SRD and I

Discussions of fruits, veggies and grains other then just mashing

Moderator: Site Moderator

Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: SRD and I

Post by Truckinbutch »

MCH , I remember reading about doing that . We followed Pint's video to the letter and got acceptable results . That makes it easier to understand these different approaches that we definitely are going to try .
Are you still using that ground cloth Flatwoods gave you to strain mash ?
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

I am using a filter contraption that I developed from this thread:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... &p=7422392" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Super easy filtering. The barrel filters work great even if using by hand, you just need to either shake it like panning for gold or stir the grains around in it with a big spoon scraping the bottom. I use the 600 micron. Easy to use before or after fermentation.

I've not done a comparison between the lazy man's mash and the version with constant stirring for a prolonged time.
The hot dump method is just so easy that I don't think I could be persuaded to rig up a stirring setup unless there was a substantial gain in conversion.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

MCH , I think I got bearings and such to build just such a contraption for filtering . I can see my shop filling back up .
Checked yesterday's batch just now . Shop temp was 60 . Water jacket was 71 . Mash was 77 . Stuck an aquarium heater in the water jacket . We'll see if that works to get a more friendly ferment temp .
Gotta do a blood stick in the AM . SRD and I are going to try to do another mash after that .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Just checked the ferment barrel . Water jacket in mid 80's and mash reading 95 . Unplugged the heater for the night . Shop temp at 58 degrees .
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

Impressive temp for a large ferment TB. May I ask which model aquarium heater you are using ? My heater doesn't go that high.I'd like to run some DADY.
Blah, blah, blah,........
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

The one I'm using on that ferment is 300 watt 70-80 gallon rated . I pulled the power tonight to keep the yeast from heating over 100 degrees . Change from yesterday indicates that they are really going to work .
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

Thank you.
Blah, blah, blah,........
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

We ordered our Gibbs Brothers 5 gallon #3 char barrels and faucets 12/27 . They shipped via UPS 12/28 . Arrived today in good order . All we got to do is provide filling . Hope to work on that tomorrow .
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

I'm so damn pumped
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Truckinbutch wrote:All we got to do is provide filling .
:thumbup:
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

:clap:

You'll really notice the difference on your spirit run compared to the UJSM.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

BayouShine wrote::clap:

You'll really notice the difference on your spirit run compared to the UJSM.
So y'all tell us and I've tasted the proof . We didn't get to cook yesterday . Spent our day redding up my shop and drinkin beer while we swapped lies .
MCH and LOKI , what would you think if you visited my uncluttered shop with newly painted floors and a lathe and milling machine in working order and everything else in it's place ?
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

I would say that'd be cause for celebration.
spirit run dave
Novice

Post by spirit run dave »

Wow! They came in quick.layoff came at just the right time.Have to start building
All things can be worked on...but you can't fix stupid!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

So , today SRD and I cooked another mash Started 22# ground corn and high temp enzyme in 9 gallons of cold water . At 163 degrees it was getting so thick we added another gallon of water . Conversion started just after that and it thinned out well .Cooked at 186 degrees for 90 minutes then cooled to 146 and added low temp enzyme . Held at 147 for 90 minutes . We agreed to only change 1 part of our protocol at a time until we are comfortable with mashing all grain . Eventually we will try some of these less time intensive methods .
we'd sampled the first mash on day 9 . Let it settle for a day and cool to 60 . Fg 0.994 . Ph dropped to less than 4.0 . That batch is cold crashing while we build the second .
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

In time you will be throwen mashes together just like you do a uj frement.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

Truckinbutch wrote:Fg 0.994 . Ph dropped to less than 4.0
Invest in a bag of oyster shells for chickens. Worth it's weight in gold to keep the pH issues at bay.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Truckinbutch wrote:...Shop temp was 60 . Water jacket was 71 . Mash was 77...
Got a pic, or more info on the water jacket fermenter :?:
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I left out an important point on our fermentors being a trash can inside a trash can . This was Dave's idea : trash bag inside the inside trash can . Fill it with mash and twist the end of the bag around a vent hose . Large scale air lock on a large scale ferment on the cheap .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

jedneck wrote:In time you will be throwen mashes together just like you do a uj frement.
What I tole Dave today .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

BayouShine wrote:
Invest in a bag of oyster shells for chickens. Worth it's weight in gold to keep the pH issues at bay.
We pitched in a double handful of crushed shells when we pitched the yeast .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

shadylane wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote:...Shop temp was 60 . Water jacket was 71 . Mash was 77...
Got a pic, or more info on the water jacket fermenter :?:
Picture a 32 gallon Brute nested in a 44 gallon Brute . Line the 32 gallon with a 50 gallon 6mil garbage bag . Pour mash in bag and twist and tape the excess bag to a length of garden hose blow off tube . Fill the gap between the inner and outer barrels with clean water and drop your aquarium heater in there .
Sumpin else we found out . You can shove the end of that hose into the mash to siphon off a sample without opening the bag and exposing the mash to outside nasties .
Last edited by Truckinbutch on Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

Truckinbutch wrote:
BayouShine wrote:
We pitched in a double handful of crushed shells when we pitched the yeast .
:thumbup:

I forgot to add some to an all corn a little while ago. It dawned on me later on when the pH crashed and the ferment stalled.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

We are still making headway . Gonna order some of that filter material MCH has figured out how to put to good use . He's mentioned how those spent grains may still be holding 25% of the fermented alcohol and need to be steam stripped .
How about steeping those grains in clean water and then refiltering ? Wouldn't a large portion of the alcohol in the grains migrate to the clean water ? Filter the grain back out and then add the fortified water to the thumper .
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Yep, that works well, TB.
You can do it at either end, before ferment or after.

I still let everything settle for a couple days after filtering to let the dust settle. Then I steam strip that trub that settles out of suspension. But I just toss the grains.
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

TB, do yall plan on sour mashing the next batch following this run?
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

BayouShine wrote:TB, do yall plan on sour mashing the next batch following this run?
This is a dance we are learning as we go . I been here a few years and have had some moderate success with sugar heads . SRD came on board and took to the hobby like a duck to water . His sugarheads and oaked UJ are fit to present anywhere . We have discussed this sourmashing AG and don't think we are at that point yet .
We want to get accomplished at straight up AG before we step in to sour mashing AG .
I came up out of the shop too tired to do too much coherent posting tonight several hours ago and here I am ; still trying to answer questions . I'm going to bed . Talk to y'all tomorrow evening .
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Truckinbutch wrote:He's mentioned how those spent grains may still be holding 25% of the fermented alcohol and need to be steam stripped .
Yep, did it again today.
I stripped about 14 gallons of clear racked ferment and collected 2-1/2 gallons of low wines at 38%.
Then I steam stripped the 5 gallons of trub and collected another gallon (almost) at 34%

Pretty typical for me to end up with about 25% of my ferment as trub. So being able to strip that is definitely worthwhile!
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

MCH, are you squeezing out any of the grain after they've passed through the filter screen?
MichiganCornhusker
retired

No more squeezing for me.
I do what TB mentioned, I strain off the ferment, bucket by bucket, through the filter contraption, and then dump the grains into a 5- gal bucket. When I get a half bucket of grains, I add about a gallon of hot tap water and mix them up good and re-strain. Then once more.
By that time the grains have been washed of any goodness and they are pretty dang dry so I just toss them at that point.

This method does add about 15% more water to the collected juice but I don't mind running my still a little bit longer in trade for not needing to squeeze to get all the product out of the grains.

TB & SRD, if you guys end up going this same route, let me know what you think. I'd like to hear if your trub levels are similar, and if you think it's worth it to steam strip it for that extra bit of alcohol.
I know that an easy way to do it is by charging the boiler with clear ferment and running it through the trub in the thumper, but try one batch doing it separately just to see what you think.