Lets get carried away with fruity goodness

Discussions of fruits, veggies and grains other then just mashing

Moderator: Site Moderator

cranky
Master of Distillation

Re: Lets get carried away with fruity goodness

Post by cranky »

Big news in the world of fruity goodness!!!

Yesterday at work someone gave me a couple quarts of my favorite kind of blackberries...free blackberries someone else picked :mrgreen:

Then I was talking to the guy who has some fruit trees but sold his house and he told me the first deal fell through so it went to the second offer and hasn't closed yet so if I wanted to pick the ripe fruit I was welcome to it.

I said Hell yes I want to pick it!!! He said I could pick any fruit that was ripe so I loaded all my buckets and picking stuff in the back of the truck and headed over there at the crack of 9 this morning. His apples hadn't produced well this year but they tend to be very wormy anyway. I did get 2 buckets of them. Then I moved to the back where the Asian pear is. I didn't pick the Asian pear last year because there are 2 common types of Asian pears, one is really good, and one is terrible. I picked this tree 2 years ago and it is the terrible tree. They are no good for eating and pery made from them tastes like old nasty sweat socks :sick: I fermented them anyway and ran them through my still and the brandy that came from them tasted a lot a jar got left open under a dryer sheet :eh: It actually tastes distinctly of little white flowers. My wife actually likes it tempered down to 20-25%. I gave some to Bearriver to try and he broke it out for the get together last year. I had actually let a pear soak in that so it tasted exactly like the pears themselves. It was actually kind of funny because everybody at the get together who tried it absolutely hated it but were too polite to say so :moresarcasm:

I bet if you have read this far you are wondering why I wanted them this year. Well, when I started oaking my brandy last year I made a mistake, there as much as I hate to admit I make mistakes, I made one...sort of. I accidentally added a small amount of the brandy from those pears to my apple brandy but as Bob Ross used to say "we don't make mistakes, we just have happy accidents."

As it turned out this was one of those Happy Accidents. It added just the right amount of something to make that brandy really special...well to me anyway. I did send a sample to MCH and he seems to approve, but then again, he might just be being polite :roll: but I liked it so much I'm going to try to duplicate it this year :D

So his Asian pear tree actually produced this year, unlike mine, and I got a little over 3 buckets of pears from it.

Then I started picking blackberries, I now have a new 2nd favorite blackberry... free thornless blackberries. I really need to get me some of those. They were HUGE and just so easy to pick because you don't have to deal with the thorns. Here is a picture showing the average size if them.
BLACKBERRIES 16 AUG 17 #1 - C.jpg
So I couldn't help myself, I had to pick as many as I could, which came to a little more than 3 gallons :ebiggrin: I am currently juicing them and hope to use them towards that blackberry brandy I've been trying to get around to.

So here is a picture of today's haul
PEARS 16 AUG 17 #1 - C.jpg
I also noticed he had an English walnut tree so I picked a few greens one hoping it isn't too late to make some Dio Palinka.

Then I headed home. On the way I decided to swing by that tree I talked about the other day. As luck would have it the couple who own the house happened to be walking out to their car just as I drove up. So I got out and asked if I could pick some apples. He said "pick all you want" I said if you say that to me I will pick all of them. He said "Go ahead, we were about to take an add out on the internet to see if anybody wanted them and put a sign up that says 'free apples"

So I told him I'll be back tomorrow or the next day and pick everything I can.

So I have plans to pick tomorrow morning and maybe process them in the afternoon.

This afternoon and evening I we have been busy making jelly. I like Jelly day, even though it's pretty time consuming it's nice to get the next years jelly made. We have made both Blackberry and cherry. I wanted to do blueberry but once again that isn't going to happen :(
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Here is today's jelly production
JELLY 16 AUG 17 - C.JPG
The front 5 are blackberry the rest are cherry. I might have to give up some more blackberry juice because my wife wants to give jelly out for Christmas this year but I will still have enough juice left over to hopefully motivate me to go out blackberry picking so I can get enough juice to do that brandy.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

This morning I went and picked the tree I talked about yesterday. It looked like this when I got there.
APPLES 17 AUG 17 #1 - C.jpg
There is a second small tree next to it but it isn't ready to be picked yet :(
Because the owner knew I was coming they were nice enough to lock up the dogs. From the fence and what looked like a kennel I figured they had dogs, which was one of the reasons I didn't go up and knock on the door last week.

I got a little over 7 buckets of apples off this one.
APPLES 17 AUG 17 #2 - C.jpg
After I was done picking I went ahead and raked up all the apples that were on the ground because the owner is blind and his wife needs a walker so I figured they didn't need apples left on the ground getting in their way.

After I finished picking I decided to finally go down to the park and see how the antique tree is doing.

There is one tree next to the antique that doesn't produce on a regular basis but this year it is loaded
APPLES 17 AUG 17 #3 - C.jpg
The antique is also very heavily loaded
APPLES 17 AUG 17 #5 - C.jpg
You can see part of that one tree near the bottom

Here is a close up to show just how many apples are on this tree
APPLES 17 AUG 17 #4 - C.jpg
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Nice cranky - do you ever give the donor tree's owners a wee bottle as a "Thank you " ?
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I forgot to mention, after juicing the blackberries I checked it with the refractometer and it is 17 Brix, I think thats the highest sugar content I've ever seen from blackberries.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Pikey wrote:Nice cranky - do you ever give the donor tree's owners a wee bottle as a "Thank you " ?
Because I give away wine and cider for Christmas at my work I tell people that contributors get extra. I don't give away brandy to any contributors though because I don't know the tree owners well enough and don't want the people I work with to be certain of my activities, I'm pretty sure they already suspect though :roll: I do ask the tree owners I pick from if they would like some juice or hard cider and if they do will bring them some. Last Christmas I gave the owner of the transparent an 18 pack of 12 oz bottles and 6 pack, or maybe 12 pack :problem: of 22 oz bottles of hard cider. I think I got something like 40-50 gallons off his 2 trees. This year he won't be getting that much because I only got about 12 gallons from those trees but he will get some.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I didn't tell you guys about it the other day because I wanted to confirm what it was but when I was picking Wednesday. While looking around the house I noticed a tree with some funny looking fruit that I thought I recognized but was surprised to see one here in Wa. I didn't think they would grow here. So when he got to work today I showed him the picture and asked him if it was what I thought it was and he confirmed that yes it is. He also told me they grow extremely well here and if I go back I could probably find some saplings that I could take home and grow my own.
MYSTERY 16 AUG 17 #8 - C.jpg
I'm sure some of you guys will recognize these right away, they are Pawpaws. So I may have to head back over there tomorrow and see if I can get some thornless blackberry starts and maybe a pawpaw tree or two and maybe I can even find a persimmon sapling because he has a persimmon tree too :D so just maybe there are some persimmon saplings too.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Wow, cranky, exciting days of fruity goodness!

Those blackberries look awesome, and how nice to have the truck on the road, eh?

I did recognize the paw paws, as I grew up near a town called Paw Paw and always wondered what they were, so googled them once.
I still haven't ever seen one in the flesh, let us know how they taste.

I'm no needlessly polite sorta guy, your brandy is very special. It has not been easy but I have been saving the last part of the bottle to take to Butch's get together in sept to share with others. I did just have a small taste just to make sure and I stand by my impressions, very unique and fruity. Would love to finish off this bottle but I feel good about sharing with other members in VA next month.

I also have one of your bottles of barrel aged cider left and I'm trying my damndest to bring that as well. Also a real treat, oaky apple cider on a summer day is perfect.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:Wow, cranky, exciting days of fruity goodness!

Those blackberries look awesome,
Yes, it's always exciting when I discover new stuff, whether its a new apple tree or a new fruit. I especially like finding new fruit. The blackberries are really good this year, those were especially good because I picked those 3 gallons of berries in less than 20 minutes and at 17 brix that means the juice is about 1.07SG or about 9.5% potential alcohol. Most of the fruit this year is running a little higher in sugar than most years. The blackberries are so good this year there are people picking on the side of the road everywhere.
MichiganCornhusker wrote:and how nice to have the truck on the road, eh?
Having the truck up and running has been invaluable. I haven't had to do much to it since I got it running...well I did have the heater core fail :( but fortunately Willys designed this truck to be easily worked on and 2Hr later it had a new heater core and was back on the road. There are a few things I want to do to it, like do the bodywork and a new paint job but I'm not willing to stop driving it long enough to do them. I love driving this truck, the sound of the engine is AWESOME!!! and it's really hard not to just slam my foot to the floor after every stop. The only thing that holds me back is the gas mileage, which is bad enough when I drive like an old lady much less if I drive like a teenager :roll: It's like having an old muscle car that can haul 1,000 lbs of apples in the back :ebiggrin: I could go on and on about it but don't want to piss Tater off with getting too far off topic :roll:
MichiganCornhusker wrote:I did recognize the paw paws, as I grew up near a town called Paw Paw and always wondered what they were, so googled them once.
I still haven't ever seen one in the flesh, let us know how they taste.
I think I have a vague memory of trying them in the distant past but can't say for sure that I ever have. My understanding is they have about another month or so before they should be ripening. The developer who was the the first accepted offer tried to stall the closing so the owner cancelled the sale and went with the 2nd offer, he had multiple offers, I think they are scheduled to close Tuesday. As it turns out I know the father of the guy who is buying it so I will probably be able to go by after they begin to ripen and pick some, or maybe all :think: Maybe get some figs from the huge fig tree in the back. My wife would really like to make some fig preserves. There is one thing though, his father has actually mentioned once that they had looked into building a clawhammer still from a kit so he might be wanting all that fruity goodness on that property for his own spirits.
MichiganCornhusker wrote:I'm no needlessly polite sorta guy, your brandy is very special. It has not been easy but I have been saving the last part of the bottle to take to Butch's get together in sept to share with others. I did just have a small taste just to make sure and I stand by my impressions, very unique and fruity. Would love to finish off this bottle but I feel good about sharing with other members in VA next month.

I also have one of your bottles of barrel aged cider left and I'm trying my damndest to bring that as well. Also a real treat, oaky apple cider on a summer day is perfect.
Well I hope the people there enjoy whatever product of mine finds it's way there. I'm actually not very happy with the apple brandy I have from the past 2 years and it may just get run through again so that bottle may be the only taste anybody gets of my apple for a long time. I made the mistake of giving my son a bottle of that barreled cider and now whenever he comes over he asks for some. I may run out before I can give any more away.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Oh, you're Givin it away alright but he's the lucky recipient :D
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Shine0n wrote:Oh, you're Givin it away alright but he's the lucky recipient :D
That's true, I do have a thing I do for him because he had gotten to be such a mooch about wine and cider. I'll try to post the whole long drawn out explanation tonight. It's actually quite funny.
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

After two slim years here for apples, this year is a doozy, started collecting the earlys tonight to stash in the walk in freezer until I'm all done pickin.
Pretty sure im going to need more crates this year.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

wtfdskin wrote:After two slim years here for apples, this year is a doozy, started collecting the earlys tonight to stash in the walk in freezer until I'm all done pickin.
Pretty sure im going to need more crates this year.
Nice looking tree :thumbup: it's always nice when the trees cooperate :D
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Bright and early this morning I put Mrs Cranky to work chopping apples and pears. OK so maybe it wasn't all that early because the choppers are pretty loud and I didn't want to wake the neighbors, so at a respectably early time of the morning. We had 13 buckets full that needed chopped and pressed. I washed them and loaded the hopper, she fed them through the chopper, then I loaded the chopped apples into the press and pressed them. The wife refused to use the super chopper, insisting on using the smaller one but everything went pretty well and didn't take too long. At the end of the day...well by early afternoon, I had everything done and had 15 gallons of fresh pressed sweet cider. While prepping and loading the buckets I made sure to keep a good mix of the pears in with each bucket of apples. The Asian pears are actually much better this year than previous years and they add a very aromatic quality that I really like.

I did a little test and broke out my little press and pressed a sample and determined that I could have possibly gotten 0.6 gallons more if my press were a bit better or if I repressed everything in the little press. I then fed a bag worth through the food processor and found that it is potentially possible I could have gotten 3 more gallons if I could get the chop fine enough but I don't like to break the seeds and this method is so much faster than my old one. so I will be happy to get the 15 gallons and not worry about that extra 3.

If I did the math right, this brings my running total up to 32 gallons. I believe I will be able to easily get another 13-15 gallons from the antique tree in the park and that should take care of my goals this year. Now while I'm waiting on that antique tree to start dropping apples I need to start concentrating on the front porch, shed and fence or the wife won't let me play with fruit next year. :roll:
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

My blackberry liqueur (which I should call eclipse as I picked the blackberries during the eclipse) turned out great. The main difference on the recipe listed below is I made half of the simple sugar used with some of my Panela.
Blackberry Liqueur
Blackberry Liqueur
Blackberry Liqueur Recipe
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

That looks delicious Bushman :thumbup:

I was looking in my freezer the other day and saw I still have a gallon or two of blueberries that need to get used, so maybe I should make up some of that.

I also saw that I have 5 gallons of frozen plums, a gallon or two of blackberries, a gallon of blackberry juice and some miscellaneous other fruit. Now I'm considering doing a mixed fruit again. I was very happy with the last mixed fruit I did. I really wanted to make a proper blackberry brandy but time is escaping me again. I stopped yesterday to pick a few blackberries on my way home from work in the hopes of eventually getting the 9 or 10 more gallons of blackberries I would need to do that but I would need to stop and pick every day to get there and I'm not sure I have it in me.

I was going to stop and pick more blackberries today but when I got to work one of the guys who has plums asked me to come pick them after work. So when I got to work I drove out to West Seattle. It was actually a nice drive. I took the freeway and this is the first time I have ever gotten my truck over 50 MPH :roll: I actually got it up to 68 MPH :esurprised: and it ran and drove like a new truck. I managed to get about 9 gallons of nice big ripe European plums which I now have to deal with in the next day or two.
PLUMS 02 SEP 17 - C.jpg
Also Friday another guy gave me 12 half pints of peach preserves he made that he doesn't like and asked if I could do something with them. He has a peach tree that actually produced this year and he made the preserves following a recipe he had never used which called for lemon juice. As it turns out the preserves now have a lemony flavor that he doesn't like. I don't know if I am going to make a wine from it or try to make something I can distill for him. He is the only person I work with who knows I distill. Any suggestions?

When I stopped to pick blackberries yesterday I picked an apple from the antique tree. It tested at a solid 11 brix and is very close to ready to pick so I need to get my buckets ready to start picking. Fortunately the antique holds onto them for a long time and they keep very well so I can stop every day and pick a bucket or two and after a week or two process them. I also checked on the KD tree which seems to have produced well this year. It may have even produced enough that I can do an iced apple. I only have 3 bottles of iced apple left from the last time it produced enough and they are AWESOME!!!! It's a pain to make but so good it is worth it.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

So I've stumbled in to the apple jackpot.
I was golfing yesterday for the first time in years at this particular course and saw that there were apples lying on the ground everywhere.
It used to be an orchard there but they built a golf course over it and kept some 30 odd trees there that are just dropping the fruit to the ground and totally goes to waste.

I inquired about em and they say, yeah , have at it, someone may as well use em.

So having no tools for apple what so ever, what's the best way forward?
I can't remember in your new apple chopper thread, how much apple juice do you get per lb of apples.
I'm inherently lazy and cheap so would like the path of least resistance pointed out as I'm a total fruit noob.

cheers
Don't be a dick
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Careful sp. If you thought distilling was an addiction and rbbit hole, free fruit is even more so.
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Swedish Pride wrote:So I've stumbled in to the apple jackpot.
I was golfing yesterday for the first time in years at this particular course and saw that there were apples lying on the ground everywhere.
It used to be an orchard there but they built a golf course over it and kept some 30 odd trees there that are just dropping the fruit to the ground and totally goes to waste.

I inquired about em and they say, yeah , have at it, someone may as well use em.

I can't remember in your new apple chopper thread, how much apple juice do you get per lb of apples.
I'm inherently lazy and cheap so would like the path of least resistance pointed out as I'm a total fruit noob.

cheers
I usually get about a gallon (American) for every 16 pounds of apples. I might be getting just a little less than that with the coarser chop of the newest chopper. Depending on size of the apples a 5 gallon bucket full weighs 20-24 pounds. A couple weeks ago I got 15 gallons of juice from 13 buckets of apples and pears. If you have a large amount of apples it's easy to sacrifice a bit of juice for greater speed. I'm very envious of your situation but getting up to that kind of production quickly would be quite a chore. Of course you don't have to do all of them...I would have to but I can't pass up free fruit :roll: An old tree can produce a LOT of apples. Last year I got 600 LBS off a single 50 year old tree, even smaller trees often produce 7 or 8 buckets worth. 30 trees could easily produce 6,000 Lbs, I think that's about 2,700 Kilos minimum :esurprised: That's a lot of apples to process with little time to get up to speed but it could produce 375 gallons of cider and around 22 gallons of proofed brandy :crazy: I'd have to go see Odin about a barrel :think: My current setup could handle that much over a week or two but that would be a lot of work.

I don't know if you have anything like Harbor Freight over there but if I was in the situation you are in and had the money I'd probably go the route Bushman took in this thread
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 83&t=51537
because it would be a fast way to get up and running. If money was an issue, like it always is with me, I would probably make something quickly like my test chopper where I cut slots in the bottom of a bucket, some sort of guide to keep it centered, sharpened up a couple paint mixers and ran it with a drill and do as much as I possibly could. Have I ever mentioned that I love apples :ebiggrin:
yakattack wrote:Careful sp. If you thought distilling was an addiction and rbbit hole, free fruit is even more so.
+a million but you could probably tell that from what I posted above.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Swedish Pride wrote:So I've stumbled in to the apple jackpot.

cheers
I have a garden shredder which I would take apart, clean and use to chop the apples into a big container.

If you take a trip to You tube, you will see some people making square "cheeses" and stacking them one on another, before jacking down on them to express the juice.

If you have a doorway in a solid brick building, you could set up a jacking mechanism in that. Probably get some more permanent gear for next year, but Time is of teh essence just now :thumbup:
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

And if you don't want to go to the trouble of installing a jack;

figure a way of putting a big water container on top (so that it cannot topple).
Easy for you mechanically talented people, I could even work it out myself...

Fill it with water.

Instant pressure!

Geoff
The Baker
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

Thanks for the feedback folks.
yeah, very lucky indeed and very short time to harvest it all.

I was laying in bed tossing and turning not beign able to sleep last night as I was turning it over in my head, how can i process all these delicious apples, I i think I read somewhere you got just less than a pint of juice form 10 apples, I used that as a guide and got 2000 apples for 100l of juice!!! :shock:

The equipment I have on hand is a food processor , a juicer and a battery powered drill, I don't believe either is a good tool for chopping the apples, not sure if any of em would last 1000 apples, and for the juicer and the foodprocessor they would have to be cored too right? Something about not breaking the seeds?
Money wise it's very tight, to the point that 50 bucks outlay on grinding and pressing stuff would make a big hole in my wallet.

An other small hurdle is that the apples are at hole 16, so I'd have to trek hole 17 and 18 with arms full of apples to unload in to the carpark, I can imagine that My arm will be draggign on the ground after a few trips.

At the moment I'm thinking get a few hundred apples, core them and run em through the juicer and the foodprocessor untill they burn out and then just mix the juice and the chopped apple in a big fermenter and pitch yeast.
I know this is not ideal but is there any downsides to press teh apples after fermentation, to me they would probably be easier to squeeze after fermentation right?

Lots of reading and thinking to be done
Don't be a dick
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If the juicer separates out the seeds, you can put the whole fruit through, which is what I do for smallish quantities.

If you have a lot of apples, a garden shredder, a car jack and a press built out of wooden slats and some sacks should be more efficient than any kitchen juice extractor and most wine presses.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Not sure about your set up with the still but if you have a thumper you could always press enough juice for you pot and steam strip the juicy pulp.?.?.?

Not sure but after fermentation I'd think pressing would turn to apple sauce, like I said I'm not sure.

I'm picking today and will only press enough to fill the boiler then ferment the pulp as well to put in the thumper, probably whip it up to apple sauce for that too.

Never thought of the door jam but that's a hell of an idea! Thanks!!!
Good luck SP
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Sp. A 12 dollar mortar mixer in a bucket (with a lid) is all you need to grind them efficiently. You just have to be careful. Press can be cobbled together pretty cheap.
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

I’m most likely going to go the washing machine route:

https://youtu.be/Nj9z7NbO9mk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Chop and centrifuge in one go!
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Swedish Pride said, 'I'd have to trek hole 17 and 18 with arms full of apples to unload in to the carpark'

Borrow a golf buggy?

Geoff
The Baker
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Given what you have on hand, this is probably the cheapest route
corer.JPG
I got mine at the dollar store for $1. It cores and slices them then you can feed the slices through the food processor or juicer. I bet I've done at least 1,000 Lbs that way before I started upgrading. Chopped fine enough in a food processor the pulp will bleed quite a bit.

The problem with fermenting on the pulp is the pulp floats on the juice that bleeds and it will be a whole lot to keep pushing down. My understanding is the Germans ferment on the pulp for schnapps but they actually add some water.

As Yak suggested, a mortar mixer works pretty well but some people have had trouble with them breaking through the bucket so it takes a bit of care but it did work well for me before I started going crazy with the chopper :crazy:

There are lots of creative ways to press the juice. If I had no budget I might make a lever type sort of ass press. One or two boards to make a lever and plunger, some bolts and a bucket with holes drilled in it might work pretty well, or just an ass press.
Swedish Pride wrote: I think I read somewhere you got just less than a pint of juice form 10 apples, I used that as a guide and got 2000 apples for 100l of juice!!! :shock:
That figure is far too subjective because apples vary tremendously in size and juice content. Some of my apples run 80 to a 20 Lbs bucket, or 4 apples per Lbs, that's about 1 gallon (3.785L) for every 64 apples and others 150 to a 24 Lbs bucket, which is 6.25 apples per pound, or a gallon per 96 apples. I have picked apples that run as many as 200 to a bucket and I've seen some store bought apples here that are larger than a pound each, which theoretically would produce 1 gallon from only 16 apples. Then to further mess things up some apples I pick produce as much as 2 gallons of juice per bucket. Those figures are using a pretty ideal pressing method, so you can't really give an accurate per apple figure.

I'll also say I actually think I get better results and more flavor from a less than ideal pressing method. The juice produced from a very heavy pressing seems to actually get thinner in flavor than the the juice that comes out just from bleeding or a light pressing. I used to press then freeze then repress the pulp until I did a test and kept the results separate and found that the brandy distilled from the 2nd pressing had very little if any flavor and only served to water down the flavor of the entire batch. It would have made a nice vodka though. On that note I believe Calvados regulations actually require that the weight of the juice will not exceed 65% of the weight of apples being pressed because the flavor gets thinner as you press heavier.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

The Baker wrote:Swedish Pride said, 'I'd have to trek hole 17 and 18 with arms full of apples to unload in to the carpark'

Borrow a golf buggy?

Geoff
+1
I used to sneak into a restricted area to pick and would have to haul them a good distance back to the car. It's isn't easy trekking long distances with 40-60 Lbs of apples each time but since you have permission to pick you could probably bring in a wheeled cart, little red wagon, or maybe borrow a golf cart or talk to the grounds keeper, they usually have a small truck like thing and might be willing to help or haul for you since you are actually doing him a favor by removing the apples.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

The Baker wrote:Swedish Pride said, 'I'd have to trek hole 17 and 18 with arms full of apples to unload in to the carpark'

Borrow a golf buggy?

Geoff
Little brother is a builder - bought a golf buggy and made a trailer - to carry demolition spoil through a building where no vehicle could go and otherwise wheelbarrows and loads of labourers would cost the earth !