Close shave today- DONT let slop settle over night in thump

Steam powered cooking and distillation devices.

Moderator: Site Moderator

The Baker
Master of Distillation

Re: Close shave today- DONT let slop settle over night in th

Post by The Baker »

Yep, that is the manometer I meant.

Geoff
The Baker
Jimy Dee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jimy Dee »

Yummy, my set up is just a straight one inch pipe going down into the bottom of the thumper, ending one inch from the bottom of the beer keg thumper. J

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Wow, I want to thank you again for sharing, it never would have occurred to me that could happen with a wide open 1" pipe.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I replied but it doesn't look as it went through so here it is, Jim, I'm glad you and the family is ok.

I apologize for never mentioning that pressure might be a real issue, I didn't think of it because I haven't filled the night before and I haven't been stripping grains for that long.
I use a preheated charge on the thumper as it sits on one of my old propane burners, I stir it until is moving on its own before shutting down the heat and connecting the piping.

I'm sure glad you caught it in time! That could have been a very bad and dangerous situation had you not.

Live and learn and I'm quite sure you learned a very valuable lesson from this and won't repeat it.

Good to know it didn't scare you away from the grains in the thumper bit. Be safe my friend!

B
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

People have had a problem with my idea of a wine cork as a fill port/pressure release on top of a keg. I might also put one in a thumper if I ran one.

If worried about the cork flying around, lay a towel over it.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

DAD300 wrote:People have had a problem with my idea of a wine cork as a fill port/pressure release on top of a keg. I might also put one in a thumper if I ran one.

If worried about the cork flying around, lay a towel over it.
:thumbup:
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

One of us needs to experiment, on how much pressure it takes to pop a lightly seated cork :D
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

shadylane wrote:One of us needs to experiment, on how much pressure it takes to pop a lightly seated cork :D
Your the one with the manometer...

Thanks for volunteering :)
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

How do you calculate the manometer pipe size liquid bath amount etc. And what do you make them from to avoid plastic?
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

bluc wrote:How do you calculate the manometer pipe size liquid bath amount etc. And what do you make them from to avoid plastic?
Dunno but bigger than the liebig/ worm diameter....

And, copper tube.

Geoff
The Baker
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Kareltje wrote:The simplest design for a relieve valve:
Klep.jpg
Just a T, an elbow and a reducer. Put a marble in the reducer, or, if you need more pressure, two marbles.
a bit too simple. i see that as a boiling/flaming fountain of mash.

whatever your PRV is, it needs to vent to a safe location away from possible sources of ignition.

(says the guy with a prv on top the boiler, that would blow shit everywhere.) :oops:
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
piddler
Novice

Post by piddler »

thanks jimmy and others for sharing this and similiar stories. As a newbie i'm quickly becoming aware of how much i have to learn in my new hobby,,,not only about fermenting, blending but especially the equipment set up. One thing that's becoming obvious is the extra risk involved when running a thumper vs just a pot and condensor w/ a "rock" on top like in the old days. i'm trying to work out the details now about how to upgrade my 20 gall rig to make it safe,(or safer) and upgrading the size of the tubing, new larger thumper and configuring some type of either "manometer" or pressure relief valve i can fill with. I'm really troubled to hear that even 1" pipe clogged. also wondering if the end of jimmy's pipe into the thumper has a 45 deg bevel on it which should help prevent the build up/clogging?

I'm looking for the right place to post more questions about pressure relief valves but the other thread i found on it went dormant w/out answering the guys question or revelation: can a regular home depot water heater pop-off valve be used in a modified installation? they're only $15 vs $100+). I'm still in early stages of research on what the best set up on the matter is for me?

Georgia passed laws a couple years ago making it easier to brew your own beer and make your own wine. With all of the "yuppies" in downtown atlanta and the burbs now getting into this hobby i'm only surprised these events don't happen more often! I consider myself a seasoned veteran at working around gas, piping and basically dangerous situations altogether and i've already spewed myself with hot wine once. I have many friends (my brother) that if ever asked "to borrow my chainsaw",, i'd stop immediately what i was doing and go help them before they managed to find one elsewhere! Unfortunately i'm now aware there's a lot folks of similiar aptitude out there with contraptions in their "man cave" which can easily put them on the "6-o'clock news"! Dealing with pressure can be a real bitch!
“Nothing in life is free,, and if you think it is,, the price your likely to pay in the future is gonna be overwhelming”