Midwest Contingent

This forum is for posting announcements for upcoming meetings or events.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Forum rules
Members need to be aware that as all meetings and events are beyond the control of the administration team here and as such homedistiller and it administration and moderators are not responsible for any action and or occurrence at any meeting or event. Members choose to participate at their own risk and responsibility
For security reasons do not post personal information including names exact addresses,phone numbers and detailed itineraries, this sort of information can be communicated via private message, emails or by phone call
ydoih8u
Bootlegger

Re: Midwest Contingent

Post by ydoih8u »

Haha no worries. I appreciate the work you've done on this. I work in a homebrew shop and all the grains are in metric as well.
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

Oops, sorry. Sent the PM saying 9-11, but was supposed to say Nov. 2-4, next weekend. So meet next weekend. Sorry for the confusion. And thanks for the correction Stillerboy!
Mack10
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mack10 »

Sorry that I missed this thread until now.

Deer season here is a long one. I will keep up with the forum better after the freezer is full. I might also be able to offer a remote venue west of kzoo for a meet next summer when my wares are fit to sip.
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

Sounds good Mack. Maybe it just because I've been looking, but it seems there are many hobby distillers in the Michigan area... I learn of new folks every week.

Regarding fit to sip... same here. I have one or two that I'm proud of. A young one that I'm bringing, but will be looking for other peoples thoughts on it, and everything else I got it fermented, but not distilled. I see a lot of people who like their to drink their distillates white, but unless it's vodka (and getting infused with something), I prefer wood aged spirits. That seems to put about a year lag on the drinkability of what I make. :esad:

West of KZoo sounds great. :thumbup: That attract some of the Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois folks. And I think there are several here who would be interested in a meet up more often than once a year. My guess is we'll get a feel for options on future gatherings when we're together this coming weekend.

DetroitDIY
ydoih8u
Bootlegger

Post by ydoih8u »

What? You mean alcohol may Foster an exchange of ideas? Seems pretty far fetched to me ;)
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

I'm planning to bring a sample of my neutral that I feel ok ish about, and a sample of some uj that's been in a barrel since August of last year that I'm not happy with.
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

Everything I have is young and not great but I’m bringing it anyway I’m sure we can all help each other and have fun. It might not be perfect but I’m sure it will have the desired effect :D
When the student is ready the teacher will emerge.

Flute Journey viewtopic.php?f=17&t=69736
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Will see what I can manage at the Border.. if all go well, then I should have at least some premium 16 month old red wine, Amarone, to go with our supper on Saturday, and as for some spirit, I still have some work on that part, but will see..

Hopefully all go will, snow on Friday for us up here.. looking forward to the meet, see you guys Friday night..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

DSM Loki wrote:I'm planning to bring a sample of my neutral that I feel ok ish about, and a sample of some uj that's been in a barrel since August of last year that I'm not happy with.
You underrate yourself . What you consider substandard has been highly rated by your peers in other venues .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

Thanks Butch, you are kind. This batch of uj is quite different than any I've made before. It's one of my first attempts on my flute, and I didn't think to add fresh toasted and charged fingers to the once used barrel. I'm pretty sure I got too wide toward the tail end on the cuts. There's a persistent astringency in this I'm not fond of. I figure I'll just let it keep going in the barrel and cut tighter next time.
Truckinbutch wrote:
DSM Loki wrote:I'm planning to bring a sample of my neutral that I feel ok ish about, and a sample of some uj that's been in a barrel since August of last year that I'm not happy with.
You underrate yourself . What you consider substandard has been highly rated by your peers in other venues .
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

Beerswimmer had an interesting idea on the Show Us Your Dunder Pit thread... to share a bottle of infected dunder. I have an infection that developed naturally in a covered plastic bucket dunder pit I had from old dunder just sitting in the unheated workshop for 2 years. I've been fermenting my latest Purgirum with it. If anyone would like me to bring a bottle of the dunder with the infection in it to hand off, let me know... I'll see what I can do.

DetroitDIY
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

I don’t have Dundee but I’ll bring some yeast packets

ydoih8u
Bootlegger

Post by ydoih8u »

Don't really have any distillers yeast, but I can probably swing by work and grab a bunch of expired beer yeasts if anyone is interested. (Generally still fine - just make a starter)
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

ydoih8u wrote:grab a bunch of expired beer yeasts if anyone is interested
I'll take you up on some expired beer yeast..

would be appreciated, and would be interesting what I could do with it..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

we make starters with the expired yeasts so bring them if you don't mind

Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

Detroit,
I agree with you on the white for the majority of my spirits, with one acceptation. Oat poteen, this is the one drink outside of (flavored) neutral that I can drink immediately. (It’s good aged as well!)
Eight pounds of oats, two pounds of six row barley, enzymes and M-1 or ale yeast.

Sorry I’m missing out on the meet.

Looking forward to future gatherings.

Cheers,
- Irish
"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it."
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

Poteen. Never seen a recipe for it, never looked. I tried some in Ireland, but I suspect it was not decent. Kind of had it for the novelty.

My list of fermenting / distilling projects is growing rapidly, but I would like to explore making a bit of the drop. I'll keep your recipe in mind.

Honestly, I've never done an all grain, but need to get with it. Planning on making some nice toasted oat n corn bourbon first though to put on some oak and get aging. And I have to finish filling my rum barrel. And I just started a large mess of cheater's apple brandy which I'll need to run to clear out my fermenters.

I just fermented a ton of buckwheat mead, and transferred it to my recently emptied old rum barrel. And just pitched 2 different 5 gallon batches of heirloom apple ciders tonight. I have ideas of making a mesquite mead, distilling some, and aging it (possibly on mesquite if I can find it) and then back sweetening the spirit with some of the original mesquite mead. Thought it may make an interesting drink. Anyhow, too much to do, and the cold weather is coming. Poitin yes, but no time soon for me I suspect.

Slainte!
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

I will bring pictures of constructions and the different setups I have on a usb stick, and an older model lap top..

So if some of the members coming to meetup have pictures on your pc etc., put them on a stick, and bring them along..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
ydoih8u
Bootlegger

Post by ydoih8u »

Grabbed a bag with 16 yeasts in it... Though I noticed many of them are belgian's. Couple lager and wine yeast, few american.
ydoih8u
Bootlegger

Post by ydoih8u »

Sort of off-topic, but is anyone interested in playing any board games? My other hobby is board games so I have a fairly extensive collection. Figure might give us something to while sampling lol.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

I can't speak for the others, but for my part, by the time we talk about mashing methods, different setups, distillation methods, and whatever (eating and sampling), there should be not much time for anything else.. that just me, as I'm very interested in how others do their process and what equipment have etc..

Also I'm very interested in building a steam setup, so hoping I can tap MCH on that (will have pictures of his build) and explain how to run steam.. as if I don't have enough setups right now..

Mars
Last edited by StillerBoy on Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

– Albert Einstein
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

I’m up for whatever, I don’t know if anyone enjoys a cigar but I’ll bring a few we do have an exhaust system for smoke in the garage which is sort of the gathering room. Please if you are getting sugar, bring something that will hold 5 to 10 lbs that you might not mind leaving. Heavy zip locks might even work. We have 55 lb bags and need to pull 5 lbs off some of them more off others I’ll bring my grain scale, funny you should mention steam I was just looking at steam cooker builds

B.S

StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

I'll take you up on a cigar, haven't had one for almost a year.. along with some good HD company, and a good brandy, it will be the prefect occasion.. just can't wait until Saturday now..

Will have containers to put the sugar in with me..

Mars
Last edited by StillerBoy on Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

– Albert Einstein
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

An FYI i'm leaving tonight so i will be there all day tomorrow except for a shopping trip after I get a delivery. Come when ever you want if you need direction or anything message me here I will be watching
BS

StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Thanks BS for the update on being there on Friday.. I will be there sometime Friday afternoon, 3ish or so..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

I sure wish I could have made this.
We have 2 birthdays between now & Sunday.
Management has been planning on a BD party here so........

I have an UJSSM that has been ready to run for about 2 months. Been sitting in fermenter under an airlock so is still good.
I will try to do a run on Saturday.
It should turn out real good.
Last time I let one sit on the corn for a while before I ran it was VERY good.
Longhairedcountryboy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Longhairedcountryboy »

My car broke down today. I'm going to make it one way or another. I might not get there until Saturday or Sunday, but I will make it somehow.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

ydoih8u wrote:Sort of off-topic, but is anyone interested in playing any board games? My other hobby is board games so I have a fairly extensive collection. Figure might give us something to while sampling lol.
It's been my experience that the exchange of information , sharing good food , and camaraderie leaves little time for leisure activities not related to our hobby .
Trust me , the venue on it's own gets intense .
So much to share and so little time .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

I’m here so let’s do this I have a couple projects to do tomorrow I’m going to pick up someing to put in the smoker Saturday, thinking burnt end sandwiches, some baked beans and some kind of salad or slaw. I’ll make a sausage fatty for breakfast in the smoker too. We will figure out the rest when you all get here, I brought some beer we made, a Brett Saison, a stout and some cherry wheat. Some orange/raspberry mead and some bourbon that’s not awful. See you all soon

DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

H8U - I'm up for games, or cards, or dice (though I'm not a gambler... just for fun). Bring whatever, and if the moment is right, break something out... but probably better not to bring anything too complicated. :crazy:

I see from time to time people talking about running on steam. Don't know anything about it, but would love to learn. Looking forward to learning how folks are doing different things, and why, and how it's turned out.

That's good news on he UJSM resting on corn Hoosier. I have two runs worth that have been on for about a month now... possibly a project for next week. Sorry that you won't be making it. Enjoy the BDays and we'll see you at a future event.

Big Stogie - I'm also bringing a breakfast something... a pretty decent Belgium waffle recipe and set-up. If it works, I'm happy to whip them up, if not, no bother. I'm also thinking hat a bit of grocery shopping will be needed, but waiting until I'm there so we don't all show up with too much for the grill or such.

I'll be coming up straight from work, leaving a bit early. Likely arrive around 5 tomorrow. Have some bread proofing as I type that I'll be bringing up, and a variety of beverages, nothing in to much quantity (although we won't be able to down that much in spirits), but enough to sample and discuss. I'll also be bringing a little some thing for people to head home with. And I'll be bringing my laptop with info on my runs, and builds, and what-not: photos galore. And I'll be bringing a glass good for small pours, and a bottle of Advil. 8)

See you all soon enough,
DetroitDIY