Thoughts on this

Steam powered cooking and distillation devices.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Opdog
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thoughts on this

Post by Opdog »

I found one of these on a local auction site: https://www.faucet.com/kohler-k-5533-in ... n/f2865199" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

It is new in the box, but does not come with a controller or drain pan. I'm thinking that it will make a spectacular steam mashing rig. I do my mashing, fermenting and distilling in my garage. I have 3/8" water lines out there already and I'm having a 240 line run next month.

The auction still has two days left, but it is currently going for pennies on the dollar. I'd be willing to pay a couple hundred for this if it will work. I'm not familiar enough with these to know if they are designed to stay active long enough to do a mash or a steam strip. Does anyone know about these?

Thanks,

Opdog
I've stopped fighting my inner demons. We are on the same side now.
Jimbo
retired

Re: Thoughts on this

Post by Jimbo »

That would be useful for sure, if you have a 100 amp feed to your garage. That thing alone wants 80 amps.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Opdog
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Opdog »

The garage is attached to the house. Then nice thing is that the main is in the basement, right next to the garage so the run is pretty short. It would be a second dedicated he circuit. I was thinking that I'd have the guy run two separate circuits when comes out.
Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hank Reardon »

Opdog wrote:I found one of these on a local auction site: https://www.faucet.com/kohler-k-5533-in ... n/f2865199" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

It is new in the box, but does not come with a controller or drain pan. I'm thinking that it will make a spectacular steam mashing rig.

Opdog
I'm thinking it is a sauna heater or steam generator for a shower...which I'm not ever going to be in...so if that is the question, one of our European folks will answer. :) Just a joke for those from France.

Not sure it generates enough steam to matter, but then again, maybe it is my batches are bigger than yours.

Seems like alot for what you are getting in my opinion. My steam injector was maybe $15.
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

80amps is alot of juice, be safer using your 240 for stilling and welding. Good ol' burning combustible fuels will give you the cheapest and most efficient way of generating steam.
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
Opdog
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Opdog »

Thanks for the advice. Someone just bid more than I'm willing to pay so I'm tapping out.
Little Hank
Novice

Post by Little Hank »

those thing can be a PITA. The drain pan was just in case it leaked. they also auto shut off. just in case anyone else think of using one. Also 13,000 watts is 54ish amps and it rated 80 with a note that said 40 amp breaker, that part was a little confusing. Just thought i'd throw that out there.
LH

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers viewtopic.php?f=15&t=52975
Hd Google Search Is your friend