Gardening

Discussions of fruits, veggies and grains other then just mashing

Moderator: Site Moderator

GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Gardening

Post by GrassHopper »

Prairiepiss wrote:Hey tomorrow is World Naked Gadening Day. Who's gona let it hang out? Lmao
I've got a notion that if a good number of this group honored this day by gardening in the buff, World Naked Gardening Day would end.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I know I'm going to be gardening naked tomorrow :ebiggrin: Give my neighbor "Speedo Man" a taste of his own medicine.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Speedo man. :lol:

Im about to fill my freezer with chicken. If I can't figure out how to keep the little bastards out of the garden.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Prairiepiss wrote:Speedo man. :lol:
I live on a hill and there is no fence between my house and the down hill neighbor. I need to build a retaining wall and do some landscaping before I can put a fence in so for a couple years while a hedge grew in we had an unobstructed view of the neighbors back yard, we aren't the only ones either. He has this habit of deciding to lay out in his yard spread eagle wearing nothing but a speedo whenever I'm outside in the summer doing yard work :wtf: I will forever know him as Speedo Man :moresarcasm:
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

jedneck wrote:I think the Amish paste are 90 days from seed to fruit. Have got my plants yet. Had rain almost everyday for the past week. The everglades are drier than my garden is now.
Yoohoo. Found the Amish paste to try Jed.

Less than a mile from me this guy grows over a 100 different varieties of Heirlooms and sells plants as well. Pretty impressive mater garden.
Here is a photo of his garden from a previous year and a few of his favorites.
Tomatoes.jpg
Amish Paste
Anna Russian
Beefsteak
Big Rainbow
Black Prince
Black from Tula
Belgium Farmers Beefsteak
Carol Chynko's Big Paste
Caspian Pink
Costoluto Genovese
Dr Wyches Yellow
Green Zebra
Italian Heirloom
Kellogg's Breakfast
okie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by okie »

I grow a mate named Simply Fantastic. It's the best tasting and looking mater I have ever grown. I recommend them if you want a medium large great tasting red tomato, They are very hard to find so I suggest ordering seeds. You will thank me later.

I grow cherry tomatoes and the simply fantastic and also onions, peppers and cilantro. I love salsa.
Never try to argue or reason with idiots and morons, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

My corn, carrots, lettuce and beans are up now and looking very promising. Last year only 3 of the corn seeds I planted came up, it looks like pretty much all of them came up this year :D The tomatoes are struggling a bit but the nights are very cool here, normally I don't buy tomato starts until almost the end of May.

Last year Truckinbutch sent me some of his family heirloom green bean seeds, I saved enough seeds from them that I now have a second generation going, I just hope I can keep up with them, they grow very fast but can very well. I also picked up some scarlet runner beans to try this year just because they looked kind of cool and I like trying new things when I have enough of ones I'm sure of, they are also several inches tall.

I also have miniature roses that are beginning to bloom. They used to be dinner plate size roses but I have been trying to get rid of them for years but nothing works. I dig them up and they grew back, I cut them down and they grew back but began producing minies instead of big flowers, My wife likes the flowers tho and I suppose that makes them OK.
ElChupacabra
Novice

Post by ElChupacabra »

Man I envy you guys. I'm from the Midwest in the US and always had a garden growing up. I don't think we ever bought veggies from the market. But alas, my career took me to the desert. I love the heat and will be retiring from the military here, but don't know where to start with this south western soil and small yard. Like when I started this forum, I guess I will be reading alot, and look into container gardening. Keep it up guys, home gardening is becoming a lost skill. When toe zombie apocalypse hits I'm heading to one of ya'lls house, at least I know we will eat well.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

Ugh. It needs to lay off the rain for a bit before seeds start to rot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Planted the country gentleman corn and Jacobs cattle beans tonite. Also started planting pumpkins, squash and gourds. I got a 1oz pack of variety mix. Gonna plant em all to use as a supliment for the pigs. 1 oz is approx 250 seeds. I find a spot between the rocks that has some dirt and mix in a shovelfull o manure and plant seeds. I'll get what I get. Planted almost 70 seeds on the bank in front of the house. 180 to go.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Well shit I'm outta room. Cousin gave me 50 mater plants, 19pepper, 6swiss chard, bunch of parsley and a bunch of basil for the price of $4. I gave him 8. Gonna have to build more beds and loss more yard. What a pitty I workin hate mowing.
Attachments
14632601022452.jpg
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

Planted a loquat,an olive and a plum tree. Also planted some thornless blackberries this past week.
Greenthorn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Greenthorn »

Started digging up my german reds today.
Attachments
garlic.JPG
Overpriced, undersized, 5 gallon ebay electric.
Too soon we are old, too late we are smart.
Who said this was easy?
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

ElChupacabra wrote:Man I envy you guys. I'm from the Midwest in the US and always had a garden growing up. I don't think we ever bought veggies from the market. But alas, my career took me to the desert. I love the heat and will be retiring from the military here, but don't know where to start with this south western soil and small yard. Like when I started this forum, I guess I will be reading alot, and look into container gardening. Keep it up guys, home gardening is becoming a lost skill. When toe zombie apocalypse hits I'm heading to one of ya'lls house, at least I know we will eat well.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Never underestimate what you can do in pots.

We've got cilantro, basil, Rosemary, thyme,tomatoes, jalapeños, habañeros, scotch bonnets,and various lettuces all in pots out on the deck. Oh, and peas.

We had some delicious Swiss chard salads tonight-- just one pot and we can't eat it fast enough.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Got a small 50'×30' garden at my other house, my son now lives there. Lots and lots of tomato, q- cumbers, butter bean, green beans, squash, and various greens and many different herbs. Just got the fence mended to keep my son's pot belly pig out!!! If that suckered gets in there 1 more damn time i am having some fat back I'm my greens. Lol.
Been doing this for 30 years and I try my best to not ever have to buy veggies from an overpriced market. Very time consuming but worth all the work for the rewards at the end of the day. My family can make a meal from the garden alone if we choose, canning, and fresh... wow I love the options.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I let our usual self sown pumpkin take over a fair chunk of lawn in our BBQ area this year. I put up with much criticism for its untidiness and the unmowed grass until they were mature and picked. She never organised a BBQ to guilt me to clear it out, but whatever :D ... and now we are giving them away.

Now, the supermarket is selling the same pumpkins for $3 each.

Its demoralising to get off your arse and plant something when the results yield so little financially.

My gardening is becoming more related to rare, alcohol related, botanicals.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

cranky wrote: Last year Truckinbutch sent me some of his family heirloom green bean seeds, I saved enough seeds from them that I now have a second generation going, I just hope I can keep up with them, they grow very fast but can very well.
So, I was also lucky enough to receive a sack of butch's seeds last year. I planted them the second week of June, by seed, and transplanted them a couple weeks later. They took their time, until they latched on to my pergula. Once they realized that, boom!
img20170916_164119.jpg
I just wanted to say thank you to butch for the 300 (?) year old seeds :thumbup: . They are delicious and here's the first canning. I admit, I over pressurized the 3 on the left.
img20170916_164222.jpg
They are still coming, and the summer seems to be lingering. Thanks for passing them on, butch :thumbup:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

I got a bunch of peaches and cream sweet corn planted that's gonna make some fine shine. I also have two varietys of tomatoes, cherry and big boy, speckled butterbeans, Jalapeno peppers, purple hull peas, okra, watermelon two varietys and cantaloupe
the melons are for shine too.
"Virtute et armis" By valor and arms

Let's keep our country free as God has given us.

"Give me Liberty or Give me Death."
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

The peas are ready and being picked, I'm gonna be up to my ears in tomatoes soon, but some type of rot from all the rain has hit the watermelons and seems to have infected about 70% of the watermelons. So much for the melons but I can't wait to make my annual barrel of fresh creamed sweet corn that I plan to use high temp enzymes on this year. Won't be long now.

The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Don't know about plants, but;

say you sprayed the melons with alcohol (heads, whatever, with some water), would that kill the infection??

Maybe?

Geoff
The Baker
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

I started a new gardening project three weeks ago...set-up a tub of small stones with constantly flowing water from my fish pond...an experiment to see if I can grow the worlds most valuable LEGAL crop (in NY it's getting $400 to $450 a pound---if they can get it!)...don't have any pics yet but when I do I'll post them...Oh... the plant? WASABI
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

[quote="The Baker"]Don't know about plants, but;

say you sprayed the melons with alcohol (heads, whatever, with some water), would that kill the infection??

Maybe?

Maybe so, I had something similar in mind, I cut the rot off on the new infections which amounts to the very tip of the melon and today I will spray those with some clear coat. Heads tails, who knows it may work even better. I believe this is a type of fungus it always happens after lots of rain

Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

kiwi Bruce wrote:I started a new gardening project three weeks ago...set-up a tub of small stones with constantly flowing water from my fish pond...an experiment to see if I can grow the worlds most valuable LEGAL crop (in NY it's getting $400 to $450 a pound---if they can get it!)...don't have any pics yet but when I do I'll post them...Oh... the plant? WASABI
Will this grow on the gulf coast? Tell us more, as those are interesting figures you have. Wasabi? What actually is it? I have a buddy whose talking about raising organic Shitaki mushrooms. He claims he's gonna get rich playing with poop and mushrooms now your talking about 400 a pound Wasabi so I'm all ears.

kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Wasabi is a member of the Brasica family, so it's in the same family as cabbage, mustard and Horseradish (it's sometimes called Japanese Horseradish) It takes 12 months to reach harvest size, and 18 to get to the "Big Buck" size. (200 dollar root) It's the root that's the prize. It's a plant that needs low light (direct sun will kill it) and constantly flowing cool, clean water. If the air temp gets too hot it goes dormant. Doesn't stand freezing temps either.
So...low light, cool running water, cool air temp, a long growing time with a high reward...I'm thinking indoor hydroponics, and this you can do anywhere!
The demand is going to go though the roof, the Germans are doing research into the ability of Wasabi to heal liver/kidney damage, in very small daily amounts and for only three weeks of treatment. It dissolves scar tissue in the liver and kidneys and promotes new tissue growth. If this research can verify these results, the value of Wasabi will go up a hundred fold overnight!
Right now Korea, Taiwan and New Zealand are all trying to meet the demand, but with the Japanese homegrown wasabi and the imported plants, only 80% of the Japanese domestic demand is being met.
You can find it here in the States...My oldest son went to a Japanese sushi restaurant in NY city, just after New Years. The line waiting to get in, went around the block. He and his party finally got seated and a sushi chef came to the table - and GROUND THE WASABI IN FRONT OF THEM for their sushi---FRESH WASABI. The meal cost a BUCK AND A QUARTER A PLATE! ! ! For only a half a dozen sushi pieces! ( Well, eight to be exact...to me that's an appetizer not a meal!)
SO I think there is a HUGE opportunity...I think you only need green, wet thumbs.
It's defiantly worth looking into...Kiwi
Getting hung up all day on smiles