Mash tun / fermentor project

Steam powered cooking and distillation devices.

Moderator: Site Moderator

shadylane
Master of Distillation

Re: Mash tun / fermentor project

Post by shadylane »

Just a thought Snackson
It's best if the steam injector is plumbed in such a way you can remove and clean it mid run.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Shady I'm new to this steam thing, so is it a big issue on the wand clogging? _ hope to use my setup this weekend
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

It depends on the design of the wand and whether you leave it in the mash when the steam is shut off.
If you leave it in, the starches will get in the holes and cook.
Some of us have been drilling multiple holes in the tubing, then wrapping SS mesh around it.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

OK I'm glad that I can pull out my wand with an easy tri clover fitting - still waiting on the pr valve, tempting to run it without with a stopper instead of the valve :shifty:
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Shady I manned up and made my mano 6' :)
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Moved my setup from my warehouse to my basement - plumbed in an old concrete sink that has been laying around since I bought this place 30 years ago and made a little room for my new fermentor, also added some extra 220 vac power.
Set up the steam system sh*t show right off the bat - my through triclamp developed a leak :thumbdown: so much for the clean setup this time, I was able to recover
fail.JPG
not so clean but should work.

Oh and the 6' mano
6'mano.JPG
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Another sh*t show thing - knowing it was wrong I did it anyway )- just being lazy and using what I had on hand I wired up my controller three wire 240 vac and wired the 110 vac fan one hot and the ground, no prob until the fan takes a shit and now I have about 60 vac between me and anything I touch. Be safe
OVZ
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Damn what a learning curve, not sure if I could make more mistakes than I did last night :oops:
First the leak in the tri fitting, then the controller, and having bigger is better issues did not take into account the amount of added water that the steam generator would add. I had good conversion but I think I went a little overboard on the water and ended up with a lower than hoped for OG (1.45) Waiting for the temps to drop ( bigger also means slower cooling) - Next build project will be a chiller.

Still learning
OVZ
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

oops I meant to type 1.045 for the OG
steamcorn.JPG
happily fermenting away
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

The mash went well below negative so time to transfer into carboys. Hooked the pump up
pump.JPG
opened the valve and... no output, I forgot to put the screen the out tube in the fermentor so ended up with a 2" elbow full of corn cement :oops: - going bigger also means that your mistakes and messes grow exponentially. I went after the clog using a piece of solid copper wire and let me tell you there is a lot of output from a 2" pipe when it clears, it's also hard to shut the valve when you have a piece of 10 gauge wire through it :oops: :oops: :oops: I lost a few gallons and made a mess of the floor (wet dry shop vacs are great!)
35gal.JPG
should end up after racking with about 35 gal to run
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

This project looks great OVZ! Thanks for sharing! I am done with the big move but kind of overwhelmed with projects around the house and property. I'm "still" (see what I did there??) optimistic about getting some mashing going before the end of the year though. Seeing a project like yours is great motivation. Thanks again for sharing.
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Fired up the steamer today and mashed a booners, 40 gal of water and 75LBS of polenta, a couple of enzymes later :D

No problems this time - love the steam!!!
booners2.JPG
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

HA HA spoke too soon :cry: Went to clean my boiler this morning and discovered a nasty scorch on my element, seems like some corn got sucked back into the boiler and the water level was low enough for it to stick. Thought that I could add water and PBW and fire her up for a cleaning, but no, no heat and thinking that the controller crapped I wired it direct and still no heat :thumbdown: did some scraping on the element and found this:
toast.JPG
:oops: Back to newbie level :(

OVZ
Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Snackson »

Oldvine Zin wrote:HA HA spoke too soon :cry: Went to clean my boiler this morning and discovered a nasty scorch on my element, seems like some corn got sucked back into the boiler and the water level was low enough for it to stick. Thought that I could add water and PBW and fire her up for a cleaning, but no, no heat and thinking that the controller crapped I wired it direct and still no heat :thumbdown: did some scraping on the element and found this:
toast.JPG
:oops: Back to newbie level :(

OVZ
Ouch! I'm sorry for your loss! I hope you have a spare on the shelf. I have them in HLT and boil kettle for brewing so I'd pull from there if needed.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Snackson wrote: I hope you have a spare on the shelf. I have them in HLT and boil kettle for brewing so I'd pull from there if needed.
Yup spares are a good thing to have around.

Still wondering how to prevent the back flow of corn back into my boiler, I have a valve installed that I can open to prevent that vacuum before shut down but I think that it's sucking in during the mashing :problem:

OVZ
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

I run my steam with the waste valve open until I get a good solid flow of steam. Then close it all at once. When I want to stop I open the valve fully and then cut the power after that. I rarely turn it down from full throttle. Seems like most people here use an automatic vacuum break valve to protect the system and prevent wart slurping.
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6
Fart Vader
Swill Maker

Post by Fart Vader »

Oldvine Zin wrote:Still wondering how to prevent the back flow of corn back into my boiler OVZ
I hade the same problem, cut the feeder pipe (after the relief valve) and soldered in a check valve. Inline swing type.
Haven't had a problem since. :D
My double walled boiler build: The Mashimizer. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64980
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Post by ShineRunner »

Fart Vader wrote:
Oldvine Zin wrote:Still wondering how to prevent the back flow of corn back into my boiler OVZ
I hade the same problem, cut the feeder pipe (after the relief valve) and soldered in a check valve. Inline swing type.
Haven't had a problem since. :D
Got a link? I've been looking at check valves and didn't know if the swing valves would seal tightly enough to prevent a leak. Was thinking about putting it vertical so the gate has some gravity to it and vacuum should still pull it up..
Fart Vader
Swill Maker

Post by Fart Vader »

Here ya go ...
http://www.supplyhouse.com/Bluefin-SCS0 ... -Lead-Free

I have a very slight incline in my line and it works like a charm, no need to go vertical.
I'd say my incline is around 5 degrees.
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Post by ShineRunner »

Thanks for that. I had looked at those exact ones.

It sounds like you're using it inline just to prevent back flow- not necessarily as a vacuum break? So vacuum still builds up in the boiler as it cools?
Fart Vader
Swill Maker

Post by Fart Vader »

Bckflow preventer only. I have to make sure my vacuum break valve is open so I don't collapse the boiler.