Steam Exit Reducer - Pros/Cons

Steam powered cooking and distillation devices.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ERL
Novice

Steam Exit Reducer - Pros/Cons

Post by ERL »

I'm close to having my steam solution thanks to all the bright minds on this forum!

Notice in the picture below, my copper pipe doesn't have a reducer at the exit.....just straight 1.25" copper to bottom of the boiler. Any thoughts doing it this way, versus adding a reducer to smaller OD copper and drilling a series of tiny holes.
Copper Steam Tube through 1.5 inch Tri-Clover
Copper Steam Tube through 1.5 inch Tri-Clover
The 1.25 (1.375 OD) copper pipe was really tight and I had to use a rubber mallet to help it along.
1.25 Copper Tube (1.375 OD)
1.25 Copper Tube (1.375 OD)
90 degree copper Tri-Clover
90 degree copper Tri-Clover
Connect to 1.5 Tri-Clover "T" with Pressure Gauge
Connect to 1.5 Tri-Clover "T" with Pressure Gauge
Guessing I should wrap the longer run of stainless with something to insulate and reduce heat loss.
Complete Rig
Complete Rig
In this picture, the top has a cap on the top tri-clover....but that will eventually be a manometer or cork. Maybe I could just leave the stainless cap and gasket in place (no clamp) and put something very light weight on top, allowing it to act similar to a cork. Also makes for an easy port to add water (thanks for the idea MCH).
Water/Steam source
Water/Steam source

Not included in the pictures above is another piece of 1.25 copper pipe connected to a 1.5 tri-clover ferrule, which will be used for the mash-tun.

Fun stuff indeed!
To Shine or not to Shine......that is the question!
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: Steam Exit Reducer - Pros/Cons

Post by StillerBoy »

I have no experience with steam setups, but presently in the process of building a thumper/steam mashing setup..

Steam will leak into the boiler at the connection if it isn't seal properly, just a tight fit will allow steam to bypass into the boiler under pressure and not work its way down to the bottom of the pipe, and no pipe across the bottom with hole, may not heat up the mash well..

The other thing is why so far apart from one boiler to the other.. the setup I'm putting together will only be at most less than a foot, since I see no reason to have the boiler that far apart..

Just my two cents, out wise your setup look good..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
ERL
Novice

Post by ERL »

Thanks for the input Mars.

Good point on the leaking. I should be able to fix that potential issue with some silver solder.

Regarding the distance, it's currently 42 inches apart. Standing next to the equipment, it doesn't seem that bad. I'll be doing some cleaning / testing runs and will determine if it's going to be an issue.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

That's a nice looking build :thumbup:
Just a thought

Any water that condenses in the 42" steam pipe needs to run down hill, back to the boiler.
In other words when the steam leaves the boiler it needs to be heading uphill. :lol:
If it ain't plumbed right, the condensed water will be diluting the thumper charge.
ERL
Novice

Post by ERL »

Nice tidbit of info Shadylane. I have a scissor lift cart that I use, so I'll be sure to raise it so the condensed steam flows in the right direction. :thumbup:
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

ERL wrote: Notice in the picture below, my copper pipe doesn't have a reducer at the exit.....just straight 1.25" copper to bottom of the boiler. Any thoughts doing it this way, versus adding a reducer to smaller OD copper and drilling a series of tiny holes.
SteamA.jpg
Don't drill holes. There's better options
ERL
Novice

Post by ERL »

Don't drill holes. There's better options
Are you thinking along the lines of SS hose? viewtopic.php?f=92&t=52926&start=30#p7292756
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

There you go. :lol: