The simplest steam setup?

Steam powered cooking and distillation devices.

Moderator: Site Moderator

closetdistiller
Novice

Re: The simplest steam setup?

Post by closetdistiller »

Put a pressure relief valve on the boiler in case something gets plugged ! Sanke kegs are rated for 50-60 PSI at room temp. It's a different story when they are hot, especially if they are heated with a burner instead of an element. SS does something called creep at high temps.

I'd put a 15 PSI pressure relief valve on any keg I was using as a steam generator. FWIW an electric hot water heater can be modified to generate steam as well.
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

I am seeing a lot of pictures of steam distillation rigs with 2 Beer Kegs ( 1:1)

This isn't making a lot of sense to me so a little edumacation is required.

What ratio of water in boiler to mash in still is going to allow you to complete a run without having to refill
the boiler in the midst of a steam distillation run?
asked differently... Is steam distillation so efficient that you can run 1:1
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

tiramisu wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:50 am I am seeing a lot of pictures of steam distillation rigs with 2 Beer Kegs ( 1:1)

This isn't making a lot of sense to me so a little edumacation is required.

What ratio of water in boiler to mash in still is going to allow you to complete a run without having to refill
the boiler in the midst of a steam distillation run?
asked differently... Is steam distillation so efficient that you can run 1:1
I ditched this idea and went with a vapor jacket and believe I made the best choice in my case. Apart from this, I believe that the boiler that produces steam should be larger than the wash, especially if it has internal elements that must remain immersed in water (therefore volume not available to produce steam). Maybe you can complete a strip but better stay safe.
Hogwallup
Novice

Post by Hogwallup »

seabass wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:18 am It's a typical thumper connection. A triclamp tee with a reducer and 1in copper pipe soldered in.
This is exactly what I’ve been looking for! How much water do you boil off in a typical stripping run?
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Hogwallup wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:32 pm
This is exactly what I’ve been looking for! How much water do you boil off in a typical stripping run?
There's a pretty good list of thumper threads listed in my post here on 9/26/20. If I remember correctly, your question is addressed in one (or more) of those on the list. But, since every still is a little different than the next, whatever reference you get is only that.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer