Summary of steam injection

Steam powered cooking and distillation devices.

Moderator: Site Moderator

engunear
Swill Maker

Summary of steam injection

Post by engunear »

Hi people,

Seeing questions asked where answers are known, and since this is a reasonably mature topic for some, I have dumped my understanding of the problem into a document, attached. There a few gaps, but its enough to get started.

This is a draft. There is no pretending this is complete, but I'd like it to be. It may have glaring errors. If people want to add constructive comments, pictures etc, I'll update it. Its also possible someone has done the same thing and written a summary that I've just not found. If so, please let me know. We (me included) get a bit prickly at times in a way that would not happen if we were in a room together sharing a tipple.

But the goal is a single source that summarizes the key ideas and good alternatives.

Enjoy !!
Attachments
Summary of Steam Methods - Draft 1.pdf
First draft
(1.75 MiB) Downloaded 283 times
Other people can talk about how to expand the destiny of mankind. I just want to talk about how to make whiskey. I think that what we have to say has more lasting value.

Anyone who tells you measurement is easy is a liar, a fool, or both.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Re: Summary of steam injection

Post by shadylane »

Thought I'd help you add some info :lol:
When using steam an accurate way to measure boiler pressure and a safety pressure release is a must.
The simplest way to do both is a manometer that's 2X as tall as the depth of the steam injector.
engunear
Swill Maker

Post by engunear »

So if you run a manometer, what pressure do you get? Also, what diameter steam feed pipe do you use and what length is it?
Other people can talk about how to expand the destiny of mankind. I just want to talk about how to make whiskey. I think that what we have to say has more lasting value.

shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

engunear wrote:So if you run a manometer, what pressure do you get?
That depends on how deep the steam is injected into the liquid.
If there's 24" of liquid above the injector and the steam pipe is 1/2" then the boiler will have around 26" of water pressure.
I'd use a water trap or a manometer that's around 48" tall in this case.
You want the boiler pressure to have some were else to vent if the injector gets plugged up.
And have it vent at the lowest pressure possible.
engunear
Swill Maker

Post by engunear »

Yep, never thought about it that way. But the pressure is the pressure to push the mash down plus the back pressure from gas traveling rapidly down a pipe plus the back pressure from the injector. I'm just curious if you can give a figure in pascals, or inches of water or something so we can have a measured value for the extra terms.

So I gather you get 2 inches from the extras?

Also, what power do you run?