Lets get carried away with fruity goodness

Discussions of fruits, veggies and grains other then just mashing

Moderator: Site Moderator

distiller_dresden
Trainee

Re: Lets get carried away with fruity goodness

Post by distiller_dresden »

Oldvine Zin wrote:HaHa Dresden and dammit cranky for getting us excited for our once a year fruit season!

So you spent a couple hours picking apples in the freezing rain, spent $12 for deer apples, and $4o to press them. So not counting your time the juice came out to $17ish a gal, it's hard to put a monetary value on what we do to make the best we can in this hobby. Ol Gooseeye was giving me shit for spending $8ish a gal, hard to put a price on homemade quality.

Good luck
OVZ
Yeah, it was more than I can pay for fresh pressed cider as Fort Wayne has a year-round cider house that makes their own hard ciders, and you can buy fresh pressed cider there too for $7 a gallon. But it was more the experience of it all, and that my dad and I picked several varieties of apples, and the 'deer apples' also had just a huge mix of groundfalls -- honeycrisp, and shit I don't remember all the apple types. We did talk to a farmer who bought into a $10,000 study with the university of Minnesota for a specific growing regime on Tangos. He couldn't sell any yet, he has to participate in the study for 5 years until the trees producing can be brought to market, but he shared an apple with us and it was the best Tango I've had. They have a specific regimen of fertilizing and care that he said is really a pain in the ass, but he's only 2 years in and the apples he's producing are great. It was a Tango that was very much like the best honeycrisps I've had, it was crispy, and juicy, and tart with a kick. At first it had a taste of McIntosh to it, then at the end each bite settled out to be like a more tart honeycrisp. The initial flavor of McIntosh was interesting and great though, it's a flavor I associate with apples that have pink veins running through the flesh. Whatever the UofM study is doing, it's developing some marvelous Sweet Tango's for market.

The cider from the pressing was a LOT sweeter than any 'normal' cider I've had, I think this is due to the windfalls being ripe fallen apples which continue to ripen on the ground, then get bunched and bagged together. The house smells like apple cider and wine, which I attribute to the blueberry backset and the alcohol developing in the wash. I can't wait to run it; I did save 24oz of the fresh wash, prior to yeast pitch, and then microwaved it to kill anything that was there from the groundfalls. This fresh wash will charge my thumper when I do the run; it's a process I had GREAT success with when I did my blueberry wash, the flavor that carries over into the distillate is amazing and so much better than just using fermented wash; I bolster these 'fresh wash' thump runs with 8oz of neutral or flavored vodka where possible (for the blueberry it was 8oz of blueberry Smirnoff). I think I will bolster this apple-blueberry thump charge with some of my blueberry brandy that's just 2 weeks old atm, and some of my apple brandy. Just can't wait to cook this apple-blueberry!

Yeah, Cranky, you got me infected with the bug! I saw the first lone tree with apples still on it and made my dad turn the car around, we have memories though that will be 'distilled' in the final brandy and will make it so much the better because of the story behind it.

Also got a bottle up there, there are LOTS of wineries. One of them makes several brandies, and a hard cider. Well, they had a product that was their oak-aged apple brandy, cut with their hard cider, and blended with their own maple syrup and some ice wine. It is one of the most marvelously delicious 'commercial' products I've ever had!

Cranky - what's going on in that photo of the plum tree??
I read, I write, I still.
The must interstitial man no Earth.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

cranky wrote:People do say my enthusiasm is contagious :ebiggrin:

I have fun doing it and that's hard to put a price on.

I have a little more enthusiasm to share.

Yesterday I got a text that amounted to "Hey, you want my plum tree? I'm having it taken out to build a guest house." I figured he was having it cut down and figured I could use the wood for aging so I replied, "I would like the trunk unless your going to dig it up roots and all"

He then sent me this picture
PLUM TREE 22 OCT 18 - C.jpg
So I told my wife I was going to be late because I needed to run up and pick up this plum tree. She wan't all that happy about it but was OK with it and my truck really needed a good run down the highway at high speed to clear out the carbon that has built up over the past year and a half since I've seen this tree.

When I got there I realized the tree had grown considerably since I last saw it but it wasn't too heavy and 2 of us easily fit it into the back of my truck. I then tied it down and headed home.
PLUM TREE 22 OCT 18 #1 - C.jpg
When I got home I got a half barrel I'd been using for compost and stuck it in it as a temporary place to put it. A while back one of my bosses mentioned that he wanted a fruit tree so I offered it to him. If he doesn't want it later this winter I'm going to prune it down to 8ft or so and plant it in my back yard. It's mature enough that if it lives through all this it will be producing a nice amount of Italian plums in another year and a half :D
Haha! :clap: :thumbup: Laughed reading that, can relate I guess, would have done exactly the same.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

distiller_dresden wrote:Cranky - what's going on in that photo of the plum tree??
The first picture is the one he sent me showing it on the ground at his house just after removal. The 2nd picture is the tree hanging out of the back of my truck. We actually had to prune it a bit to keep it from dragging the ground. The 3rd one is the tree in a half 55 gallon drum in my front yard. I did a lot of bad sloppy photo shopping to cover up things that are far too recognizable, like the neighbors car, which is why it looks so weird. I usually take a lot more care with photoshopping things out but I didn't have all that much time yesterday.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Jimbo wrote:Haha! :clap: :thumbup: Laughed reading that, can relate I guess, would have done exactly the same.
How could I pass up a perfectly good plum tree for free :D It makes damn good plums too.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Life has been very busy for me lately. I seems I can never find time for anything...well, I did find time to juice the 3 gallons of blackberries I managed to pick this year. That got me 3.5 qts of straight blackberry juice.
BLACKBERRY JUICE 27 OCT 18 #2 - C.jpg
The reason it's only 3.25 quarts is the reason I juiced them in the first place... I needed to make ice cream and our current favorite ice cream is vanilla ice cream with cashews mixed in and a ribbon of a thick blackberry syrup (really more like a thin jelly) My plan now is to make and can all of that into a thin jelly that can be mixed with the ice cream whenever I make it.

Mrs Cranky is ready to try out her new automatic jelly maker so we also cooked and strained the seeds out of 2 gallons of blueberry jelly. It's a huge pain to do that but she hates those little blueberry seeds.

In other fruity goodness news I gently bumped a KD apple today and it fell off in my hand. I took it inside and checked it and it was a solid 19 Brix which isn't the highest KDs have hit but isn't bad :D
KD 27 OCT 18 #1 - C.jpg
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

19 brix??? Seriously?
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Jimbo wrote:19 brix??? Seriously?
Yes, that's one of the reasons I have been trying to clone them for so long. Low acid, high sugar. They make an amazing iced apple without too much concentrating. I think that one year we had a bad drought they hit around 21. I'm pretty certain this puts them in the top 10 and possibly top 5 for sugar production. There are a few that can hit that level, there is one called Lady Alice that routinely hits 18-20 Brix and one called Ashmead’s Kernel does something like that. There are a couple others I can't recall but the KD is so low acid the sweetness really comes through.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Today I gave in and decided to go ahead and press the bucket and a half of apples that have been riding around in the back of my truck for the past couple weeks. So I took them to the back yard, cleaned everything and set to work. As usual the chopper made short work of them but they were only enough to fill 2 press bags. So I folded the 2 bags over and set to work pressing. At the moment I'm up to about 2.5 gallons but still pressing. My method is to put pressure on it then let it sit with pressure for a bit, then come back and put more pressure on it and repeat that until it doesn't take any more pressure. Once I reach that point I will loosen everything up, fluff the pomace up and press it again, this gives me as much juice as it's going to although the last bit isn't as good as the first.

I just started on the final press because one of the press bags blew out so I'm going to call it done here in a few minutes. This should bring my total up to 75 gallons for the year...a new record and makes me happy. I still plan on driving by the blacks and see if I can catch the owner at home but I'm not disappointed if I don't.

In reality I'm thinking I might go ahead and take the chopper apart this week and put everything away for the winter.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

75 gallons. Nice! Thats a good year cranky, congrats!
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Jimbo wrote:75 gallons. Nice! Thats a good year cranky, congrats!
Thank you Jimbo :ebiggrin:

It was actually totally unintentional, my plan was to only pick enough for around 20 gallons of cider but the trees went crazy this year and one thing led to another. I think I freeze concentrated 5 gallons down to 2.5 to make jelly out of, 5 gallons will go to cider and the rest will go to brandy. I just thought of the pears that need to go in the mix. I fermented them on the pulp and should have pressed them yesterday when I did those apples. I have 2 weeks off at the end of the month and hope to do most of the runs then but I need to get in gear on cleaning the garage so I'll have enough free time to do it, then I can move the Buicedes inside so Mrs Cranky can start working on it.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I'm very happy right now :ebiggrin: Another KD dropped today
KD 05 NOV 18 #1 - C.jpg
This one is the largest of all of them.

What thrills me is when I used the apple slammer to cut and core it, there was considerable resistance due the hardness of the apple and when I picked up the pieces I found they looked like this
KD 05 NOV 18 #3 - C.jpg
There is only one apple I know of that has that odd green translucence and that is the Karen's Delight. This without a doubt confirms that I have succeeded in grafting, and thus saving, the KD. Brix on this one is only 18 which is actually one of the lowest I have ever taken on a KD but I'm still thrilled with it.

In other news I also picked this little gem
GHOST PEPPER 05 NOV `8 #3 - C.jpg
That is my very first successful Ghost Chili :D
Last edited by cranky on Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

cranky wrote: In other news I also picked this little gem
GHOST PEPPER 05 NOV `8 #3 - C.jpg
That is my very first successful Ghost Chili :D
Ghosties are deeLish! Good flavor in that burn :D

Well done!

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Jimbo »

Cranky, that apple looks frozen. They get clear like that.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Jimbo wrote:Cranky, that apple looks frozen. They get clear like that.
That's one of the characteristics that distinguishes them, I've never found another apple that looks like that. Not all of them get that translucence but the ones that do tend to be quite crisp, bordering on hard and never have worms, I assume due to the difficulty of getting into them.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Not only did you save it Cranky, now you have KD seeds! Great job, juicing core apple liberal lol!

Wanting to log my hopes for some of the apple brandy you've got aging, and ask if you'd like to try any of these aging products:
Maple rum (all maple syrup, 32oz baking molasses, in wash)
Red wheat rum (think it was 4lbs malted red wheat and the rest a 50/50 blend of baking and blackstrap molasses), to become vanilla hazelnut rum via a bean and all natural hazelnut (expensive extract!)
Blueberry brandy (cost me a LOT, 15lbs blueberries, 1 gallon bb con, 2.5 gallons 100% bb juice -- this stuff is REALLY blueberry-y)
Apple blueberry brandy (3 gallons fresh press from 12 different varieties pressed myself, 12 cans of apple juice con, 1.5 lbs inverted panela for punch and flavor, 1 gallon bb backset)

My brandy skills have increased exponentially since I last made brandies. I'm prepping a cherry blueberry with 12lbs blk cherries, 1 gal tart cherry con, 2.5 gal 100% blk cherry juice, 1 gal bb backset
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

distiller_dresden wrote:Not only did you save it Cranky, now you have KD seeds!
Apple trees don't really work that way. Seeds work pretty much the same way babies work, 2 parents contribute to the genetic makeup so while the tree that grows from the KD seeds will hove some KD traits it won;t be a direct clone. The only way to clone it is to graft cuttings to a root stock or root them. The seedlings produced from those seeds might work for root stock that would be less likely to reject the cuttings from the KD so it might be worth a try growing some for that purpose.
distiller_dresden wrote: Wanting to log my hopes for some of the apple brandy you've got aging, and ask if you'd like to try any of these aging products:
Maple rum (all maple syrup, 32oz baking molasses, in wash)
Red wheat rum (think it was 4lbs malted red wheat and the rest a 50/50 blend of baking and blackstrap molasses), to become vanilla hazelnut rum via a bean and all natural hazelnut (expensive extract!)
Blueberry brandy (cost me a LOT, 15lbs blueberries, 1 gallon bb con, 2.5 gallons 100% bb juice -- this stuff is REALLY blueberry-y)
Apple blueberry brandy (3 gallons fresh press from 12 different varieties pressed myself, 12 cans of apple juice con, 1.5 lbs inverted panela for punch and flavor, 1 gallon bb backset)

My brandy skills have increased exponentially since I last made brandies. I'm prepping a cherry blueberry with 12lbs blk cherries, 1 gal tart cherry con, 2.5 gal 100% blk cherry juice, 1 gal bb backset
I have been reluctant to take you up on your generous offers due to not feeling my brandy is ready to share so I have nothing to give in return. :(
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I would like to let everybody know that yesterday I actually finished the forever porch :ebiggrin: It still needs painted which will happen within the next week or two if we can get some decent weather. I should also have the kitchen finished soon. So the biggest obstacles to my fruit related activities are almost complete :D
distiller_dresden
Trainee

cranky wrote:I have been reluctant to take you up on your generous offers due to not feeling my brandy is ready to share so I have nothing to give in return. :(
Cranky I've made several offers with no quid pro quo in mind! Whenever your brandy is ready to you, if you feel like sharing me some, that'd be awesome. But I'd like to share with you appreciatively back to Japanese maple, as well as for the input of your opinion as an experienced and knowledgeable peer on my doings.

Besides what I'd mentioned I have my aged sipping rum which sat in glass on wood for about 5 months before I backsweetened slightly. The oak, caramel (how I b/s), and vanilla (from a bean) make it quite smooth and lovely a sipper, I think. Mine but that aren't ready quite yet either, but I do want to get you on the list if you have interest. I'm really really happy with how amazingly bb my bb brandy came out, it's gotten more and more interesting with wood aging (so slight, very very used wood), and I hope the new apple blueberry follows suit because it came off the pipe so tasty.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

distiller_dresden wrote:
cranky wrote:I have been reluctant to take you up on your generous offers due to not feeling my brandy is ready to share so I have nothing to give in return. :(
Cranky I've made several offers with no quid pro quo in mind! Whenever your brandy is ready to you, if you feel like sharing me some, that'd be awesome. But I'd like to share with you appreciatively back to Japanese maple, as well as for the input of your opinion as an experienced and knowledgeable peer on my doings.

Besides what I'd mentioned I have my aged sipping rum which sat in glass on wood for about 5 months before I backsweetened slightly. The oak, caramel (how I b/s), and vanilla (from a bean) make it quite smooth and lovely a sipper, I think. Mine but that aren't ready quite yet either, but I do want to get you on the list if you have interest. I'm really really happy with how amazingly bb my bb brandy came out, it's gotten more and more interesting with wood aging (so slight, very very used wood), and I hope the new apple blueberry follows suit because it came off the pipe so tasty.
I'll Pm you
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Cranky. You are one modest mf. Open up, dude wants to experience the work of an artist. Play guitar and at some point you gotta get up and play for folk. No different here. Dont be bashful I'm CERTAIN your shit is stellar.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Jimbo wrote:Cranky. You are one modest mf. Open up, dude wants to experience the work of an artist. Play guitar and at some point you gotta get up and play for folk. No different here. Dont be bashful I'm CERTAIN your shit is stellar.
I don't feel I'm overly modest, I've shared in the past and sent things to MCH which I believe he has shared with others at times. My biggest problem with the brandy in the barrel is the batch that was run through the flute developed an isopropyl like flavor that I have never liked. The last time I checked it that flavor was almost gone. One thing is a while back MCH sent me the last bit of that 1856 (or was that 1854?) Calvadose he had, I'm glad he didn't know the value of that bottle because it was really something special to share, but it had just a hint of that same flavor in it. Time and oak are doing their job but like I said, it could use a little more of both. I owe a lot of people bottles and just bought a bunch of bottles for the purpose of sending out samples and still hope it will be ready for sending out around Christmas.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Today I mentioned my success with the KDs to some people at work. The inevitable question was then asked "How do they compare to Honeycrisps?"
:eh: I hate that question because I don't like Honeycrisps. I don't think they are very good, they tend to lack flavor, they aren't very sweet, they are too acidic and around here far too big...seriously the smallest one I could find weighed 1/2 a pound :eh: and at $1.99 a pound they are far too expensive There are many many better apples but for some reason people think they are the greatest apple in the world. I'm pretty sure that is simply due to them having one of the best and most marketable names. However I have trouble responding when people ask me how KDs compare to Honeycrisps because I haven't eaten one in many years. So this afternoon we were at the store and I bought one of those monsters to try and see just how they compare to a KD.

First the I treated it the same way I treated the last KD, I pealed it and cut it up. I purposely chose the smalles t apple I could find since KDs are small and the smaller the apple the more condensed the flavor.

I then checked the sugar content. I was surprised to find it came to only 13 Brix which is quite low for something that is supposed to be a sweet apple. As you know the 2 KDs I have checked so far this year were 19 and 18 Brix. In a stressful environment they can be as high as 21, that makes the KD significantly higher in sugar content as well as potential alcohol production.

I then took a bite. As expected it did have a crunch, it was much softer than the KD. This is expected, the KD is a very dense apple.

Juice wise, the honey crisp was technically much juicier but had very little flavor. My wife says it is not juicier, it is more watery, which is probably a better way of putting it. Due to it's density the KD tends to not give up it's juice more readily but has a much more pronounced APPLE flavor. Now a home grown or free range Honeycrisp might be less watery but when people ask me how KDs compare to Heneycrisps they are specifically referring to these commercially grown monsters so that's what I am comparing them to.

Acidity of the Honeycrisp is much higher than the KD giving it a sharpness and slight sourness, the KD doesn't have any sharpness, only sweet intense apple flavor.

The last thing is the Honeycrisp left your mouth feeling dry, almost like there is a bit of astringency there, the KD doesn't do that.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

I think the reason people are crazy for honeycrisp is the same reason I like them a lot: I grew up eating apples, lots of apples (even on an apple farm until 5yo), but in the last 18-20 years something happened to red delicious, golden delicious, they got mealy, they got soft, they got... NASTY. Not only, but red delicious I used to enjoy eating out of hand, but the skin has gotten bitter and gross, even with blanching them and washing. The simple fact is that until about 10 years ago when honeys went big (around 2007 I think), there wasn't nationwide regular availability of any NEW apples, and the apples there were had been garbage to eat raw. Of course they're still fine to cook somehow, but born in 77, well to my mind we ate apples, it was a regular thing. Apples were a large part of my childhood and adolescence. Then one day I go into the grocery, and there's this strange new apple. It's big, it's firm, it's pretty! Green, red, yellow, what is this?! It's like the apples of my youth, like a giant shiny mcintosh. Then I ate the first one, and I've been addicted ever since.

I will say you're right, the size and flavor suffering from the size... The best honeycrisp come around Sept-Dec/Jan, and the /absolute/ best we get once a year when we go to northern Michigan Traverse City, we buy 1-2 bushels. They are no more than 2.5-3" across AT MOST and they are SO incredibly flavor dense, flesh dense. The supermarket honeycrisps seem to have a limited capacity for flesh, so they get bigger and instead of growing more, they fill in what's there with moisture and stretch out, spongy in a way, but not soft. The growth comes from swelling not from, well, growth. But man, these Michigan apples... Sometimes they're twice as sweet as the supermarket ones, and they do have an acidity, but it's awesome for eating, if not for fermenting. The MI apples we get are almost like sweet tarts, or Skittles apple flavor. Pronounced tart, overwhelming sweet, and when you bite into them they are like a peach, the juice runs down your chin. The grocery honeys don't come close, and have like all other apples completely dropped in quality in the last 4-5 years, especially the 'late season' when you can get them in June, them ain't THIS year's apples.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Growing up in Oklahoma we had 3 varieties of apples in the store, Red Delicious, Golden Delicious and Granny Smith. While sometimes we got apples our main apple like fruit came from our huge pear tree in our front yard. We had fresh pears that we would pack away and store and eat most of the winter and we would can pears. I love canned pears :D When we moved here a whole new world of apples opened up, not just in the stores but all the old neglected Heirloom trees around where the orchards and farm houses used to be. Modern growing methods are producing huge and largely flavorless apples. I was actually reading an apple report on a website one day and they said in Europe they had to drastically reduce the large apples because people wouldn't buy them, after all who can really eat an apple that weighs an entire pound? There were a lot of apple trees in that area that got converted to offices and warehouses a few years ago, one tree that was about 300ft through blackberries I'm pretty certain was a Honeycrisp. I fought and cut my way back to it one day and it was alright but I think a Braeburn is much better...in truth I think many apples are better. I will admit I am very spoiled, the shear number of free range varieties I have had the pleasure of trying is astounding and each one is different and none are anything like anything commercially grown. I like that and it makes me sad for all the people who can't see the bounty they could have free for the taking. Some day I will have my orchard and it will have lots of obscure heirloom apples, nut trees too :D

Speaking of nut trees, A while back I found a full grown American Chestnut, fortunately the blight never made it to Washington so they can still be grown here. I plan on taking cuttings from that tree and seeing if I can root that as well. My wife wants almond and Hazelnut trees as well... but this is a thread for fruit not nuts...

Speaking of fruit, my boss who I offered the Italian plum tree to asked if I could bring it to work today so he could take it home and give it it's new home. He was working, supervising a big job and couldn't make it to my house to pick it up. Fortunately I had anticipated needing to load it into the back of a pickup and had it on a high spot that put it about level with my truck. So in spite of half a 55 gallon drum full of dirt and a big tree I was able to put down some boards and slide it into the back of my truck. I tied it up vertically and took it in to work. When my boss got in we moved it from my truck to his, secured it down and he headed out for his 100+ mile drive home. I hope the tree does well. I figure it will, plum trees are pretty resilient.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Today after work I had to stop at the store to pick up a few things. This resulted in me getting home an hour or so later than usual. On my way home, as usual, I drove past the black apple tree. What is unusual is that just as I was in front of the house the couple that live there were just getting out of their car. Summoning up my courage, setting aside my shyness and putting on just a hind of my finest Oklahoma Reba Mcentire like accent I stopped the car and got out to ask them if they mind if I picked some of their apples.

Not only did they say yes but they said "Pick all you want! The ones on that tree are tart and that one over there are sweet and there is a wheelbarrow full of them over there if you want. That sign on the gate says there's a dog but he's a big baby and stays in the house, so don't worry about him, just go on in the yard and pick as much as you want..." They went on and on like that for a bit, brought the dog out to meet me offered to let me use their apple picker, made sure I understood they didn't use pesticide or chemicals so there might be worms and were just genuinely nice people.

When I got home I confessed to my wife that I had gotten permission to pick apples and to my surprise she was actually thrilled. She is wanting to do some apple butter and wants to see how the blacks age. So Cranky's apple season is not over, in fact it is running as late as ever, I just need to find the time to actually pick and process them. Fortunately late apples keep and my winter vacation begins in another week or two.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

cranky wrote: So Cranky's apple season is not over, in fact it is running as late as ever...
With that, I believe my work here is done. :lol:

Good for you, and a hell of a season it has been. Thanks for the updates.

We went picking with the kids a couple months back, and the arkansas blacks were still tart. The land keep threw a couple in my wife's bag for free, becuase she is from arkansas. We put them in a cabinet, and I think they might just be breakfast tomorrow. :clap:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Today I stopped on my way home and picked the easy to reach apples. A lot of the blacks have fallen over the past week but there are still a lot on the tree. I didn't have a lot of time or buckets so I just picked the easy to reach stuff. I got a bucket and a half of the blacks and 3.5 buckets of the other ones for a total of 5 buckets.
APPLES 12 NOV 18 - C.jpg
The blacks were large for home grown apples they ran about 80 to a bucket, the other ones are huge, they actually ran 63 to a bucket. It's weird, the 3 buckets full all came to 63 per bucket and I couldn't get another one in them. I think those are the largest apples I have ever picked. In 15 minutes I had my 5 buckets filled up and headed home. I hope to get back there tomorrow and pick some more with the picker, maybe get 10 buckets of them. I'll have to look back to see but I think 10 buckets was about 29 gallons of juice but larger apples run less pounds per bucket so I expect each bucket to run around 20#s each so probably won't get as much out of them plus I'm going to have to see how many Mrs Cranky is going to steal for pies and apple butter and such but I'm beginning to thing 100 gallons may just be within reach this year.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Hehe I freakin' love you Cranky!

I wish I could try an Arkansas black, they look awesome...
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I just got back from picking apples in the rain. I planned on going yesterday but that didn't happen so I went this morning. Just before leaving to pick it started raining. I went anyway and picked in the rain. Picking went very well, the apples are very ripe so I had to be extra careful maneuvering the picker because slight bumps and shakes caused apples to rain down on my head. I lost quite a few that way and getting hit in the head by a half pound apple bomb hurts.

I'm not sure how long I picked but I had to stop every few minutes to clean my glasses so I could see the apples but I got 3 more buckets of blacks and 2.5 buckets of the other ones, which I'm thinking are probably Braeburns, This brings the total from these trees up to 10 buckets, I think it is actually about 10.5 buckets if we want to be strictly accurate.
APPLES 14 NOV 18 #2 - C.jpg
I had planned on picking up the drops but by the time I was done picking what I could off the trees I was cold, wet and tired and didn't feel like dealing with apples that may have fallen into dog poo so I didn't. If I did feel like dealing with the drops I could probably get at least 5 more buckets full.

Once I got home I brought in one of each apple to show my wife, test and taste. The Black was 14 brix, sweetish, somewhat tart and sharp flavored. The Braeburn (?) was 13 brix sweeter tasting than the black, less sharp and less tart, it was actually a very good apple for eating straight and the one both my wife and myself preferred. I think a combination of the two would make very good pie filling and apple butter. I'm going to have to haul them into the house for sorting and decisions on how many are going to be used for what.

I would like to say this is positively the end of my apple season but I will wait on that just in case.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I stopped on my way home from work today and managed to pick one more bucket of apples, so 11 buckets total. I considered the drops but didn't have a lot of time to mess with them, maybe I will go sort through those tomorrow and see if there is anything worth picking up.