Meet Me In Saint Louie

This forum is for posting announcements for upcoming meetings or events.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Forum rules
Members need to be aware that as all meetings and events are beyond the control of the administration team here and as such homedistiller and it administration and moderators are not responsible for any action and or occurrence at any meeting or event. Members choose to participate at their own risk and responsibility
For security reasons do not post personal information including names exact addresses,phone numbers and detailed itineraries, this sort of information can be communicated via private message, emails or by phone call
Dave H
Novice

Meet Me In Saint Louie

Post by Dave H »

Anybody live in/around the Saint Louis area?
"Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough!"
-Mark Twain
XDStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Meet Me In Saint Louie

Post by XDStill »

Present. Jeffco.
Dmitch21
Novice

Post by Dmitch21 »

brentwood area
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

St. Peters hoosier checking in. I'm out by Mexico & Hwy. 79.
Just kicking back and enjoying our legal distilling status here in the great state of M̶i̶s̶e̶r̶y̶ Missouri.
Dave H
Novice

Post by Dave H »

XDSTILL: we should meet up sometime (as well as the rest of you) bc I am also in JEFFCO

DMITCH21: I actually am an assistant distiller for Naked Spirits in Brentwood. You probably haven't heard of us, but we are new and located in the Classic Car Studio (ever heard of Speed is the New Black TV Series?)

FIZZIX: That is great news! You have commented on a few things for me (and others) and have been very helpful! I wish I knew you were so close! Hopefully we will meet soon!

Any of you guys enjoy a cigar with your drinks? I know a guy who has an amazing cigar lounge in Chesterfield. It could be a cool way for us all to meet up and discuss the craft. Thoughts?
-Mark Twain
XDStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by XDStill »

I’ll smoke a cigar from time to time. I’m up for it if the interest is there.

I’d definitely like to have someone with more experience than me go through a run and try some of my products for feedback. I’m primarily making rums (lately from straight fancy molasses) corn whiskey, and all malts. Just started figuring out my reflux system and trying to get a passable gin out of it. I’d be happy to host a few people at my place.
7308E7A0-52EE-4AF7-BC4A-448CA84CC625.jpeg
3D7E1474-D66F-458F-ABFF-25BB5B92C890.jpeg
Dave H
Novice

Post by Dave H »

XDSTILL: that's an awesome setup! I wouldn't think that I am more experienced than you... I've only been doing this a short time, but I am FULLY ENGAGED. I started researching about a year/year and a half ago, and then back mid-summer I sought out a couple gentlemen who were opening a distillery in Brentwood (Naked Spirits). They allowed me to sort of intern for them for a few months while they were learning their new 100 gallon column still and trying to prepare for the grand opening we had on Oct 26th. I suppose they were at least somewhat impressed because they continued to use my help (and I was happy to give it) I learned a lot with them on a commercial scale (if you wanna call it that), but now I am also trying to do my own thing as well. With them we make rum and vodka. Their specialty is rum so maybe I can offer up something useful for you but the only way to know is to try it! I would totally be down to hang out and do a run with you! You have a pretty sweet setup. I only have a few 13 gallon fermenters and a 15 gallon Brewhaus setup. It's pretty simple... 15G boiler, deflegmator, condenser, parrot... that's it. I run it as a pot still setup though. I am a bourbon guy so my focus is whiskey / all grain brewing.
-Mark Twain
BarkAtTheMoonshine
Novice

Post by BarkAtTheMoonshine »

St Charles checking in!
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Get a nice deep stainless tray to sit the collection jars in.

Mine cost three dollars at the charity shop.

Geoff
The Baker
BarkAtTheMoonshine
Novice

fizzix wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:05 am St. Peters hoosier checking in. I'm out by Mexico & Hwy. 79.
Just kicking back and enjoying our legal distilling status here in the great state of M̶i̶s̶e̶r̶y̶ Missouri.
I thought your user name looked familiar, and sure enough! I've been soaking up all the info I can on the Honey Bear Bourbon thread the last couple weeks, and I'm planning on taking a crack at my first AG this weekend, running next weekend. Where do you source your malt? I've been going to Brewer's in St Peters for general equipment, but never bought any of their grain; it looks like they have a mill that they'll run it through for you.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Brewer's is nice.
I hit Design2Brew on Winghaven in O'Fallon.
Mark, there, has a nice shop dedicated to beer & wine & distilling.
Good place for equipment, toys, and a nice fresh grain selection (and a mill).
==I'm not a shill for Design2Brew--- just a satisfied customer===
BarkAtTheMoonshine
Novice

Sweet, I'll have to check them out!
BarkAtTheMoonshine
Novice

Dave H wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:15 am Any of you guys enjoy a cigar with your drinks? I know a guy who has an amazing cigar lounge in Chesterfield. It could be a cool way for us all to meet up and discuss the craft. Thoughts?
I'm down for a meetup!
Dave H
Novice

Post by Dave H »

@BarkAtTheMoonshine awesome! my gf's parents live in the OFallon area and her dad's lounge is in Chesterfield. I usually go there on the weekends at some point.
On Friday after I get off from my real job I plan to go to the distillery (in Brentwood) to break down and clean the still... maybe after I'm done we can go to the lounge and have a drink and a smoke? It's right next to top golf in Chesterfield... OPEN INVITATION for anyone reading this btw!
-Mark Twain
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

XDStill wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:29 am Image
I think you need a bigger temp gauge. :)

Holy smoke, where did you get that monster?
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
XDStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by XDStill »

cayars wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:34 am
XDStill wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:29 am Image
I think you need a bigger temp gauge. :)

Holy smoke, where did you get that monster?
😄. Came from Amazon, 5” dial. Let’s me sit across the room on the couch and read it. I’m going for that Big Ben look. 😄
XDStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by XDStill »

Hey gents. I’d like to see if there’s interest in a distilling evening/tasting/hang out session now that we’re past the holidays. I’m willing to host for those not afraid to venture down to Imperial. I’m thinking some weekend late February, and maybe running a rum and getting multiple folks involved in practicing cuts.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Imperial is a walk in the park for me.

XDStill, if you are hosting, then I say you determine when.
I have weekends free after February 2nd, and either Saturdays or Sundays are good because I don't have a life.

I'll bring some homemade liquors --you have to especially try my rye.
I won't be bringing a still of course, but do you need anything else?
Propane, grain, bushel of cracked corn, hydrometers, refractometers?

I'll bring some DADY and bakers yeasts to give out that have about another year before expiry date.
Rather share 'em than let them go bad in the fridge. (I'm currently preoccupied with FermPro yeasts)

Hopefully we can get more members to come, because I'm a pretty dull person on my own. :yawn:
Thanks for offering to host, XDStill!
BarkAtTheMoonshine
Novice

Apart from the weekend of February 15th, I should be able to make myself available on a weekend.

I'm a little low on drinking stock at the moment (darn holidays), but I've got a half bottle of my spiced Christmas rum that went over really well with the family, I'll bring it with me! Love to get some feedback.

Fizzix, if you've got any of that HBB laying around, I'd love to get a taste of that too! I've been working with that recipe for my first AG.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

BarkAtTheMoonshine wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:28 am ...if you've got any of that HBB laying around, I'd love to get a taste of that too! I've been working with that recipe for my first AG.
My pleasure. I think I can find another jar stashed away.
They were guzzled pretty quickly after aging.
Dave H
Novice

Post by Dave H »

Any weekend day after Feb 15th is solid for me as well. Only thing I have going on is watching the XFL games... so Feb 23rd is out for me (I have season tix)...
I can bring some bourbon I’m working on and my white dog... I also collect the shit out of whiskey and cigars so I can bring some commercial stuff as well... haha and since we’re talking a day of making and drinking booze perhaps I can talk my gf into giving out some rides home lmao...
-Mark Twain
XDStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by XDStill »

Ok gents, I’m thinking Feb 29th, around 4pm until whenever 😄 Probably just order in some pizza and have some snacks on hand. If there’s interest, I can make a run on the reflux, although as y’all know it’s like watching paint dry once things are up and stable. 😄

For me, I’m just looking for a little peer feedback. I’ve got some rum in various aging stages, a few different all grain whiskies also in various aging stages, some all corn shine, and I’ve been making absinthe lately on my little pressure cooker still.

Looking forward to shooting the shit and maybe even trying a few of your products.
Dmitch21
Novice

Post by Dmitch21 »

Old thread lets revive it.
Dave H
Novice

Post by Dave H »

Let’s do it! I’ve fallen off the wagon the past year or so. It would be great and would give me some motivation to get back in the garage! I’m down.
-Mark Twain