Steam injected thumper for small scale infusions

Steam powered cooking and distillation devices.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Ushibaosensei
Novice

Steam injected thumper for small scale infusions

Post by Ushibaosensei »

Hello,

I have been reading lots about thumper usage and infusions etc on here. I couldn't really find an answer to this, so wondered if anyone is doing it?

So I was thinking, when I've done my main rum spirit run etc its a 30litre boiler and 9litre thumper, so will be getting a decent batch of final drink from it. I want to be able to do a smaller batch of infused rum or snapps/brandy/gin etc, say like coconut for example and don't want to have to knock up a whole new mini still for testing out infusion recipes. Has anyone had success of using steam from the main boiler to create infusions in the thumper as a steam still and basically getting say a smaller infused run instead of a massive batch of potentially shit flavoured rum if the recipe don't work out like expected. That felt long winded, hope you get the gist,?
Kareltje
Distiller

Re: Steam injected thumper for small scale infusions

Post by Kareltje »

I am not sure that I understand what you want to accomplish, but using the big boiler as a source of steam dilutes the contents of your thumper.
I do use a large boiler as a source of steam and heat to clean a pulp of fruit or grain, stripping the alcohol and taste without scorching.
Ushibaosensei
Novice

Post by Ushibaosensei »

Well that sort of answers my question, boiler will dilute the thumper contents, so needs to contain alcohol. Cheers
stillness
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillness »

Lots of people use a keg as a steam generator (with just water in it) with another keg as the distilling boiler. Sounds similar to your setup - thumper charged with a mash - in your case a rum infusion. Yes, the distilling boiler - your thumper - does get diluted, but not prohibitively so. Sounds doable to me. A pressure release of some sort seems like a good idea, and making sure there's head room in the thumper.

Edit- maybe I'm reading your original post wrong? IDK
Ushibaosensei
Novice

Post by Ushibaosensei »

stillness wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:41 pm Lots of people use a keg as a steam generator (with just water in it) with another keg as the distilling boiler. Sounds similar to your setup - thumper charged with a mash - in your case a rum infusion. Yes, the distilling boiler - your thumper - does get diluted, but not prohibitively so. Sounds doable to me. A pressure release of some sort seems like a good idea, and making sure there's head room in the thumper.

Edit- maybe I'm reading your original post wrong? IDK
Thanks for the reply. I've decided its a right mess on using a the main boiler to power the thumper. Its going to be just as as easy to use maybe an airstill filled with final distillate and the infusion etc.