Pressure Canner for Producing Steam

Steam powered cooking and distillation devices.

Moderator: Site Moderator

WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Pressure Canner for Producing Steam

Post by WIski »

So we all know that trying to fab a still from a pressure cooker has it's challenges and is highly frowned upon here on HD but what about just using the pressure canner for producing steam to cook grains? It seems to me this would be an easy, safe mod and a good way to get into steam cooking corn. I have looked around and haven't found much on this. Any input here would be appreciated. :eugeek:
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Pressure Canner for Producing Steam

Post by WIski »

Bumping this to try and get input/ideas.

I was thinking with a readily available pressure canner you could use an existing penetration (say the gauge hole) and secure a line and steam wand to your pot or drum of corn. Boil and steam away until the grain is properly cooked. No worries about seals or aluminum since we are only boiling water and there's a PRV built right into the canner.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

I personally see no issues using a pressure cooker for generating steam.. my only concern would volume capacity.. would require a pot of a least 5 gal capacity, and working the pot off a stove top could potentially be on the slow side vers a 5500w setup..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
NineInchNails

Post by NineInchNails »

A pressure cooker should be able to be modified to heat using an electric element, hold a relatively small amount of water and replenish water automatically. This would speed up boiling time in comparison to heating a significantly larger volume of water. You could use a high temp float switch to control either a small 12V diaphragm pump to supply pressurized water or to control a solenoid valve to supply pressurized tap water. I've seen listings online for small high temp float valves too.
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WIski »

NineInch, thanks for the input. Your idea is a bit more involved than I was thinking of. I was hoping to get a large canner, Presto makes a 23 quart for about $75, and be able to cook with one fill. I would use propane fired turkey cooker burner. Some of the steam threads around here are saying 3 gallons of water converted to steam, should cook 40 ponds of corn that has been soaked with 15 gallons of hot water. If this is possible the build would be super easy. Basically just rig a steam line and dispersion head to the mashing tub. It seems to easy to be plausible. That is why I'm thinking I may be missing something here. :?:
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

WIski wrote:what about just using the pressure canner for producing steam to cook grains?
Any input here would be appreciated. :eugeek:
Only fill the pressure canner with water.
Ya don't want any chunks plugging up tubing or the unmolested factory pressure relief :lol: