Midwest Contingent

This forum is for posting announcements for upcoming meetings or events.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Forum rules
Members need to be aware that as all meetings and events are beyond the control of the administration team here and as such homedistiller and it administration and moderators are not responsible for any action and or occurrence at any meeting or event. Members choose to participate at their own risk and responsibility
For security reasons do not post personal information including names exact addresses,phone numbers and detailed itineraries, this sort of information can be communicated via private message, emails or by phone call
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Re: Midwest Contingent

Post by OtisT »

I hope you Midwest folks are all doing OK with all that freakishly cold weather you are having. I see that weather map and am thankful I live where I do. On the plus side, if you need to cold crash something you will have no problems doing so.

Stay warm. Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

I would be interested in the month May, (hopefully this cold weather will have moved on) and some corn.. that's providing it's held at Houghton Lake.. otherwise anything further down toward Detroit would be what on the far side for me..

And yah OtisT, the weather is cold but its the wind that makes it miserable.. almost frooze my feet two days ago after running the snowblower for two hour recovering for a foot snow.. and old age don't make matter easier as the feeling in my hands and feet are not good anymore..
Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
ydoih8u
Bootlegger

Post by ydoih8u »

I could make any of those dates work. Couple of notes on the May dates though... The first one is "Big Brew Day" - A national brew day I imagine other distillers may also be part of, and the second is Mother's Day weekend.

I'd be interested in a group buy. Not sure I'm sold on the corn... I've only done 1 bourbon, but it was a hell of an experience separating that corn lol. I'm sure my arm could be twisted though lol
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

My schedule is pretty flexible, and I'd be in for some good corn as well. Gotta hit it hard in the shed this year to make up for not running at all last year.
Last edited by acfixer69 on Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed advertisement
PapaSquatch
Novice

Post by PapaSquatch »

Howdy folks!
I'm a newbie, been lurking here a while, and gathering pieces to build my first still.
I am also local (relatively speaking) and would like to pick up some pointers from experienced distillers. It's a lot easier to learn from other folks mistakes!
Fort Wayne is just a half hour down the road from me, and the Michigan state line is an hour north - I do not cross it nearly as often as I'd like :esad: .
Houghton is a long way, but I could try for anywhere south of the bridge :)
Everyone called me a worthless nut for years, so I moved to OHIO and made it official!
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

Good to have you join Squatch.

Regarding a next gathering, I'm not sure what to expect as I haven't heard back from BigStogie in a while. Sooo... we may need to be patient, and indeterminate on a date, or find an alternate venue. Anyone have thoughts on another option?

Haven't distilled since about November, nor fermented much, but I have a few things to bring that weren't ready last time we met. Hoping to get back at it as the weather warms.

DetroitDIY
ydoih8u
Bootlegger

Post by ydoih8u »

Finally getting around to doing the spirit run on some of that panela from the last group buy. Smelling pretty good coming off the still.
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

OK, I'm ready for another meet up, but can't sort out a good venue. My place is a bit small and a bit urban. I could try it in a real bind, but it's tight and there's not much sleeping space.

Anyone have ideas for another space? I've been getting my still running again (post winter hibernation), but if we're meeting before the Fall, all my new make will be more "I dare ya" style.

Since last time, I've finished a good sized batch of 2nd Gen UJSM that's been on oak for 6 months now, have been aging that funky rum that I was unhappy about at the time (it needs 10 gallons of Panela to go with it), made some neutral per Stillerboy's recipe, will have about 5 gallons of a marc apple brandy after tomorrow, and am just about to try my hand at my first whiskeys.

Met with a fellow distiller from the area a couple of weeks back. We got to talk shop for a while and he brought a few bottles of his labor. Left me thinking we need our next Midwestern meet up...

DetroitDIY
Craftdstllr
Novice

Post by Craftdstllr »

I live in South East Michigan and would be interested in attending a meet up if my schedule allows.
ydoih8u
Bootlegger

Post by ydoih8u »

Interested, but unable to host.
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

I hear you H8er :wink:

In the meantime, I've been messing with one of those panda clothes spinners that runs at 3200 rpm. You can read about the (mis)adventures here: viewtopic.php?f=83&t=72654

The short of it is, it was a bit risky and I'm throwing the towel in on this tool. But it's still functional and all, I just don't feel comfortable using it. If someone want's it, for laundry or other less sanctioned uses, I'm ready to give it away. Just give a shout and it's yours... whenever you can come to A^2 to pick it up, or we have our next meet up.

Cheers!
ydoih8u
Bootlegger

Post by ydoih8u »

DetroitDIY wrote:I hear you H8er :wink:

In the meantime, I've been messing with one of those panda clothes spinners that runs at 3200 rpm. You can read about the (mis)adventures here: viewtopic.php?f=83&t=72654

The short of it is, it was a bit risky and I'm throwing the towel in on this tool. But it's still functional and all, I just don't feel comfortable using it. If someone want's it, for laundry or other less sanctioned uses, I'm ready to give it away. Just give a shout and it's yours... whenever you can come to A^2 to pick it up, or we have our next meet up.

Cheers!
Haha, yeah I've been reading your adventures with it. I'm a mop wringerER lol. Thanks for the offer though.
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

Hey there H8U.

I been picking lots of apples and pressing them. Some for keeps sans distillation... 6 gallons on EC1118 that I'll age on oak... turned out nice when I did it 3 years ago... 7 gallons on M05 (Mangrove Jack Mead) with 9 lbs honey and 18 vanilla beans... And then I still had some 21 gallons that I plan to make into brandy. I pitched (2) 7 gallon buckets on EC1118, and the last 7 gallon bucket on a packet of that White Labs Merlot Red yeast that I picked up from you at our meeting last fall. Expiration on it was August 2018. I let it sit out for 36 hrs, then just pitched it into the fresh apple must. Took off and is gurgling away!

Thanks for sharing those. Impressive that they're still so potent. I've been keeping mine in the fridge until now.

Looking forward to another gathering someday, somewhere. Until then, hope you all are doing well out there.

Cheers!
DetroitDIY
ydoih8u
Bootlegger

Post by ydoih8u »

Sorry, just saw your post. Yeah the expired yeasts are pretty much all I use these days lol. Depending on how long they are expired I'll make a starter (for a beer, cider, or mead.) I'm not the biggest fan of EC1118. I find it strips a little too much flavor out for my liking.
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

I hear a lot of such comments about 1118, but I actually like the flavor of a cider fermented on that, especially with a little oak added in, and a little priming sugar to bottle carbonate it. That's how I did my first ciders. They're still lovely after 4 years.

The cider on the Merlot Red smelled amazing, thought I didn't taste it before I distilled it yesterday (working on a batch of brandy). But I do plan to ferment some later this season for drinking and thought I would pick up a packet of that WL Merlot Red again.

Thanks again!
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

DetroitDIY wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:48 pm Looking forward to another gathering someday, somewhere. Until then, hope you all are doing well out there.
Same here.. was looking forward to it happening..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

Big Stogie is back. He's the only one who's offered up a suitable place. He's interested in a repeat, but has other things in the hopper at the moment. It'll likely happen, just a matter of when.

I've been going at things here like a fiend, but I'm a bit biased to the volume side rather than the variety side. Still, I'll have a few things ready to bring to share. About filled a big barrel with rum, have a bit white as well. Have some neutral waiting for a good use... thinking of an Amaro and some limoncello. Have more UJSM from last meeting that's now been in a barrel for 12 months. Have a small barrel of my breakfast rye (likely too young yet) and a jar of the rye white for comparison. Have some Bourbon with millet (also too young). Have some watermelon brandy that needs to be re-run... I bunged it up and it's just like nasty rind water. Have a good amount of apple strip waiting to become a brandy (that'll be suitable for our meet a year from now :wink: ). And have a container of an apple marc brandy on charred stickes... aged about 6 months, but still not a pride point.

I'm enjoying the making, and learning, and balancing it out with some good woodworking projects.

Looking forward to seeing you all again, and possibly some new faces.

Cheers!
DetroitDIY
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

Hello everyone! I missed you, got a little busy with life and work. Tomorrow I will fill a new 5 gallon barrel with Honey Bear that even white I’m pretty happy with. About to run 50 gallons of what I hope is a clean neutral so I can test out the gin head. Also following in DIY footsteps I have some Mamajuana done. I have been on some fruit wines too. I was thinking about grabbing some cider from one of the mills and getting some apple brandy going. I’ll set up a meet at my house again but my other news is that sometime in the next 2 or 3 weeks my daughter is going to give me my first granddaughter. As soon as that gets settled we will book a date.
My best to you all!
B.S.
When the student is ready the teacher will emerge.

Flute Journey viewtopic.php?f=17&t=69736
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Welcome back Big Stogie..

Whatever life asked you to experience, glad to hear you got through it..

And congratulation on your first granddaughter, and hoping everything go well..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

Hey there Midwest, how's everybody doing out there?

Things are well enough for my and my family here in SE Michigan. Been running the still already a decent amount this year; some as a column (I've been sticking to 2 plates lately) and some as a pot (just finished 40 gal of a panela/molassas wash yesterday... over 4 gallons of collected spirit to make cuts on tonight).

Been working on meads too, fermented - not distilled. Made 15 gallons of Buckwheat mead when we last got together a year and a half ago. I've finally finished it up... 3 different variations, all of which have come into their own quite nicely. Lot's of nay sayers about Buckwheat out there. I was persuaded early on, but over time they've all aged very well.

Speaking of aging, I have lots on oak these days. When the dust settles from all the Covid, we should connect again.

Cheers!
DetroitDIY
ydoih8u
Bootlegger

Post by ydoih8u »

Nice. I haven't been making the kinds of stuff I've wanted to during these times... Been running the commerical still quite a bit though. Mostly making hand sanitizer but also some vodka. Made a few things from some of that vodka like limoncello, absinthe, gin, sambuca, and some barrel aged gin.
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

I have some vodka and Gin I am very proud of. I hae had honey bear in a barrel for 8 months and its pretty amazing in a taste test. It keeps getting better I thought it would be out a while ago but I am holding out

ydoih8u
Bootlegger

Post by ydoih8u »

Nice..I have a peated malt, some gin, and some rum that are pretty good. (Esp the peated malt)
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

Just distilled 5 gallons of Odin's Easy in the boiler (about 3.5 gallons collected and proofed to 45 ABV). First sip last night... very nice.

My UJSM (same as I bought to our last get together) has aged pretty nicely... just had a spot 30 minutes ago. Now been about 22 months in the barrel.

I loved my first rum, a blend of a few recipes that aged a long time. Started lousy, aged to fabulous. Now I'm sitting on a lot more... and again not liking it at present. Hopefully time will continue to heal all.

Same story on my apple brandies, one a marc and one the real thing. Both smell good, but neither impresses me in the taste. Those are in stainless with oak sticks... not much (any) breathing. I keep thinking I'm tasting some sulfur, but I'm not truly sure. Been thinking to take off a small sample and drop a bit of copper in there and see if it changes things. You guys ever experience this? I am really lazy about cleaning my still these days... wondering if that may be affecting things... but the gin I just did is very nice, none of that off flavor.

The buckwheat meads have come out very nice, and many other ciders and meads mellowing in bottles and carboys.

I've been reading that Butter Rum thread and getting excited about it... possibly later this summer. Got a decent amount of Munich II to deal with, and a bag of TS corn. And another run or two of dump bucket ciders/meads/wines. As always... too much to do. Working my way back to more pot stilling, and thinking to modify my (2) 5 gal sankey kegs into a double retort.

Cheers all!
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

DIY, I have 2 6th BBL for a double retort build I am collecting parts. Next up for me is going to be a rye that I will age in the run barrel. After that I think I will go after the Pirate rum recipe that i have seen with pineapple and bananas in the mash. ill need some neutral too so i will be busy.

ydoih8u
Bootlegger

Post by ydoih8u »

I still have some of the panela left for some rum... Been getting my dunder pit super funky for it. Also got a couple bags of rye for some rye whiskey... Just haven't had time to make it... Hell... I have like 35 gallons of peated malt wash still sitting around from like March I haven't run.... I really need to get some runs in.
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

well 2020 was a bit crazy, hopefully things will open up soon and we can go back to the lake to meet up. My honey Bear was in the barrel for 13 months and its a home run, My Neutral/Vodka came out way better than I ever expected and my gin experiment was a success also, i ended up taking some of the gin an putting some raspberries and mint leaves in the bottle. (crazy I know) beautiful pink color and maybe the best gin and tonic I ever had. I will bring samples. I plan on getting something together when we can get a little normal and the border opens so we can have stiller boy join us. Keep in touch. stay safe, stay healthy.

B.S.

ydoih8u
Bootlegger

Post by ydoih8u »

Sounds good. I'm not sure what I have left for a share... Might have hit the supply a bit for 2920 lol. But I def have some stuff squirrelled away.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Thanks for the update, Stogie, sure is nice to think of a day when we could all meet up again without thinking about setting the chairs 6' apart!
Take care, Hope to see ya this year.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Big Stogie wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:13 pm I plan on getting something together when we can get a little normal and the border opens so we can have stiller boy join us.
Thanks for thought BS.. and nice to hear the HB is a hit.. I remember one you had at the meet, that one was also a hit.. I surely liked the meet up and miss it.. and maybe I'll be able to bring a few others from the area..

Would be nice to meet with all those that were there last time..

Mars

– Albert Einstein