Venturi Effect / Steam Ejector

Steam powered cooking and distillation devices.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ERL
Novice

Venturi Effect / Steam Ejector

Post by ERL »

While looking for ideas related to steam injection, I came across several sites discussing the Venturi effect and fluid movement. Looking at the following conceptual image I thought I could work up a prototype using standard copper.
concept.png
I have a 1 inch steam wand that will connect to the left reducer, which connects to a piece of 1/2 inch pipe with a stub end. The stub is forced into another reducer and the stub end was drilled with a 1/8 bit. Finally it connects to a 1 inch T, where the 1/2 inch portion of the T was cut flush so it would all fit inside a 1.5 inch tri-clamp fitting..
img1.jpg
All pieces dry fitted.
img2.jpg
img3.jpg
img4.jpg
img5.jpg
I'm in the very early stages of testing, but figured it was worth sharing the design before joining all the parts. Comments welcome as always.
To Shine or not to Shine......that is the question!
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: Venturi Effect / Steam Ejector

Post by acfixer69 »

This is all good and i'm saying this from stuff I have installed in steam systems. They work well but eductors needed as i recall a minimal of 30 psi to induce any action.
ERL
Novice

Post by ERL »

Thanks for those details acfixer69. I'll be nowhere near 30 PSI, so the project may be a dud.......but I'll still run it and see how it performs.
To Shine or not to Shine......that is the question!
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

So it is like the fly spray pumps we used to use in the (Very) old days:
Work the handle that blows air across a small tube from the reservoir and a mixture of air and chemical kills the flies.

Geoff
The Baker