If it's a small-ish gathering, say 10 or 12 folks I could accommodate. Much more than that and the house would overflow. That's possible in the summertime, as we have a front porch and a back deck, but it's starting to get chilly for the next several months. I'm not in Detroit proper (the name's more of a global handle :wink: ), but within 45 minutes as I drive, and still in a city. My neighbors are close, and not all of them know all of my hobbies if you get me :shh: .

If someone else thinks they have a better option, I'm all for it. I'll let this ride for a bit to see what you think.

Regarding the panela, I'll get in touch with SugarDaddy to see about options. I do know that he can get us a much better shipping rate if it can be received at a loading dock. Closest one of those that I have good access to is back in WI... so not the best if most of us are in MI. If you're interested in getting in on this, PM me with the roughly how much you might want (no commitment, just trying to ballpark), and let me know if you have access to a shipping dock in MI where we might receive a palate load or two.

DetroitDIY
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

I have a house on a lake in northern Michigan about 3 hours from Detroit that can handle a group and could be used. My shop is in the Detroit suburbs could be used for a day meet

StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

As I have stated in a prior post, I would be interested in meeting fellow HD.. as I live some 2 hrs from the Sault MI on the Canadian side.. your offer BS of using your place about 3 hrs north of Detroit, is sounding very good for me, that would make the drive only about 7 hrs for me.. don't know about the others if the place would suit them.. now I may not be able to cross some of my goods, as the US border of late have become sticker with Canada legalizing cannabis, but I will work on figuring out something..

Detriot.. have you searched for a place in your area that could receive the freight goods.. in Sault MI, there is a place called Weir Package and Freight Service, which is equip to handle freight service.. I have use their service a few times..
Also, would you have a web site address of SugarDaddy products, interested in their product line, all I get in my search is dating sites..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
ydoih8u
Bootlegger

Post by ydoih8u »

Pretty cool idea. I'm in the Metro Detroit area myself.
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

Hey Stillerboy, I'll PM you contact info for SugarDaddy. I e-mailed him the other day and got a note back that he's only got access to some 50,000 lbs, so we can't go too overboard with our order :D . There's a price break at 1,000 lbs, which I'm guessing we'll exceed. Assuming that, the price is on the order of $0.90 / lb, plus shipping. I'll search a bit for the freight shipping option. I'm sure it's in the area, I just don't know of it.

Anywhere in short of the UP is good with me (UP is an option, but can easily double the distance for us "Southerners"). If you've got a reasonable place for some people up north Stogie, and that distance is good for most, I'm in favor of it. 3 hrs North of Detroit is about Grayling if you're trying to sort how far your travels might be. Looks like there are 6 of us interested so far, and I suspect others others will surface as they find this thread and we actually sort out a meet.

Looking over the calendar this year there are a number of US & CA holidays coming up. And I'm sure we each have other commitments for some of the weekends. I'll send you a note BigStogie to see what you're thinking.

DetroitDIY
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

Oops, took me a day to shoot off that note. Looks like we may be 7 now that Hater :wink: has spoken up.
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

Houghton Lake and I have a forklift at my shop if we need to unload

StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Houghton Lake area would be really ideal on my part.. that would be less than 6 hrs for me and that would include time at the border.. sometime it's quick, other time it's like 30 - 45 minutes..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

OK, BigStogie has graciously offered up his place in Houghton Lake as a venue (Thank you! 8) ). He and I looked over holidays and our schedules. It looks like either of the following are good from our perspective, but we need to hear from the rest of you who would like to join about whether this works for you.

Weekend of:

November 3-4
November 10-11 (that's Remembrance and Veterans Day weekend FYI...)
Sometime early 2019

If we can get a handful of you to agree on one of the first two, we'll run with it. If all this is too soon and you have too many other commitments, we'll re-figure something for Jan/Feb of next year.

Give a shout, either here where early respondents can sway the crowd, or by PM if you prefer.

And Panela; I saw some of you were interested, but no thoughts on how much you may want :roll: . I'll send everyone who showed interest a PM regarding details. Price per pound drops 22% if we order 1,000 lbs plus, so it's important to know if we'll be under or over that amount.

Cheers!
DetroitDIY
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

My shop is in the Detriot area and I can take freight there. We can break it up and arrange pick up or we ship every day but that might get costly, I can also load it in my truck or car trailer and bring it to the meetup. Let Detriot know what you guys want to do and we will work it out

StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

The weekend of Nov 3 - 4 would be ok with me, as I am retired with some wkend commitments generally having to do with silling, but that's not a big concern..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

Big Stogie wrote:Houghton Lake and I have a forklift at my shop if we need to unload

I have heard that Houghton is a great Walleye lake. Have thought about renting a cabin up there for a week for the wife & me to fish till we are sick of it.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Hoosier Shine9 wrote:I have heard that Houghton is a great Walleye lake.
Starting in mid Sept until ice up, is the best period for walleye fishing, especially for trophy side ones.. just before ice up is really the best time for trophy ones in the 40 to 60 ft. of water just off a deep edge area at those dept..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

Either of the dates mentioned would work for me. I'll likely have my still hand with me as well.
ydoih8u
Bootlegger

Post by ydoih8u »

The weekend of Nov 3-4 works for me.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Pretty sure I could make any November dates work.
I’m still bummed I didn’t make it up to the last one, so this would be great.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

Thanks for all the feedback. Looks like everyone who's replied can make the Nov 3-4 weekend (that's 6 of us... I would say enough to make it a go). Haven't heard yet from Longhairedcountryboy and one other who's staying the down low.

Big Stogie and I will get on with sorting out details.

Also, looks like we have a total count of 950 - 1050 lbs of panela interest. Waiting to hear back on the shipping costs from SugarDaddy, should be soon.

DetroitDIY
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Looking good Detroit.. and thanks for making it happen..

PM me on how I can help out.. can't cross food into the US on my part, but can chip in some other way..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

This will be a good time I’ll fire up the smoker throw some meat in and bring some cigars along with something to taste, we just put a big ipa in the fermenter should be bottled up by then,

Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

Detroit
Let me know when you have shipping details added-in to get a per pound price with the shipping.
My local source is cheap, but I think it’s mixed with beet sugar. The stuff you’re getting, (I believe) is high quality.
Don’t think I can make it that far north for the meet. If someone from the zoo will be heading up, I could grab this from them at a later date.
As it gets closer, we can iron out the details.
Cheers,
- Irish
"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it."
ydoih8u
Bootlegger

Post by ydoih8u »

Looking forward to the Meetup. Being part of a Homebrew club has been great for making me a better brewer/meadmaker etc... Hoping some nice feedback on the spirits might also help out.
Longhairedcountryboy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Longhairedcountryboy »

It looks like I have to fly out to Los Angeles for work in a couple of weeks. Exact start and finish dates for the job are not firm. I might not be back before November 3 - 4. Even if I do get back before, I don't think my wife would be too happy if I turned around and left for another weekend after being gone 2 weeks.

I would still like to get in on the panela if possible. I would be looking to grab 100lbs. Please PM me when you have the price plus shipping locked down. If anyone is willing to hold on to it for me for a few days, I could pick it up from them when I get back.
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

Things have come together well... here's the scoop:

Meet up is the weekend of November 2-3-4. Friday - Sunday. Big Stogie says hes going up early, and folks are welcome to show up anytime Friday early evening through Sunday afternoon.

He's got sleeping accommodations for about 8, but room for plenty more. So, if you're staying for a night or two, and you have a cot/pillow/blanket/sleeping bag, bring it. Else let him know that you're hoping to get some of the existing bed/couch space. If you prefer other options, the Lakeside Resort & Conference, Super 8 Houghton are both within a few miles of the place.

Bring your spirits/beer/cider/mead/wine/whatever to share, and think about some food.

We'll PM you the location. Please reply back with your rough plan on when you think you'll make it, and if you after one of the 8 beds/sofas.

I'll definitely be there Saturday day & night. Possibly Friday night as well... undecided. I'll try to squeeze in a bit of baking to bring up some cake, bread, or such before hand. Plan on making a Belgian waffle recipe with some fixings (and the iron) that I like on Sunday for whomever gets hungry, and perhaps something else :shifty: . I've got a bit of nice aged rum, some spicy ginger liquor, possibly my first run of UJSM if it ages enough by then, and some meads and ciders to share :crazy: . And I'll be lugging along a cot and sleeping bag to leave the other sleeping options for those who don't have a cot or such.

Assuming the panela arrives in time, Big Stogie and I will have that in tow too. :thumbup:

Looking forward to meeting you there,
DetroitDIY
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Thanks for the update Detroit..

I have estimated that my travel time to be about 6 hrs or so, and planning on driving down on Friday to be there for Friday evening.. I will not be needed accommodation on Friday and Saturday.. Need to stop in Sault MI to exchange some funds, and to pick up some items such as the blue corn I order from Robert, then it is down to Houghton Lake which the travel indicator states that it is about 2.5 hrs from the Sault..

I can not bring any food down with me since I have to cross the border in the US, and it is illegal to cross food.. but on the food part, we'ill work out sometime on that part once I get there..

I think I have figured out how to cross some spirit, have to check into this out a little more, but if it works out, I will have brandy, rye, spiced rum, red wine.. ( if I am not there Friday by 8, come bail me out..lol)

As for the panela, I will bring some containers with me to put it in for the amount we talked about..

Looking forward to the meetup and meeting you all.. and by the way, I have the address already..

Mars

– Albert Einstein