plums and plum pits

Discussions of fruits, veggies and grains other then just mashing

Moderator: Site Moderator

Grappa-Gringo
Swill Maker

plums and plum pits

Post by Grappa-Gringo » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:17 pm

Good day to all.... was given 30lbs of plums... wife and I split them and are putting them in the freezer... Anyone know any good recipes involving the pits? I remember somewhere something about apricot pits....same thing?? I can always defrost the ones in the freezer and deal with them at a later time. thanks
GG
They say, "you are what you eat"... Then I'm fast, easy and cheap!

The Baker
Master Distiller

Re: plums and plum pits

Post by The Baker » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:19 pm

Grappa-Gringo wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:17 pm
Good day to all.... was given 30lbs of plums... wife and I split them and are putting them in the freezer... Anyone know any good recipes involving the pits? I remember somewhere something about apricot pits....same thing?? I can always defrost the ones in the freezer and deal with them at a later time. thanks
GG
The woody thingies in the plums are the 'stones'.
When you break the stones you find the kernels.
Maybe you could call them pits, dunno.

The kernels in apricots taste similar to almonds, in fact they are commonly used alone or with some almonds in amaretto, the almond flavoured liqueur.
Dunno about plums but I expect you could use the amaretto method to make a liqueur with plum kernels...

Geoff
The Baker

Demy
Distiller

Post by Demy » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:40 am

It is possible to make a good liqueur with a mix of pits. 30 peaches, 30 apricots, 15 plums, 20 sweet almonds, 5 bitter almonds, 1 liter of alcohol, 1 kg of sugar, 1.5 liters of water. If you don't have all the fruits you have to use at least the prunes with the almonds. Clean the stones well and let them dry for a few days. Soak the kernels in alcohol for at least 15 days. Make a syrup of water and sugar and combine with the macerate.

montanan_hippie_man
Novice

Post by montanan_hippie_man » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:36 am

I would use caution with the plum pits... from making plum jam and wine I learned that plum pits contain a small of cyanide, and when they are cracked it releases it. That's why when making jam or jelly you can't use a power mixer to mash the fruit. I do mine by hand and it takes hours to do a 100#s. But IDK how that relates to distilling... just my two cents tho

Single Malt Yinzer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Single Malt Yinzer » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:52 am

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health ... poisonous/
https://www.today.com/health/amygdalin- ... ng-t114515

They are poisonous. To what degree - that's the question. You can heat them up (bake them) and it will destroy the amygdalin which is a precursor to cyanide.

Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:29 pm

Interesting links SMY :thumbup: