Gardening

Discussions of fruits, veggies and grains other then just mashing

Moderator: Site Moderator

cjones636
Novice

Re: Gardening

Post by cjones636 »

cranky wrote:
jedneck wrote:I'd rather pull weeds in the garden than waste gas mowing grass(what a waste of space). I eat veggies not grass.
I have always believed in edible landscapes. I have a real problem with morning glories, English ivy and blackberries trying to take over everything so it's a constant battle.
I HATE MORNING GLORIES!

I'm starting to beleive if you pull them up, set them a fire.... where ever the smokes lands, 100 more come up!
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

Don't know what Morning glories are good for - if anything; but marigolds are useful in the garden to repel aphids and nematodes.

https://toadstoolponds.wordpress.com/20 ... le-garden/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/marigold-v ... 35309.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Omnia mea mecum porto
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Morning glories suck, They grow underneath weed block fabric until they find a way out then they start climbing and strangling everything they touch. I have to keep a real close eye on them or they will completely engulf my blueberries.
The KYChemist
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by The KYChemist »

contrahead wrote:Don't know what Morning glories are good for - if anything; but marigolds are useful in the garden to repel aphids and nematodes.

https://toadstoolponds.wordpress.com/20 ... le-garden/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/marigold-v ... 35309.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I've heard they're good for rabbits, as well. My mom swears by them. Keeps them planted around the border of her garden.
Whiskey is rays of sunshine, held together with water.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Morning glory seeds, but well, rule #6.

Didn't learn how to make my own alcohol until after college. .. :oops:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Tis asparagus season. Picked some nuclear sized ones this morning.
IMG_20160430_43143.jpg
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Damn Jimbo, what you using for fertilizer?
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

cranky wrote:Damn Jimbo, what you using for fertilizer?
Spent bourbon and beer grains :P
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Jimbo wrote:
cranky wrote:Damn Jimbo, what you using for fertilizer?
Spent bourbon and beer grains :P
I'm seeing how apple compost works out this year. So far it seems to work well for the fruit trees :D
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

Sugar beets went in the ground today, horseradish is starting to green up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Wow, Jimbo, that asparagus steak would have paired well with one of my jumbo sweet taters...
Except all my taters are in bottles now. :D
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I have been working the garden every night after work for a while now. I have potatoes garlic onions and lettuces going crazy. Got 24 tomato and 20 pepper plants in the ground. Sowed three kinds of lettuce some Arugala Chives and basil tonight. My wormwood, Mother wort, Evening primrose, Stinging nettle Yarow, And sunchokes are all kicking but.

I still have to prep and fence the large addition to get the three sisters, Beats, Turnips, and Radishes started.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Aussiedownunder01
Bootlegger

Post by Aussiedownunder01 »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:Wow, Jimbo, that asparagus steak would have paired well with one of my jumbo sweet taters...
Except all my taters are in bottles now. :D
Bottled taters I am interested
do you have a recipie please
Greenthorn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Greenthorn »

m314 wrote:I've been into home gardening since 2000. I'd post some garden pics, but I'm not sure if they're against the rules here.
Dispensary grow? :lol:

We are avid gardeners here too. One of my favorite grows is garlic. Usually grow anywhere from 300 to 400 German red hardnecks.
Attachments
gar1.JPG
Overpriced, undersized, 5 gallon ebay electric.
Too soon we are old, too late we are smart.
Who said this was easy?
Greenthorn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Greenthorn »

Greenhouse pics, over 400 maters here, multiple varieties.
Attachments
gh.JPG
Who said this was easy?
Greenthorn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Greenthorn »

And here was yesterdays haul,
Attachments
aspar.JPG
Who said this was easy?
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

Some nice looking produce there Green.

I would like to know what some of you guys like for you favorite tomato varieties.
I know Cranky said he really liked the San Marzanos. I've never grown that one. I think it is more of a paste tomato. I don't do paste or sauce. Only salsa and use Romas, I may have to try San Marzanos for salsa.

I really like the flavor of the Sunsugar Cherry, and Sweet Baby Girl for cherries. I am growing the Cherokee Purple this year for the first time. I typically grow around 15 varieties and try new ones all the time. I like Celebrity, not because it is that great for taste, but it grows well here and is somewhat resistant to disease. I always grow early girl, bush goliath, and better bush for early tomatoes. For the bigger ones, I grow Better Boy, Mortgage lifter, Jet Star, Parks Whopper, Big Beef and some others. I really like the flavor of some of the heirlooms, but have had difficulty growing them. (Zone 6 USA). I have had to go to pots since my raised beds have become contaminated with Verticilium and Fusarium. I use 10 gal pots and it takes a lot of humous/mulch/compost...good soil, to fill them.
So what are your favorites for flavor?
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

For maters I'm fond of Amish paste. They are a big meaty duel purpose mater. Big enuf for a sammich but meaty enuf for sauce. Think Roma the size of your fist.

Just had first dinner all outta the garden of the year tonite. Mess of home raise eggs, venision sausague , kale, asperugus, chives, sage, and taters all scrambled together in one pot and washed down with whisky(home made of course).
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

The San Marzanos are also a good one for everything. In fact my wife cuts them up and eats them straight. The ones I've grown in the past got as big as my hand and about 2 inches thick. They have very few seeds and lots of meat but make good slicers as well as sauce. The big problem with them is the short growing season here. They take considerably longer than many others to mature. I like to try different varieties but my space is very limited.
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

I saw some good size San Marzanos plants at Home Depot. I think even though they take 80 days they may do okay here in my zone since they have a headstart. First time I ever saw those. I'll give em a try, they are an heirloom.
Jedneck, that mater (Amish Paste) (another large plum heirloom) sounds good too. I have never seen that one at the nurseries. I will have to order some seed and give it a try.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

I think the Amish paste are 90 days from seed to fruit. Have got my plants yet. Had rain almost everyday for the past week. The everglades are drier than my garden is now.
big help
Dunder
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

Got off work early and decided to plant half of my corn. Soon as my youngest still hand got home from school we went out and planted the bloody butcher. Still have country gentleman to plant in two weeks. I'm hoping that I get enuf bloody butcher to get a meal or two fresh and the rest minus seed stock for next year I plan on malting and smoking with the cobs for corn likker.

Edited to add that I am trying to plant mostly only heirloom varieties and save seed for next year.
big help
Dunder
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I've got part of the garden planted and I'm working up the rest of it with the old C farmall.
Figure it's time to plant the melons, squash and cucumbers.
The mators are growing in tractor tires and the greens in raised beds.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

For those that can't stand Monsanto, a lot off seed catalogs are owned by them.
Pinetree seeds http://www.superseeds.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow is a good one that has a lot of old heirloom varieties.
big help
Dunder
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

jedneck wrote:For those that can't stand Monsanto, a lot off seed catalogs are owned by them.
Pinetree seeds http://www.superseeds.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow is a good one that has a lot of old heirloom varieties.
I also like this company. Been great for me. 100% organic

http://www.seedsofchange.com/home.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: I also like this company. Been great for me. 100% organic

http://www.seedsofchange.com/home.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
One of my local stores carries seeds of change. I like them too.
Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hank Reardon »

goose eye wrote:Farmers been savin seed from the beginin.
If my neighbour got round up ready beans an
I don't and his beans cross pollinate my beans
I can't save em to replant unless I pay Monsanto.
Even thou I didn't do anythin wrong.

So I'm tole
That is a fact. Monsanto litigates against farmers all the time to force them into paying royalties. In fact, if a GMO seed is found on your property they will sue you. If you paid them for the seed last year and plant it this year, they will sue you. You are at their mercy once it starts.

I dislike Monsanto and their litigious methods, but am a sure that without some form of GMO the world would be hungrier and corn would be more expensive.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Hank Reardon wrote:
goose eye wrote:Farmers been savin seed from the beginin.
If my neighbour got round up ready beans an
I don't and his beans cross pollinate my beans
I can't save em to replant unless I pay Monsanto.
Even thou I didn't do anythin wrong.

So I'm tole
That is a fact. Monsanto litigates against farmers all the time to force them into paying royalties. In fact, if a GMO seed is found on your property they will sue you. If you paid them for the seed last year and plant it this year, they will sue you. You are at their mercy once it starts.

I dislike Monsanto and their litigious methods, but am a sure that without some form of GMO the world would be hungrier and corn would be more expensive.
Or maybe there'd be less corn syrup and corn oil that's KILLING US
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

jedneck wrote:For those that can't stand Monsanto, a lot off seed catalogs are owned by them.
Sorry Jed, but the fact Monsanto has dirty billions to buy up mom and pop wholesome organizations doesn't legitimize them cock suckers in the least.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Hey tomorrow is World Naked Gadening Day. Who's gona let it hang out? Lmao
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss