Lets get carried away with fruity goodness

Discussions of fruits, veggies and grains other then just mashing

Moderator: Site Moderator

NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Lets get carried away with fruity goodness

Post by NZChris »

The slat method that the company I worked for used, didn't involve disassembling and re-stacking the press to squeeze out more juice. The pulp came out of the press like sheets of damp cardboard, very efficient. It was the same type of press that I saw used by a UK Cider Club in a documentary several years ago.

If the owner of the wine press that I'm very fortunate to have in my shed ever wants it back, I'll build a slat and hessian press to replace it. I tried pressing a large score of free Gold Kiwifruit this year and the wine press wasn't up to the job. Slats and hessian would have given me a much higher yield.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I think burlap or monks cloth might make my method faster but I doubt anything could make it more efficient. The average figure is 16#s per gallon I routinely get a gallon out of 13#s. The french use a somewhat similar method where they will do a light first pressing, stir the pulp and do a second pressing but only collect something like 60% of the total weight in juice.

After my first pressing the pulp will be slightly damp, most people would consider it dry, and it would have yielded around a gallon from 15#s. That second pressing is just that little bit of extra juice and the pulp is largely a solid compressed mass, very similar cardboard. The 3rd pressing is largely unnecessary but can yield just that little bit extra to top up a carboy but the last juice out by itself wouldn't be worth fermenting because it contains so little flavor. It's actually pretty amazing how much juice comes out of what appears to be dry apple pomace. In the past I have even gone so far as to freeze the pomace and repress after thawing which gives a little more juice with very feint flavor that is only worth distilling for vodka.
jonnys_spirit wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:17 pm Does that 1600# (65’ish buckets) roughly yield about a 5 gallon barrels worth of aging brandy? That’s a ton of work wow!

Cheers,
J
Yes something close to 5 gallons. It is a lot of work if you look at it that way, I think it's kind of a lot of fun so it isn't much work at all. This year it's unlikely I will be doing much picking at all and last year wasn't much better but sometimes life gets in the way of the stuff we want to do.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

cranky wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:30 am , I think it's kind of a lot of fun so it isn't much work at all. This year it's unlikely I will be doing much picking at all and last year wasn't much better but sometimes life gets in the way of the stuff we want to do.
I agree it can be fun. A couple of years ago was a good a good apple year and pressed eight or nine hundred lb in an afternoon. We had friends over, food, plenty of last years cider and mead to drink and made a party of it. My press will do about 40 lb or a bit more per pressing, has the apple grinder on top. I belt the grinder up to a series E John Deere hit and miss engine so no one has to crank. Everyone goes home with cider and given the same people keep returning I will assume they had a good time.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:17 pm Does that 1600# (65’ish buckets) roughly yield about a 5 gallon barrels worth of aging brandy? That’s a ton of work wow!

Cheers,
J
It sure is! I process around 600# of apples a year and that is plenty of work!

I racked the plum must I made last week. Flavor is a little weak, I think partly because I added too much water. The other part is this variety of plums just has a more subtle flavor. I know that most would not have added some sugar but I am glad I did as it only tastes to be 5% or so and the yield would have been really low. There just wasn't any chance of getting more plums this year.

I ended up with about 8 gallons of must to run. With my adventures into all grain whisky I have made a better way to strain the plums than I did last year. Much easier. One thing I would say when working with plums, wash your gear right away. Even letting it dry for a couple hours makes it harder to clean.

What I am wondering now is: Should I run it tomorrow or let it settle for a week? I have a propane fired copper still so I am not worried about scorching. What I wonder is if more yeast flavor will come over. Since I plan to drink it white the yeast flavor won't be a plus to me.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

stillanoob wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:47 pm It sure is! I process around 600# of apples a year and that is plenty of work!
When you start getting into that volume of apples speed and ease of processing becomes important. That is why I built the chopper and keep working on improvements. Not only does the chopper make it less work it makes it a whole lot of fun :ebiggrin: Just rinse the apples, load them into the hopper and push them into the opening. No cutting to fit, no de-stemming, no nothing, just shove them into the hole. With the 3/4 HP motor it takes a whole lot of apples to make it bog down. I think a 1 HP motor would be unstoppable but I haven't yet found one for free. Mrs Cranky only works for a few minutes until I have to stop her and empty out or replace the tub I use to catch the pulp. It takes her less than 15 minutes to send 600#s them through the chopper. It takes a lot longer to press them but I can only do about 150#s per pressing. I actually have a harbor freight press in my garage, somewhere that I bought for a different purpose but am thinking about repurposing for this one. having 2 presses working at the same time should get the pressing up to 300-600 lbs per hour. I would really like a Pneumatic-hydrophilic press but they tend to be expensive and I have no budget for much of anything.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

So much to do, so little time...

Sometimes I'd just like to ramble about everything going on in my life but this thread is about fruity goodness so I'll try to keep it about that...well mostly :roll:

I have a lot of personal stuff going on right now that is interfering with fruity goodness but me being me fruit just fall in my lap.

So, last week I decided to try to make a new YouTube video about the chopper so I chopped and pressed the 108#s of pears. Filming also went badly so I needed another example of fruit going through the chopper. I had failed to get to the 2.5 buckets of apples chopped last week and as it turned out my weekend got extended to 4 days but when I went back for my 2 day work week they were still sitting there waiting for me. I found about an hour of free time to chop and set up for pressing the apples so I set about doing just that. I began by weighing them so I could keep some data on the whole thing.
APPLE PRESSING 14 AUG 21 #1A - C.jpg
APPLE PRESSING 14 AUG 21 #5A - C.jpg
After deducting 5#s for the weight of the 3 buckets they came in at 58#s. I really would have preferred 100 but this is what I have so this is what I used.

I then wired and duct taped my phone into position to film and shot the video of feeding apples in. I've been editing that video for a couple days now and hopefully will have it finished soon.

After getting the apples chopped I set them into the press and started pressing.
APPLE PRESSING 14 AUG 21 #13A - C.jpg
As described previously I do a double pressing. The first one yields the most juice at around 3 gallons.
APPLE PRESSING 14 AUG 21 #14A - C.jpg
The pulp looks like this after that first pressing
APPLE PRESSING 14 AUG 21 #16A - C.jpg
and feels a lot like oatmeal that has been sitting for a couple of hours. Some might call that dry. I might call it good enough if I had 600+ lbs to deal with but given I had only 58#s...well at this point it was actually 50 but more on that later...and several hours to keep pressure on it while I worked so I decided to get whatever I could.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

So then I switched buckets folded the 2 press bags, rearranged them in the press and did the second pressing.
APPLE PRESSING 14 AUG 21 #21A - C.jpg
When that was finished the press plates were just slightly less than 3 fingers apart
APPLE PRESSING 14 AUG 21 #24A - C.jpg
I didn't feel the need to press any more than that.

When it was done the cheese/pomace was very dry and one solid mass
APPLE PRESSING 14 AUG 21 #27A - C.jpg
APPLE PRESSING 14 AUG 21 #29A - C.jpg
Yield from the 2nd pressing was just under a gallon.
APPLE PRESSING 14 AUG 21 #31A - C.jpg
Now I thought I might do some math on this
Beginning weight was 58#s but I had some loss. I pushed the chopper just a little past it's limit, which isn't easy but I managed it and caused it to jam. When it jammed I just unjammed it and let the unchopped apples fall into the bucket then removed them when I pressed. This amounted to 4#s unchopped. I also had things get a bit messy and 4#s of chopped pulp wound up on the floor so I wound up only pressing 50#s of apples.

When all was said and done I weighed the dry pomace and it weighed 11.6#s so I extracted about 38.4#s of juice.

According to the interweb apple juice weighs somewhere between 8.43#s and 8.73#s depending on who is answering the question. One of these days I might take the time to actually weigh it and see for myself but given those figures I calculated that I should have somewhere above 4 gallons of juice but knew it would be closer to 4 and that is just about what it is. right at 4 gallons
CIDER 15 AUG 21 #1A - C.jpg
Which is happily bubbling away in my garage and probably destined to become neutral since I likely won't get any more this year.
Last edited by cranky on Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Hi Cranky,
Did you pitch any yeast on them there apples?
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:24 am Hi Cranky,
Did you pitch any yeast on them there apples?
The simple answer is yes...but it's complicated.

Since I had let it sit for more than 24hrs before moving it into the carboy and the temperature in my garage is reaching above 70 during the day it had already developed a raging wild ferment. I'm not a fan of wild ferments so I always pitch yeast even if it has already started fermenting. The sugar content of these apples is low, possibly as low as 10 brix, maybe a little higher since they have been sitting a week but still likely under 12. It seems that everything is low in sugar this year and even those higher in sugar are sour. As a result of that and the fact that I don't plan on processing any more apples this year...except maybe for filming...this batch is unlikely to be destined for brandy. Then given that I have a lot of miscellaneous alcohol and low wines in my garage that need to disappear in the next couple months it's most likely it's going to wind up in a neutral run just because I am not willing to waste the juice no matter how little sugar may be in them. Because of this I used 1118 yeast.

It's funny how my standards have changed over the years. In the old days I would have treasured this little bit of juice but today it's basically a throw away.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

I don't like wild ferments either. That is why I rinse the fruit in an iodophor solution before processing. I find it very much helps suppress natural fermentation. Is that head really as white as it looks in the picture? Almost looks like a lacto infection but too fluffy.

I will be picking a bunch of pears this week, asian and bartlett. The bartletts aren't quite ready, which is perfect. I find it is better the pick and let them ripen off the vine. I think we have discussed in this thread the core rot you can get if you let them ripen on the tree. I'm going to see if I can find some early apples to press with them. Depending on what I get and how it tastes I'll either make cider or brandy out of it. I'll also be running my plum must this week.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Picked blackberries and made blackberry juice for blackberry meringue pies.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

stillanoob wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:56 am Is that head really as white as it looks in the picture?
That picture was actually taken right after I poured it into the carboy. Currently it's a little brown ish.
Bushman wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:04 pm Picked blackberries and made blackberry juice for blackberry meringue pies.
I'm a big fan of blackberry pie :D Mrs Cranky makes a really good blackberry cream cheese pie. She also makes seedless blackberry pie that is really good. She uses tapioca pearls to simulate the texture of the blackberries. A few weeks ago my neighbor said I could pick his marionberries that are growing along the retaining wall between our properties. I might have to take him up on that.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Did I say something the other day about not picking apples this year? :problem:

Of course there are some exceptions. I'm still trying to find some that are suitable for pie and sauce...unsuccessfully so far I might add.

A couple of days ago I stopped at a gorgeous red apple on the side of the road and picked a few very unusual looking apples from it. I picked this tree once many years ago. They usually drop well before now but the tree is hanging onto them later this year. Unfortunately like everything this year they aren't very good but they are 13 brix as far as sugar. I might revisit them next year and see what they are like. I don't remember them being shaped like this in previous years but this year the apples are longer than most apples, like an apple and a half long, with 6 sides. I might see about taking some pictures later.

Then today we went over to the mobile home trying to get the energy to get it ready to sell and mow the lawn so of course I had to check on the fruit.

The plum is getting very close but isn't quite there
PLUMS 16 AUG 21 #1A - C.jpg
PLUMS 16 AUG 21 #2A - C.jpg
The Asian pears were ready and Mrs. Cranky really likes this variety so I picked all of them
PEARS 16 AUG 21 #4A - C.jpg
The European pears are still a week or two out but are actually currently at 12 brix and would probably be good for canning right now.Of course as mentioned by stillanoob pears really should be picked a little early.

The apple on the other had is dropping the greens ones
APPLE 16 AUG 21 #2A - C.jpg
APPLE 16 AUG 21 #2B - C.jpg
That tree has been pruned over the years to be very low and easy to pick. It has at least 3 and possibly 4 varieties on it. One that ripens very early and I usually miss. The green ones that are ripe now and a bi-colored one that will be ripe early next month. I decided to take a few minutes and pick some of them...well maybe 3 buckets of them...in the hopes that they would be suitable for cooking but they aren't so I guess I will just have to see what kind of cider they make.
Fredistiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fredistiller »

20210821_172520(1).jpg
Picked my rowan berries...as high as I could go. :D and almost all my elderberries from my 4 elders today. My new freezer is almost full, I should maybe have bought a bigger one!

But my grapes are in a very bad state and the blackberries go from "not ripe enough" to rotten. My rowan at the north side looks also very bad, not a single berry. A fùk*ng summer if you ask me.
IMG-20210820-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20210820-WA0004.jpg

Last year I listed places where I saw "unused" apple tree and I see the first ones falling off. I planned to make my press by the end of the summer but hell, time flies much too fast!
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Fredistiller wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:56 am Picked my rowan berries...as high as I could go. :D and almost all my elderberries from my 4 elders today. My new freezer is almost full, I should maybe have bought a bigger one!
I have the same sort of problem, freezers are full to the point I can't fit another thin in them.

I'm curious as to how use the rowans?
Fredistiller wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:56 am But my grapes are in a very bad state and the blackberries go from "not ripe enough" to rotten. My rowan at the north side looks also very bad, not a single berry. A fùk*ng summer if you ask me.
That's too bad. The summer has been screwed up here too. The apple trees aren't happy but the blackberries are. I don't know about the grapes.
Fredistiller wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:56 am Last year I listed places where I saw "unused" apple tree and I see the first ones falling off. I planned to make my press by the end of the summer but hell, time flies much too fast!
Time really does fly. I was planning on building an upgraded press for this year but have resorted to using the press at work instead.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Crushing apples for a friend. Still too green for me but I guess he wanted something tart. Note: he is a non-drinker so his cider will be used fresh or canned rather than fermented.

Fredistiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fredistiller »

cranky wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:18 pm

Rowan berries have a strong taste. They are also very acidic and have a low content of sugar.
They are not okay if you'll eat then raw. But perfect for a jam...or for distillation.

I destem and freeze them. Then had them in my fermentation with all the fruit I could pick.

Maybe I should consider having one of those strainer you talked about.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Fredistiller wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:15 am
cranky wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:18 pm

Rowan berries have a strong taste. They are also very acidic and have a low content of sugar.
They are not okay if you'll eat then raw. But perfect for a jam...or for distillation.

I destem and freeze them. Then had them in my fermentation with all the fruit I could pick.

Maybe I should consider having one of those strainer you talked about.
We have them all over the place around me, I've never picked any but might have to give them a try. I know you have to cook them to eat them, which has kind of kept me away from them.

I like seeing the old hit and miss engines actually doing work, the video is pretty cool. I'd like it to be longer :D Back when I had the Maytag engine I had considered using it to run a conventional scatter.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Looks like the hit and miss engine needs a heavier flywheel for this application,
it seems to stop dead, apparently when full load comes on.

Geoff
The Baker
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

The Baker wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:58 am Looks like the hit and miss engine needs a heavier flywheel for this application,
it seems to stop dead, apparently when full load comes on.

Geoff
Just the recording. The engine is just idling for this application, only firing every 3rd or 4th revolution. I will try and post a longer video in a few weeks when we do my batch of apples or perhaps when I press sorghum, which I hope to happen this weekend.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Picked a bag of yellow plums this morning
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Bushman wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:42 am Picked a bag of yellow plums this morning
Nice :thumbup:
I used to have a yellow plum thicket to pick from. When I discovered them they were so ripe they were just bursting with juice. I had juice running down my arms while picking them but they were super sweet and so good Mrs Cranky took them away from me.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I plan to go back in a couple days and pick more, the tree is loaded.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Bushman wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:50 pm I plan to go back in a couple days and pick more, the tree is loaded.
You can't go wrong with free plums :D
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I was looking at my sugar plum yesterday and the few it produced this year are getting close. The tree out at the mobile home are also getting close, they may actually be ready. We are getting the mobile home ready to sell and should be going out there in the next day or two. Hopefully I can get enough plums to make a ferment happen.

Speaking of ferments...I got about 100#s of apples off the tree out at the mobile home last week but they aren't suitable for much. Because I'm still making that video about the chopper I wanted to film a 100# run so I took them to work and went about filming the chopping and pressing process. This gave me another 7 gallons of juice so I'm now up to 11 gallons while actually trying not to do anything but this is more of a needed distraction right now and it's a whole lot of fun :ebiggrin:

So, now I have enough juice to run through the still once. If I break out the small boiler I can get a second run and maybe I'll manage to get a bottle or two of proper brandy this year.

Now if I weren't so picky...or maybe not such a cheap bastard :problem: ... I would probably take advantage of this weeks sale at Safeway. They have Tree Top on sale for four 64oz bottles for $5, which comes to $1.25 a bottle or $2.50 a gallon. That's not too bad if you can get the not from concentrate and best of all it's made from PNW apples not Chinese concentrate. I'm sure the price is so they can reduce inventory in preparation for this years apple harvest which will be peaking soon.

If I had a good day at the casino I might actually think about that because doing the math I could probably fill my 5 gallon barrel for $250 which would probably come to 25-30 bottles when finished. That comes to about $10-11 a bottle finished. It's not free but it's cheaper than pretty much anything you can buy around here.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

So I went to check on my 50kg of pears, took lid off, no cap, clear.
.99 SG
Is that possible after less than a month?
I used EC1118 (just bought another 250g for $20 by the way) and it has been cold here, less than 10 over night so I thought the yeast might not have been working too quickly.

It just seems a little too good to be true. Maybe it is just lockdown that is making it seem like time is going quicker. I had the heat bands on for last week or so at around 17C.

I added a bit more EC1118 and gave it a stir, see what happens between now and weekend, if it settles and clears I will strip it.

Hope you are all safe and well.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:36 am I added a bit more EC1118 and gave it a stir, see what happens between now and weekend, if it settles and clears I will strip it.
Stop fiddling with it and run it :D

I've never cleared a fruit wash. Seeing as you can successfully run with fruit pulp in a suitable pot, or with the pulp in a thumper, I don't see any advantage to racking, clearing etc..
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Did ya stick a finger in and have a taste , that will soon tell you.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:59 am Did ya stick a finger in and have a taste , that will soon tell you.
I did, I just don't know what a pear wine tastes like!

I will stop mucking around with it and run it no the weekend, will let you all know.

bottled 5l of limoncello today btw
August Limoncello.jpg
, TTFV was the base
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I disagree with Chris on the clearing. I personally feel there is an advantage to racking, clearing and letting it rest a while before running. That said the pear I pressed on the 10th is finished and clear and showing the first signs of a possible lacto infection so it will probably get run pretty soon.