Lets get carried away with fruity goodness

Discussions of fruits/ veggies and grains other then just mashing

Moderator: Site Moderator

Re: Lets get carried away with fruity goodness

Postby cranky » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:53 pm

This morning I made a decision, I decided the brandy in the barrel has improved tremendously and I think it is coming around enough that adding this years batch to the barrel will result in a good product in another year or two. So I took a little bit of whats already aged in the barrel out
BARREL AGED 12 DEC 17 - C.jpg

And topped it up with this years brandy, I think over the past 9 months the angels have been pretty thirsty and took a bit more than their fair share but precise measuring hasn't really been my strong suite so who's to really say.

I actually have a full barrel now :D I'm sorry to report that this also means that the people who have been waiting to get a taste of my apple brandy are going to have to wait yet another year, or more but I believe it will be well worth waiting for. The bit I took out of the barrel isn't bad but will get a bit more time on wood but I will give it another couple months with some oak, or maybe some Japanese maple and see how it does, who knows, maybe I will feel good enough about it that I can send out a few small samples in the spring.
Sometimes I pretend to be normal but it gets boring so I go back to being me

A message to new members
We want you to be safe and succeed so start here
My Simple Controller
My Apple Brandy Recipe
cranky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby cranky » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:04 pm

Today I managed to get my hands on some stainless steel drip pans that look like they will be perfect for an apple press.
DRIP PANS #2 - C.jpg

Now I need to start rebuilding the press.

A message to new members
My Simple Controller
My Apple Brandy Recipe
cranky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby OtisT » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:35 am

Hi Cranky. Good luck with the new press.

Japanese Maple? Have you tried that wood before, and if so what’s it like for aging? This is the first I have heard of that type of wood being used for aging, and am simply curious. Not exactly a fast growing tree, so you must be talking sticks and not a barrel.

I found a new friend with a good sized personal fruit orchard that mostly goes to waste each year. He’s a prepper with a desire to find a use for all that fruit, beyond what he can give away or can. We’ve been talking, and it will not get wasted this year. :-). I’ll be teaching him how to ferment and still and your thread will be mandatory reading for him before we start. I want him to know what he’s getting into; Fruity Goodness, of course. ;-)

Otis
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
viewtopic.php?t=52975
OtisT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby cranky » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:48 pm

I've actually been using the Japanese maple nearly as long as I've been stilling. The maple tree in my front yard was all but dead and couldn't be saved so when I had to cut it down I saved the wood and used it for my barbecue. Some of the wood was just too nice and I just couldn't bring myself to burn it so I saved it and let it age out. Then I got the idea to use it for aging and cut some up for that. I like the Japanese maple, it adds just a slight maple flavor without being as sweet as sugar maple. The first time I used it I did some things wrong and wound up with an acrid flavor but that was early in my stilling experience. I have since learned a lot about how to prep the wood. My maple tree was 25-30 years old and only 6-8 inches across so it had to be dominoes, that stuff is also very hard and it takes a really sharp saw blade to cut without burning. When I topped the barrel up with apple I made sure it was completely full so the maple bung which sticks down slightly could be exposed to the brandy in the hopes of getting just a touch of that maple in there. If you ever get the chance to try some Japanese maple I definitely recommend it.

I like doing unusual things and using unusual woods is a fun thing to do, it just takes a little research to figure out what woods aren't poison. I have a broad leaf maple log I was given a few years ago that was from a downed tree that had been on the ground for a number of years. I plan to cut that into dominoes some day and see how that turns out as well.

OtisT wrote:I found a new friend with a good sized personal fruit orchard that mostly goes to waste each year. He’s a prepper with a desire to find a use for all that fruit, beyond what he can give away or can. We’ve been talking, and it will not get wasted this year. :-). I’ll be teaching him how to ferment and still and your thread will be mandatory reading for him before we start. I want him to know what he’s getting into; Fruity Goodness, of course. ;-)

Brandy is certainly one of the best uses for fruit that I can think of. I hate seeing perfectly good fruit go to waste when it can be put to good use as brandy and will last indefinitely too :D The biggest issue with fruit is you tend to wind up with a lot of it in a short amount of time and have very limited time to deal with it. That's the basic idea that led to the apple chopper, it lets me process a lot of apples very quickly, which can be very important on those years when several trees decides to give you 600 pounds of apples each all at once. My current press is actually fairly large but still proved to be too small but is going to be a pain to take apart and resize, fortunately the wood was free and I have plenty of it. I think those pans are 24 inches square but I haven't measured, basically I need to just make the press a bit taller and it should be able to keep up, I would really like to get one or even two pneumatic hydraulic jacks which I think would make things extremely easy.

A message to new members
My Simple Controller
My Apple Brandy Recipe
cranky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Previous

Return to Fruit /Grain season is here