Midwest Contingent

This forum is for posting announcements for upcoming meetings or events.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Forum rules
Members need to be aware that as all meetings and events are beyond the control of the administration team here and as such homedistiller and it administration and moderators are not responsible for any action and or occurrence at any meeting or event. Members choose to participate at their own risk and responsibility
For security reasons do not post personal information including names exact addresses,phone numbers and detailed itineraries, this sort of information can be communicated via private message, emails or by phone call
ydoih8u
Bootlegger

Re: Midwest Contingent

Post by ydoih8u »

I can do Friday and Saturday. I don't have a cot, but can bring sleeping bag and a pillow so if it's availible I'd take one of those sleeping spots ;-)

I'll be bringing some apple brandy, bourbon, blackstrap rum, and some beer (not sure what yet.. Possibly a Brut IPA & Belgian Xmas beer.)

I can make up some soft pretzels to bring with me. I'll have to think on some other food to prepare.
Longhairedcountryboy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Longhairedcountryboy »

I am bummed that I will not be able to attend, but I would like to get in on the panela. Would anyone be willing to pick up and hold 100 lbs for me until I get back from my work trip? It shouldn't be more than a few days, week tops. I'm in Grand Haven, Michigan. Is anyone close?
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

I'm about an hour and a half S/se of you long hair
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

Just placed the panela order. Won't get to me a moment too soon. I've two more runs worth of molasses wash and then I'm out.

I'll send you the shipper details once i have them Big Stogie.

See you all in 3 1/2 weeks!
DetroitDIY
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

Sounds like we might be loading up the dually to bring sugar north
When the student is ready the teacher will emerge.

Flute Journey viewtopic.php?f=17&t=69736
ydoih8u
Bootlegger

Post by ydoih8u »

If it's metro Detroit I can pick up mine (save transporting 100lbs unnecessarily)
BrierPatch
Novice

Post by BrierPatch »

Thank you, StillerBoy for letting me know about this thread.

Unfortunately, I’ll be in the Ukraine the week before and can’t make it up North (my wife would have my head).

Not to detract from this thread, but if any of the SE Michiganders wanted to meet up at a restaurant here in the greater Metro area, please let me know - that would be easier to get a hall pass for...

Have a great weekend, gentlemen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

Be happy to connect with you BriarPatch, I'm in the area. And I suspect there'll be other gatherings in the future for you to join in on if you like.
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

Detriot area is an easy meet up let me know

FamilyTradition
Novice

Post by FamilyTradition »

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it either. Gotta take a kid on a college tour. Very much interested in an SE MI meetup, though.
BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

Man this sounds great! Wish I wasn’t already booked up with family that weekend but hope this group can make something happen like this next year or in the near future! It would be a nice break from reality that has consumed me this year. Can’t even remember what my product tastes like or what my still looks like.
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

We will do another one

StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

BoisBlancBoy wrote:Can’t even remember what my product tastes like or what my still looks like.
BoisBlancBoy.. That's not to good for one's health..

Whatever the reality that consumed you, I wish you the best in traversing it, and tomorrow is always a new day..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

look what showed up today! get ready to pick yours up if you are doing that
Attachments
sugar.jpg

StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Super.. question.. from the picture, it would seem to be in 50 lbs bags, would that be correct.. if so, that would mean for the 100 I'm to pick up at the meetup, I wouldn't need to bring containers with me..

And the count down is on..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
ydoih8u
Bootlegger

Post by ydoih8u »

Nice, looking forward to it.
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

I'm going to cut it open and weigh a bag will post up but its bagged lets hope its not some odd amount.

Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

55 lb bags so i need to figure that out but we will

Longhairedcountryboy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Longhairedcountryboy »

It looks like I'll be back in time to make the meet up! I'll see you fellas there.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Fuck ! Looks like a great party we are going to have to miss . SOH gets a total shoulder replacement Friday and won't be cleared for travel in time for the party .
Best we can hope for is to go see Flatwoods just before Turkey Day .
I hope this event turns out as well as those I have attended or hosted .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Nokum Stiff
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nokum Stiff »

Hi All!

Ill be trying to make it down...busy both Friday and Saturday but will shoot for Sunday!

---Stiff
**Voluntary reading..MANDATORY, Voluntary reading!**
Cranky's Spoon Feeding For NewStillers!
Cleaning Your Still
Glossary of HD Terms
Safety and Related Issues

quando omni flunkus moritati
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Truckinbutch wrote: SOH gets a total shoulder replacement Friday and won't be cleared for travel in time for the party .
Best wishes for the Mrs, TB.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

Big Stogie wrote:55 lb bags so i need to figure that out but we will
Yah, I spoke with SugarDaddy. He said the bags were 55.12 lbs, but may have some standard deviation... that's pretty much 25 kg on the money. Makes sense given that it's likely coming from a Caribbean nation I expect. So, if we do this again, we'll know to pick 25 kg increments. Anyway... we'll find a way to manage. I recommend folks bring some container for their odd "partial bag". I have a decent scale that's quite portable. I'll bring it to the gathering.

Speaking of the gathering, I'll be PM'ing those of you who've expressed interest with the location this weekend. Should be a good time... looking forward to meeting the rest of you and sharing some goodies. :D

One or two of you have PM'ed me about the cost of the Panela, or how to pay me. I'll send the ones who asked for a reminder on the cost a note via PM (though I think you may find it in an old message if you look). Regarding payment, I'm happy to collect at the meeting if you'll make it. If I have you receiving Panela but not making the meeting, I'll catch up with you via PM on how we can arrange that.

See many of you in about a week!
DetroitDIY
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

By the way, I got a strange 'This site is unsecure' note when I tried to access HD yesterday. Got it via Google and Explorer. Got it after re-starting my computer. Didn't get if from any other site. Not getting it today (but seeing an 'It Works' message on https://homedistiller.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow). Have the rest of you gotten that? Anyone know what happened?

Cheers!
ydoih8u
Bootlegger

Post by ydoih8u »

I think their SSL certificate expired. Seems to be updated for a couple months now though.
ydoih8u
Bootlegger

Post by ydoih8u »

This may be a dumb question but did anyone check the total weight sent? 1,050lbs would be 19 55lb bags + 5lbs.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Detroit ordered either 19 bags at 25k for 1,045 lbs or 20 bags for 1,100 lbs.. he has not said how much he's ordered.. I assume he's order enough to supply those that wanted some..

That's my take for the picture posted.

Mars

– Albert Einstein
ydoih8u
Bootlegger

Post by ydoih8u »

Oh I didn't notice that list I was going off of didn't have my quantity updated... Either way if I got 50lbs or 100lbs, if enough was ordered to bump them to 55lb bags I'd be fine paying for the extra 5-10lbs.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

I trust that he know what he's doing.. lol

I only need 80 lbs, but I'll take a 100, unless some one else wants extras.. 80 will give me enough to 2 spirit runs.. the extra would be used with a mix of grains..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

StillerBoy wrote:I trust that he know what he's doing.. lol
Considering I'm some strange internet dude you've never met... I'm happy to know you trust me. And for the record, your trust is well placed. :wink:

I just sent a couple of PMs to all who are coming to the meeting, which include all who asked for some of the Panela. I took good notes, and ordered what you asked for, and reminded you what you asked for and the cost in the PMs. If you were thinking to come, but I didn't send you a PM, give me a shout.

I did not know that it would arrive in 25 kg bags... assumed the English system... just not thinking too well on that one I guess. Anyway, everyone was in the 50/100/200/300/400 lbs categories. If we do this again, we'll know to order smarter (metric).

DetroitDIY